I want a new carry gun, and your opinions too!

I want a new carry gun, and your opinions too!

This is a discussion on I want a new carry gun, and your opinions too! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went shooting at a new (to me) range the other day. We shot m&p 9 fullsize, a llama (gun not animal), lc9, sw 442, Gl ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: I want a new carry gun, and your opinions too!

Lightbulb I want a new carry gun, and your opinions too!

Went shooting at a new (to me) range the other day. We shot m&p 9 fullsize, a llama (gun not animal), lc9, sw 442, Gl 100, xd40 full size and some rifles. I carry the lc9 and 442. After shooting the other I decided I am tired of the lc9 trigger. I know everyone will be surprised, I'm sure, but I decided then and there I want a new carry piece.

So what do you suggest I get? Things for you to consider: mag size limit wil not be a factor over 10 as I'm in CA. I will not buy a glock, don't like em right now. May change but.it is not an option right.now. I prefer a non full size gun, commander, compact, subcompact etc.

Really enjoyed the llama, no it didn't jam, ever, through 50 rds. Calibers I am considering are 9mm and up. I prefer a semi auto as the 442 fills my revolver desire for now. I have a good belt and will probably, almost definitely be iwb carry. I'm 6'2 260 if that helps or matters to you in your opinion process.

Will be a while before I actually buy but am looking for informed opinions I value to start the process. Sorry if I post too many posts about guns I want but I want em all and prioritizing is hard!

Thanks all,

BigJon
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Went from the LC9 to the XDs. Love it. Almost the same size, but it's a .45, and seems to be better made. The trigger is far superior too.

Take a look at the SA XD40 SC, I love mine!
    JerryMac likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

That thing allowed in CA yet????
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Oh, wait. The box to my XDs says not for sale in California. Sorry

check out a Walther P99c AS, if you can find one... my next choice for a 9mm would be a PPS then an M&P9c. Revolvers I love my LCR .38spl and I have an sp101 in my sights as well. Those would be my top choices for ccw right now.

VIP Member
    Not sure if CZ is on the approved list for CA, but if they are look at the CZ75 P-01 (9mm) or P-06 (40). As for the Llama, they are no longer made. They went out of business in the late 90,s early 2000's.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Something unusual and a little expensive...

You said you wanted something compact in size for IWB holster wear. Have you ever shot the H&K P7M8 pistol? This is an all steel, single stack 9mm gun with a squeeze cock safety. They have a great reputation for accuracy and reliability, and are quite slim for comfortable IWB wear. They are expensive, however. Here are a couple of pictures from the Internet. I don't own one but have fired one, and was quite impressed.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Rock Island 1911 officer model. One of the best pistols I've ever shot. My heart is still close to the Taurus 1911 because it was my first but I have to say that little ria is amazing. Only reason I got rid of it was because I ended up getting a nickel full size ria 1911

I wouldn't carry the llama, for size alone, however my comments on it were in regard to the platform and bullet size. It was a joy to shoot and makes me want a 1911 more! Just not sure of weight of an all steel gun is something that is an option. I know many folks do, just never done it.
    BigJon

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    I carry a Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact Pro. I've put hundreds of rounds through it and have never had a failure of any kind with it. It also comes in .40 and .45. It's dead on accurate with every shot too. It an all metal gun. No plastic for me.

It weights 23oz and is 13+1. You can also get it with 10+1.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 19, 9mm.
    Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro, 9mm. Gave To Daughter To Carry.
    Self Defense Stories
    Give me a minute before I post again.

For compact (slim) 9mms, check out the Kahr P9/CW9, and the Springfield EMP. The Kahr is so light you almost forget it's there, and the trigger IMO is one of the best of the striker-fired breed.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    You said you wanted something compact in size for IWB holster wear. Have you ever shot the H&K P7M8 pistol? This is an all steel, single stack 9mm gun with a squeeze cock safety. They have a great reputation for accuracy and reliability, and are quite slim for comfortable IWB wear. They are expensive, however. Here are a couple of pictures from the Internet. I don't own one but have fired one, and was quite impressed.

Great gun but the double stack is kinda large for carry conceal. thanks for the pictures

What about an M&P Shield ? I havent had the chance to shoot one yet but I've been reading that they're a pretty good gun.

Shield would be an option to look at...if they were allowed in CA
    BigJon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links