Kahr PM9, Walther PPS, M&P Shield 9mm - Range Review

Kahr PM9, Walther PPS, M&P Shield 9mm - Range Review

This is a discussion on Kahr PM9, Walther PPS, M&P Shield 9mm - Range Review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I sold my Glock G27 and I'm looking for something else. I'm currently carrying a S&W .380 Bodyguard. My wife has a M&P 9c that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Kahr PM9, Walther PPS, M&P Shield 9mm - Range Review

Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Marriott and Hilton hotels

Smile Kahr PM9, Walther PPS, M&P Shield 9mm - Range Review

I sold my Glock G27 and I'm looking for something else. I'm currently carrying a S&W .380 Bodyguard. My wife has a M&P 9c that she was going to carry but doesn't yet. I'm really up in the air between the Shield, Walther PPS and maybe the Kahr PM9. I was lucky today and I got to shoot all 3 today at the same time back to back at Shoot Straight in Tampa.

The Kahr PM9 had feeding issues big time and the 3 other PM9's they had in stock were very rough gritty glitchy catchy slides and all 3 trigger felt different especially in the pull. The store is not happy with the Kahr's for a while they told me because for every 8 pistols Kahr sends them 3-4 have issues. They also said they have issues with the Kahr brand in general and the Sig P290 and they would not recommend those guns to me.

The Kahr PM9 I shot today was a used broken in gun and it failed to feed a lot with me....I'd load the mag, rack the slide no feed and re-rack and few time and finally get a round in the chamber but the slide would either lock back after the round was fired or go back into position with out feeding another round into the Kahr. I took all the ammo out of the mag and readed to make sure everything was correct...still FTF's. I sort of lost my trust today in Kahr after feeling the new guns and firing the rental gun. Thoughts on Kahr's????? I'm not getting a great impression.

The Shield and PPS shot perfectly, accurate and buttery smooth and felt like great quality guns. Both the Shield and PPS felt good in my hand. This is the 2nd Shield 9mm I've rented and both shot perfectly. The PPS was maybe slightly more accurate for me. I played with these 2 with 100 rounds and just when I thought the PPS shot better I'd then think the Shield shot better. So I'm really up in the air between these 2. The PPS trigger is awesome with a very smooth action and great tactical short reset click. The Shield trigger is smooth too and has a nice tactical reset click but slightly less click than the Walther.

That is what I noticed in these 3 guns from my personal experience with them today at the range.

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    Better put your flame suit on as some of the Kahr fan-boys will be telling you that the problems were caused by you. Oh and by the way before anyone says something about me hating on Kahr, I have a PM9 that I like very much and works well, but just like any other gun even glocks they can sometimes be lemons and hit or miss products. God Bless

Check out my thread regarding kahr. I had one (P380) with problems and gave up on the brand after I saw i wasn't alone.

I really wanted to give them another chance and when I had several kahr owners telling me to stay away. I took the advice.

if you get one working. awesome... if not, get ready for 2 trips to kahr (Well the gun) at least

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Kahr's can be finicky, but I do have 1000 rounds through mine without a single failure.

There is one thing that Kahr puts in their manual, and that guys over at the Kahr forums will swear by, that have never seen or heard of before but it does work: do not rack the slide to chamber a round. Lock the slide open, insert mag, then just reach up and release the slide and let it slam forward.

Like I said, mine has never failed me and I'll go shoot it again today.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

I have a CM9 and considered trading for the exact other 2 you shot today. Although I had 2 failures during the first 250 rounds, I decided to keep the Kahr just for pocket carry option (at least to this point). Both the Shield and PPS are a fair amount larger. Just something to keep in mind if you ever want the option to pocket carry. Good luck with your decision. All 3 are fine choices.

The Kahr I have a CM9 has been flawless. But I clean thoroughly and change the guide rod and spring every 1000 rounds. I am now at 2775 rounds through the CM9.

All the guns you mentioned are fine weapons for the task of deep cover carry weapon.

Try and shoot all of them as much as you can then make your decision.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Most importantly, buy, carry and shoot the one you want.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

I plan on making it over to the Tampa Shoot Straight this weekend for the S&W M&P event they're holding. I am going to try out the Shield in 9MM to see how it differs from the .40. I am in the air between the Shield, XDM 9c, and the XDs. Now I am going to have to try a PPS too. I have heard nothing but good so far about them...

Thanks for the report.

Quote Originally Posted by sonosam View Post
    I plan on making it over to the Tampa Shoot Straight this weekend for the S&W M&P event they're holding. I am going to try out the Shield in 9MM to see how it differs from the .40. I am in the air between the Shield, XDM 9c, and the XDs. Now I am going to have to try a PPS too. I have heard nothing but good so far about them...

Thanks for the report.
    9mm and 40 will look and feel exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    Kahr's can be finicky, but I do have 1000 rounds through mine without a single failure.

There is one thing that Kahr puts in their manual, and that guys over at the Kahr forums will swear by, that have never seen or heard of before but it does work: do not rack the slide to chamber a round. Lock the slide open, insert mag, then just reach up and release the slide and let it slam forward.

Like I said, mine has never failed me and I'll go shoot it again today.
    Tried that...didn't work.

Before somedays this is operator error...why then did the Shield and PPS fire just perfectly...with same bullets? Why does my 380 Bodyguard, the Glock G27 I had, my M&P 9c, Colt 1911, Glock G19 and 26 I'm boworrowing from a friend all feed and fire with zero issues? I personally do not have any problems with taking fire arm lessons and learning but the issue with the Kahr PM9 was not me. The RO, rental counter guy, a sales guy all checked it out and they were not surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by sonosam View Post

Thanks for the report.
    I'm heading over to Shoot Straight for the M&P event too and to shoot the Shield some more. the 9mm and .40cal are the same size gun but the .40 will have more snal to it and feel like it's lifting up out of your hand and the 9mm will have less recoil and feel like it pushes back in your hand. Definitely try out the PPS 9mm they have to rent while you are at the event too. Talk to Omar and tell him Mike the tall guy with the prosthetic leg told you to try out the Kahr PM9....see if it works for you. They sent it back into the gunsmith shop so it might not be available to try.

I think we all agree reliability is the most important aspect of a defensive handgun.

If you have a gun that is not reliable dump it.
    beararms likes this.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    My Kahr P9 worked fine after about 200 rounds (I believe Kahr says 400 is the break-in, and you can debate about whether or not a gun should need a break-in period, but Kahr is at least up front about it).

I believe the consensus is that the steel Kahr guns are least likely to have issues, with the K9 and MK9 being the most reliable out of the box.

I do love my Shield, but I'd be a liar if I said I hadn't taken a gander at a PPS before the Shield came out. For me the deal breaker was the magazine release on the PPS and the fact that removing the backstrap disables the gun.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

As I said on Glocktalk:

The Shield is just 100% pure awesome with chocolate on top

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I've owned the Kahr PM9, Kahr MK9, S&W Shield and the M&P9c.

I'll just talk about the first 3 since they are the most comparable.

For Kahr, I'd trust both the PM9 and MK9 however if I had to pick one of the two it would be the MK9. It never once had an issue with any ammo and never nose dived on me, the PM9 on the other hand would fire and cycle everything I fed it, but would routinely nosedive if I hand racked the slide. Yes, the manual says not to - whatever.

The Shield I never had an issue with, great gun and was just as easy to carry as the Kahr's but had an easier trigger pull which helped greatly with getting shots on target, especially follow up shots.

I'd still have it today if someone didn't offer to trade me even up for a Springfield XD-S (which is the reason I originally sold my Kahr's).

Since then I also sold my M&P9c because I am a fan of a single system.
    Kahr PM9 / Kahr MK9
    M&P Shield / M&P 9c
    XDM / XDS

Hope that helps!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links