Recommendation for a snubby revolver

This is a discussion on Recommendation for a snubby revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife is about ready to get her CC license. She does mostly cowboy action shooting and of course is partial to revolvers. She shoots ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My wife is about ready to get her CC license. She does mostly cowboy action shooting and of course is partial to revolvers. She shoots Ruger .32 Single Sixes. She has tried my G 19 and 23 and does not care for themmuch. Same for my Keltec .32 & .380. She simply does not like semi-auto pistols and has trouble manipulating the slides.

She has also tried my Ruger SP101, Colt Detective Special, but does not like the trigger pull or the recoil, even with .38's.

She wants to carry her Single Six, but I've told her that is a poor choice for a carry gun. UNSAFE having to cock or let down that hammer under stress. Too easy for an AD to happen.

Since she feels she can't handle the .38 loads, I was thinking perhaps someone can recommend a good DA short framed/ barreled revolver in .32 or .32 magnum, a cartridge she is already used to firing. She is petite with small hands. I figure a .32 is better than NO gun.

I think Taurus has several, but can't recall the models and have no experience with them. ANY help would be appreciated.

I understand her mode of carry will also play a part in making this choice, but she has not yet thought that far ahead. Most likely this will ride in her purse and be in the car with her, as she travels frequently.

THANKS!!!!
    Last edited by sass20485; September 22nd, 2006 at 08:01 PM.

Smith & Wesson - 32 magnum

Smith & Wesson has made .32 caliber snubbies, although their website doesn't currently show any in production. You will see lots of slightly used ones on Gunbroker and Auction Arms, however. Here is a link and a picture to a recently-manufactured model called the 431PD, which is 6 shots of .32 magnum in a very lightweight gun:

Auction of .32 magnum S&W 431PD

Seems like the range/gunshop I shoot at had one of those Smith's in the case last time I was there. If you'd like contact info let me know and I'll dig it up.
    Jack

Does your SP-101 have the stock grips on it? If so pick up a set of Hogue Mono-Grips for it and have her try it again. Makes an amazing difference.

You can also get a Wolff spring kit for it to lighten the trigger a touch. Actually, if I remember correctly I only changed the hammer spring.

In my opinion, don't send your wife out nothing less than .38's and consider changing the grips as mentioned.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

S&W is no longer producing the .32 H&R Magnum, that is why it is not listed on thier site. However, you can still find some (they stopped production this year) new ones in gun shops and many used ones are out there. Excellent cartridge, IMO, ballistics are about the same as .38 special, but not as hot as a +P .38. Also holds six rounds instead of five(.38) and lighter in recoil compared to .38 special, IMO. I've got one and really like it, and altough I know some say do not carry less than a .38 but Federal makes a .32 H&R JHP with better balistics than .380 and pretty equal to a .38 special that I'm sure no one would volunteer to be shot with. Maybe not a .45 or 357SIG but like you said "better than no gun". Plus light, easy to conceal, many holster options(J frame), no jams(revolver), six rounds is better than five(same ballistics), light recoil, CT laser grips available, SA/DA, and etc......

I say an excellent first carry gun for a lady who is getting her start in CCDW

Good Luck with whatever is decided upon.

Quote Originally Posted by Garg View Post
    Does your SP-101 have the stock grips on it? If so pick up a set of Hogue Mono-Grips for it and have her try it again. Makes an amazing difference.

You can also get a Wolff spring kit for it to lighten the trigger a touch. Actually, if I remember correctly I only changed the hammer spring.

I agree. Shooting .38 special out of the SP101's has very little perceived recoil with the Hogue grips. Adding a 10lb Wolff mainspring will also help with the trigger pull.

.32 snubby

THANKS guys. I did put a lighter spring in the SP, but she still was not real happy with it. If I made it any lighter, then we'd have reliability issues. I've got CT laser grips on it, so I think I'll just keep it for myself. Have a Charter Arms Undercover with the rubber grips, but she was not happy with that either. The DA trigger pull is giving her fits, as she is used to a much lighter trigger on her slicked up Single Sixes she uses for cowboy action shooting, those break at around 2 1/2 lbs. I'll just have to spend some time with her a the range and get her more comfortable with the feel of a DA gun.

I'll have her look at the SW .32 that was suggested. Perhaps I can find one she can try before we buy. She is definitely a revolver shooter and does not like any semi auto pistol, as she lacks the strength to cycle the slide on most she has tried.

The real question is , How well does she shoot her single six. It may not be the best to carry but it is better then nothing. Besides before there were good double actions and semi autos the U.S. Army issued single action revolvers. She can allways upgrade, just get her carrying. She already knows safety use of single action.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    S&W 642, snubby .38Spcl hammerless (snag-free) and alloy frame. Comes stock with rubber grips.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Check out the pistols that Taurus has, they are a quality, value pistol. I have several Taurus pistol and all are worth every penny spent, and come in lots less expensive than some of the other brands.

It only makes sense that you would get a no-nonsense snub nose revolver for her use. I would bob the hammer for DAO. That way there is no excuse for a blame of "premeditated shooting" if she has to defend herself.
    Since the .38 special is too much for her and you don't want caliber size to intimidate, I'd suggest the .32 H&R magnum or .22 magnum. Don't worry about all this about one-stop shots and such because if shes intimidated by it or just plain can't hit the target, it just won't matter. No one wants to get shot, even by a pellet gun.
    I am willing to bet that one of NAA's mini-revolvers ( fixed sight black widow) in the lil' magnum chambering will have her cooing "ahhhhh its so cute". Recoil is minimum, blast is minimum. easy to conceal. The S/A is very manageable to manipulate back to safe mode.
    Like any handgun....she'll need to shoot it frequently to get used to it and its POA. If she takes to it, it'll be second nature to her....so don't make her mad... LOL.
    Good luck in your choosing !

I would recommend a slightly heavier 38 like a K-frame snubby. Recoil will be less ultra light weight J-frames and K-frames generally have great triggers.

A 32 model would be a OK choice also.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    The real question is , How well does she shoot her single six. It may not be the best to carry but it is better then nothing. Besides before there were good double actions and semi autos the U.S. Army issued single action revolvers. She can allways upgrade, just get her carrying. She already knows safety use of single action.
    +1. At least she'll have a gun until you find a 32 S&W (which would likely be my choice given what you said).
    A single action beats a stick or throwing rocks. I carry a single action for CCW about 20% of the time. It goes bang, I'm a civilian and probably won't be in long gunfights -- better not be! -- and I can shoot it really, really well. If your wife shoots one fast and accurate, that's a very good combination to get started with.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar

SW642 ct grips

Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    S&W 642, snubby .38Spcl hammerless (snag-free) and alloy frame. Comes stock with rubber grips.
    +1 for the SW642, then install a set of Crimson Trace laser grips. This setup just can't be beat. I agree with Lion, if your wife can handle a .38 caliber, that should be the target caliber.
    Good Luck, and congratulate your wife on her decision to carry. Maybe she could talk to my wife.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links