What kind of grips do you prefer for your EDC gun?

This is a discussion on What kind of grips do you prefer for your EDC gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm curious to see what others are using on their EDC gun in terms of grips. Some folks like checkered or heavily textured. I prefer ...

View Poll Results: What kind of grips do you prefer on your EDC?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Checkered

29 33.72%
  • Smooth

9 10.47%
  • Polymer

22 25.58%
  • Other

26 30.23%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: What kind of grips do you prefer for your EDC gun?

I'm curious to see what others are using on their EDC gun in terms of grips. Some folks like checkered or heavily textured. I prefer smooth since it allows me to easily adjust my grip during the draw or after presentation, if needed. That said, I also have checkered front backstraps on my 1911s, so I can still get a firm grip even with the smooth grips. I also believe smooth grips don't print as easily when carried under light tee shirts. What say you?
    BigRay

Springfield TRP Armory Kote, Springfield Trophy Match, Sig Sauer P220R SAO, Glock 35 with Heinie Slant Pro sights, Springfield Armory XDs 45, S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun, PTR-91F in 7.62mm NATO, Springfield M1A1, Sig 556 Patrol Rifle and Benelli M2 with 10-round magazine

I prefer more texture and haven't experienced any concealment issues. My 1911 is not textured on the front strap and the smooth grips with such a thin frame slip too much for me. I use Dymondwood grips from RAASCO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    LC9 is stock grips, My PPK has Pachmayr

VIP Member
    I prefer Hogue rubberized grips. I have better control of the gun with them, even (or especially) when my hands get sweaty.
    JDKinman likes this.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

i prefer soft rubber grips that are contoured/designed for the shooting hand. good examples are the hogue tamer on the LCR and the rubber grips on the CZ75, cz PO-1

The stock grip on my XDsc is fine for my EDC. I dig the texture on my XDm, and wish they made it in a sub compact, but I deal. ;)
    What immortal hand or eye
    Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

Smooth wood.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Glock grips.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Talon rubber and granulate grips are really nice. I prefer the rubber.

i used all kinds of grips. it depends on the gun. i have smallish hands, so the only pistol i own which has rubber grips is a single-stack 9mm - the Sig P-239. my P-220s have thin textured plastic or thin checkered aluminum grips. the P-229's wear checkered aluminum grips. my small revolvers have Hogue rubber grips. my 'K' frame and two 'N' frame S&W revolvers have wood concealment-type grips (two checkered, one smooth). my .22LR Browning Buckmark Micro's have smooth laminated wood grips, mostly because i like the way they look better than the stock rubber ones. the only gun i have which still wears the stock grips is my 5" 1911, which has the checkered rosewood double diamond grips it came with. even my Glock 19 had skateboard tape stick-on panels.

essentially i use what feels most comfortable and appropriate for that particular gun and its' main purpose.

Hogue or Pachmayer on my EDC guns, which are steel or alloy frame. Otherwise on my polymer guns i chose by feel in hand, therefore they are fine as is.

I'm trying a set of rubber textured talons on a G26. So far, so good.

I had rubber grips from decal grip on my Glock 27 for a while. With the hot summer I found them irritating to my skin if i didn't wear an undershirt. I pulled them off and am glad I did.

the stock rubber grips on my 642 fit my smallish hands perfectly I like the round profile and finger grooves. Alot of folks don't like the glock grips (gen 3s) but I actually like the hump on my g-26, it fits right into my palm keeping the web of my hand high on the grip. I also like the finger grooves on the glock. I know some people don't like finger grooves on grips because they don't fit their fingers well but I seem to like em on some guns at least.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

I have rubber talon grips on all of my carry Glocks. I also have a pair of hogue wrap around grips on my Kimber Custom II. I used to use hogues on my Glocks, but they shift around too much during training drills. The Talons stay put and the Hogues on the 1911 are screwed in, so they don't budge.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links