Recommendation for a snubby revolver

This is a discussion on Recommendation for a snubby revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tell ya what I just love my .38 really want to get some laser grips for it and maybe smooth the trigger out. Now, some ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendation for a snubby revolver

Tell ya what I just love my .38 really want to get some laser grips for it and maybe smooth the trigger out. Now, some will disagree but I think its a great carry combo. Reason is because it's just so easy no need to dress around gun. Heck, I have even went to the door in a basic white undershirt with it on. Can't beat it. I have regulated the .45 to house gun. Only thing I would suggest on the revolvers is make sure you keep it clean under the ejection star, don't want it to lock up. But this in itself is rare, good luck.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Devone6 View Post
    S&W is no longer producing the .32 H&R Magnum, that is why it is not listed on thier site. However, you can still find some (they stopped production this year) new ones in gun shops and many used ones are out there. Excellent cartridge, IMO, ballistics are about the same as .38 special, but not as hot as a +P .38. Also holds six rounds instead of five(.38) and lighter in recoil compared to .38 special, IMO. I've got one and really like it, and altough I know some say do not carry less than a .38 but Federal makes a .32 H&R JHP with better balistics than .380 and pretty equal to a .38 special that I'm sure no one would volunteer to be shot with. Maybe not a .45 or 357SIG but like you said "better than no gun". Plus light, easy to conceal, many holster options(J frame), no jams(revolver), six rounds is better than five(same ballistics), light recoil, CT laser grips available, SA/DA, and etc......

I say an excellent first carry gun for a lady who is getting her start in CCDW

Good Luck with whatever is decided upon.
    +1 on the 32H&R.

Smith & Wesson made two models recently;
    431PD - SA/DA
    432PD- DAO Hammerless

Also Taurus made the 731 in 32H&R.

I say an excellent carry gun for anyone to CCW.

VIP Member
    If your wife does not have hand/wrist injuries, with some solid determination and practice, your wife should be able to handle a .38. Yes, a .32 is better than nothing, but when it comes down to stopping an attacker, having a larger caliber would be more desireable. I hope she'll take concealed carry seriously and diligently practice so she can get comfortable shooting larger calibers. It can be done if she's willing and able, and hopefully she'll learn she is stronger than she thinks she is.

If she's thinking about concealing that single-action, she's going to have to think about her wardrobe and how she's going to conceal it. Can she draw without that hammer getting snagged in her clothes? Does she cock with her strong hand, or with her support hand? She should not be relying on using both hands, becase the other just may be restrained by the attacker or being used to fend off blows while she draws.

Invite her here - there's a few ladies around who are more than happy to encourage her.

* Added - I strongly advise against off-body carry if at all possible - purses are easy targets. Carrying on-body is very doable, if she's willing to dress accordingly.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by Devone6 View Post
    Excellent cartridge, IMO, ballistics are about the same as .38 special, but not as hot as a +P .38. Also holds six rounds instead of five(.38) and lighter in recoil compared to .38 special, IMO.
    I was considering one of the .32 revolvers because I was told the ballistics are similar to a .38 Special. But...all of the ballistic tables I looked at were based on the .32 being fired from a 5" barrel. I also researched some of the .38 Special loads made for short (2") barrels. I found that if the .32 is fired from a 5" barrel and the .38 is fired from a 2" barrel, the ballistics are indeed pretty close. But you're going to lose quite a bit of velocity with the .32 out of a 2" barrel.

I'm not picking on your choice of carry weapon. I couldn't even if I wanted to; I carry a Keltec P32 when I can't carry anything else. I'm just pointing out that barrel lengths need to taken into consideration when comparing calibers. For example the venerable .45 ACP was designed for a 5" barrel; it loses velocity quickly as barrel lengths get shorter. The .40 S&W on the other hand was designed for shorter barrels. I'd be willing to bet that the .45 and .40 are pretty close in muzzle energy when both are shot from 3-1/2" barrels.

Lastly, 6 rounds (.32) vs. 5 (.38) counts for something too though.

Snubby carry

Again thanks for the info & suggestions. Checked on the SW's, only found a few out there. Checked Taurus, was surprised to find of ALL the snubby revolvers they make ,many are .17, and ONLY 1 model in 32! Who carries a .17 snubby ??? Guess they found some folks who do, offering so many models to choose from. Wish they had that same variety in a .32.

Wife has shot .38's before, her main cowboy guns were Ruger Vaqueros in 38/357, but she switched to the Single Sixes, as the smaller frame suited her better. She handles them very well, is a very good shot and can safely handle them. ( same with a 12 ga coach gun & a lever rifle, so she could hold out until the cavalry arrived )
    I'm just not convinced her SIngle Sixes would make a good concealed carry gun. A bit large, heavy and too easy for an AD under stress with their light trigger.

She did not care for the .38 snubby revolvers I have, felt the recoil was a bit much and had a hard time with the DA trigger pull. Something I'll have to work with her on. She is just so used to cocking her SA with her left thumb.

Until we find something more suitable, she can tote her Single Six.
    She carries a purse and a business portfolio/planner most of the time, so some mode of carry of that nature might work for her. It would be hard to conceal under her usual attire. She can have it readily available in her car, where she spends a good deal of time as well. Otherwise she is normally with me.

32 H&R Magnum 4.5 inch Barrel

85 JHP Muzzle Velocity 1100 Muzzle Energy 230

38 Special 4 inch Barrel

135 JHP Muzzle Velocity 975 Muzzle Energy 285

129 JHP Muzzle Velocity 950 Muzzle Energy 255

All three Fedral, pretty close eh? Velocity/Energy drop off at distance stays consistant too.

Take solace in the fact that she is willing to carry SOMETHING!

My wife is totally opposed to carrying any gun at all, and will not even consider any training aimed at CCW because she doesn't believe in it. I have to take what little peace I can in the fact that my SP-101 sleeps next to the bed in a gun vault she knows how to open and it is a gun she would shoot if she had to. I pray she never has to, but if she does I must hope she happens to be home where there is a gun available.

Pardon me now while I go and find a brick wall to beat my head against.....

find a old model s&w model 36 or 60. have her shoot 148 gr wad cutters for range days and/or low vel ammo. load the gun with 38 +p+ ammo for carry. in a real gun fight she will only shoot two to three times, so it does not matter the size/vel of the carry ammo most gun fights are two or three rounds. do a home trigger job on the gun. have her to shoot double action only when she is at the range.

Quote Originally Posted by Garg View Post
    Take solace in the fact that she is willing to carry SOMETHING!

My wife is totally opposed to carrying any gun at all, and will not even consider any training aimed at CCW because she doesn't believe in it. I have to take what little peace I can in the fact that my SP-101 sleeps next to the bed in a gun vault she knows how to open and it is a gun she would shoot if she had to. I pray she never has to, but if she does I must hope she happens to be home where there is a gun available.

Pardon me now while I go and find a brick wall to beat my head against.....

You and me both, brother! My wife once asked me about the safety on my gun ... she meant the cylinder release on my j-frame. Yeah, I had to go over the basics with her again - same with the shotguns.
    Jack

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    First of all let me say hello.

I am new to this board. I have looked around a little and it looks like there is a lot of good information here along with a lot of good people. I hope I can contribute some while I am here.

As far as the CCW goes. I just purchased a S&W 642. This gun is the 38+P. I really wanted the Airweight 357, but I was having a problem getting into my pocket for the extra dollars. I have also been told that you really don't want to shoot a 357 out of a 10.5oz gun. I figure that a 38+P loaded with Hydrashock or Powerball will do the trick.

I custom build 1911's and I am a huge fan of the 45ACP, but I wanted something that could be carried while wearing Jeans, light weight shorts or whatever. The whole purpose of a CCW gun is to carry it. If it's in a drawer or safe it does you no good.

I shopped for the 642 for about a month and the best price I could find locally was 409.00. I checked on gunbroker.com and found it cheaper, but by the time I added FFL and shipping I was just at about the same price as my local shop.

I decided to wait for the National Gun Day gun show to come and found a new 642 for 329.00. Obviously I was quite happy. I decided to go ahead and add some cuntom grips too.

I can relate with the posts reguarding the wives and guns. My wife is not a "gun chick". Don't get me wrong... she is not scared of them and would not hesitate to blow someones head off to protect her children. That being said... she does not have the passion that I have for guns and I often get the evil eye when I bring a new one home.

If I had to purchase a CCW gun for her I would have to say that I would not hesitate to purchase another 642. It is light weight and has plenty of power. I personally would not carry anything smaller than a 38. There are also low recoil rounds availible.

I would like to say that I would carry my 45 everwhere I go, but I know I won't. It only takes a few times of saying "well maybe i'll just leave it home today because i'm wearing X. With the 642 there really is no excuse for not carring it.

I plan on trying a Clipdraw just to check it out. I have read good and bad reviews, but for 15 bucks I will make my own decision.

Well that's my take for what it's worth.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

In my opinion, don't send your wife out nothing less than .38's and consider changing the grips as mentioned

+1

HARDCORE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links