A second carry gun

A second carry gun

This is a discussion on A second carry gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have just 337 trouble-free rounds through my Gen4 Glock 17 (not counting the 3 times my strong hand thumb rode the slide stop and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: A second carry gun

A second carry gun

I have just 337 trouble-free rounds through my Gen4 Glock 17 (not counting the 3 times my strong hand thumb rode the slide stop and the slide did not stay open after the last round…gotta work on my grip), and have not got my carry license yet, but I am already researching my next handgun purchase.

A friend recently let me fire 2 of his revolvers (my first time firing a centerfire revolver; I have a blackpowder revolver). They were an S&W model 36 Chief’s Special in .38 Spl. (2” barrel?), and an S&W model 19-3 in .357 Mag. (4” barrel). I fired .38 Spl. 158gr LSWCHP +P’s out of the model 36 and .357 Mag. 158gr LSWCHP’s out of the model 19-3.

I was told that the model 19-3 had some trigger work (honing?) and in SA mode it seemed like all I had to do was breathe and the gun went off. The muzzle flash was quite impressive . Firing .357 Mag. in a 2” barreled small frame revolver must be quite a handful!

The model 36 had never been fired, and when my friend told me that, I insisted that he fire the first shot(s) out of it, but he just handed me the gun and some rounds and told me to go shoot it. My friend had replaced the original grip with a 3 finger plastic grip. The grip felt nice in my hand and I could get a good hold. I did ‘feel’ the recoil from the +P rounds. It didn’t hurt, but I think that after lots of +P rounds through that gun, my hand might get a little sore. With a rubber grip, I’m sure the recoil would not be felt. Overall, I liked firing that snubby. He had a Bianchi (#2?) IWB holster for it and I tried it on. Even with the 3 finger grip, it tucked up nice and close to my body, concealed well with one of my untucked T-shirts, and was very comfortable to wear around the house. But because I would like a similar manual of arms to my Glock and a few more available rounds, I think I want a small auto…but that snubby sure felt good . I realize that I could practice/train with a 2” or 3” barreled small frame revolver enough to be proficient with it so that a switch from my Glock wouldn’t be too big of a deal. As I’m starting out shooting handguns, have lots to learn still, and plan to carry, I think an auto similar to my Glock would be best for now. Later I’ll buy a Ruger SP101 3”…

In my research, I’ve read that it is recommended to buy a duplicate or similar version of a person’s defensive handgun. Reasons were that if a person has to use their handgun in a defensive situation, that most likely their handgun would be seized while the investigation is taking place. If the person is released, they’ll need/want another handgun to use until the other one is given back to them. Also a vengeful friend/kin of the person (BG) that was shot might try and find you (GG) and do harm to you and your family. Another reason was for if your handgun had to be sent away for repairs, a second duplicate or similar handgun could be used in its place. A duplicate or similar manual of arms for immediate (and familiar) use of the handgun would be the intent.

With that in mind, I think I’d like to eventually buy a Bersa BP9cc (or a Glock 26 with a Pearce PG-26XL grip extension) for a second, smaller, similar pistol to my Glock 17. I’ll be able to conceal my 17, but I know I’ll want something smaller to carry sometimes. I have shot .40S&W and .45ACP and know that I can manage the recoil, but for now I want to stay with 9mm for ammo cost and because I have the 17 already.

The price difference between these 2 guns is roughly $70 (I can buy Blue Label Glocks as I am a volunteer fireman vs the BP9cc price at Bud’s). $70 to most of you might not be much, but it could get me some more ammo or a holster. There are no gun shops ‘locally’ (within an hour’s drive one-way that I know of) that rent guns, so I have to go by how they feel in my hands at a store. I’ve handled a Glock 26 and know that I would definitely want a grip extension. I’ve also handled a Kahr CW9 (from pictures I’ve seen, is very similar size wise to the BP9cc) and the grip is long enough for a full 3 finger grip. 8 (or 9?) available rounds with the BP9cc vs 11 for the Glock 26 is something I could live with.

I probably won’t be buying until after I get my carrying license, but I want to get this settled in my mind. I do realize that the BP is a single stack with the thinner grip (a Hogue Jr. grip sleeve might be wanted/needed for me). For those that own the BP9cc and any Glock, is the BP9cc very similar to a Glock? Is it (would it be) an easy transfer to shooting the BP trigger wise? Is the trigger reset as definite and audible as the Glocks? On the Bersa website it says 8+1 for round capacity, but I’ve seen 7+1 other places…so also for BP owners, which is it?

Kevin

Have you ever thought of getting a Glock 19?
    joker1, Toorop and nerdyvirgin like this.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TWO GUNS View Post
    Have you ever thought of getting a Glock 19?
    x2 ( since you want the grip ext on the 26 )
    joker1 likes this.

GLOCK 19, the only handgun you'll ever need.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    Spend the money on the 19.

Get the Glock 19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can also use your GLOCK 17 magazines for a spare carry magazine when you're carrying the 19. Could use the 17 magazines in the 26 if you want to also.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I have thought about how that extending the grip on the 26 would make it the same (or very close to) as the 19 grip. The extension would be to the front of the grip only...I'm not sure if that would make any difference for printing issues compared to the 19 grip. I think I'd also like the slightly shorter barrel of the 26 for a little more carry comfort.

From the specs., there isn't much difference in the numbers between the 17 and 19, but the roughly 1/2" difference in overall height and barrel length just might make the 19 easier to conceal. Right now I feel that the 19 is too close to my 17...and I really like my 17.

The main issue with getting another Blue Label Glock is the availability. I'd have to either get it from Glock directly and I believe it's a 5 month wait or I would have to go 3.5 hrs. away to Little Rock to get one...if they would have one in stock. Little Rock would work if I made a day trip with the family...but I might have to wait for background clearance and that might take till the next day.

I'd really like to get some answers to my BP compared to Glock questions. Handling the similar sized CM9 felt really good in my hands.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by flydoc View Post
    Get the Glock 19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good advice IMO. Stick with the same platform.

Keep training/practicing with your G17 so you're proficient with it and you don't have issues like " my strong hand thumb rode the slide stop and the slide did not stay open after the last round…gotta work on my grip".

You might want to seriously consider taking a basic handgun shooting course, the NRA and many gunshops make them available.

Good luck.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

I carry the S&W Airweight .38 + P and the SIG P238 (380) automatic. Each weighs about a pound and I have had no trouble with either. Also, are you thinking of carrying two guns? Your G17 as primary and brand xx as a BUG?
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    You can also use your GLOCK 17 magazines for a spare carry magazine when you're carrying the 19. Could use the 17 magazines in the 26 if you want to also.
    Good point to consider.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy1933 View Post
    I carry the S&W Airweight .38 + P and the SIG P238 (380) automatic. Each weighs about a pound and I have had no trouble with either. Also, are you thinking of carrying two guns? Your G17 as primary and brand xx as a BUG?
    To carry one gun at a time.

Kevin

Take the money you were gonna' spend on a new gun & buy instead; top-flight training, high quality gun belt/holster, along with boxes (and boxes & boxes) of ammo. Like my dear ol' Pappy used to say "A bad golfer buys new clubs but a good golfer...practices!". Nothing about that new gun is going to make you a better shooter or more prepared to protect yourself. That takes only one thing & there's no shortcuts - TRIGGER TIME.
    joker1 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Take the money you were gonna' spend on a new gun & buy instead; top-flight training, high quality gun belt/holster, along with boxes (and boxes & boxes) of ammo. Like my dear ol' Pappy used to say "A bad golfer buys new clubs but a good golfer...practices!". Nothing about that new gun is going to make you a better shooter or more prepared to protect yourself. That takes only one thing & there's no shortcuts - TRIGGER TIME.
    Agreed. The next gun that I'm posting about will be down the road a bit...just getting info right now. Until then, I am continuing to buy the ammo, and get as much trigger time as possible. After the carry license is acquired, and I have the gear to start carrying, paid training might be done as money allows.

Kevin

VIP Member
    The difference in printing issues between the Glock 19 and the 17 are considerable. I carry both, and nothing else. Ultimately, the 17 will get a grip chop.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links