S & W Sigma 40

S & W Sigma 40

This is a discussion on S & W Sigma 40 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One of my sons just traded for a SW40VE Sigma in 40 cal, of course, with SS slide. It's in really nice condition and seems ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: S & W Sigma 40

Question S & W Sigma 40

One of my sons just traded for a SW40VE Sigma in 40 cal, of course, with SS slide. It's in really nice condition and seems like a pretty solid firearm. He wants to carry this as his EDC once he gets his permit.

I've owned several S&W revolvers, but all of my autos are Springfield Armory & Glock. I don't have any experience with the Sigma, and have never owned/shot a 40 cal. How many of you guys carry one? Any problems or issues I should know about? What is your choice on self defense loads for this?

I'm helping him pick out better sights, and a holster. Not too happy with the sights it came with.

TIA
    Tim
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

He'll be owning a GLOCK in short order. Sigmas have the most God awful trigger on earth. Lets face it, until the M&P came out, S&W just couldn't make a semi auti to save their kiesters.
    PIMking likes this.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

CJM
    My only experience with them left a lasting impression of just how awful a trigger pull could be in a semi auto. But if your son likes it, that's all that matters. Good luck to him.

I was issued one for about 1yr, trigger SUCKED! We then switched to Glocks thankfully, qualifying was actually work with that gun.

Distinguished Member
    Funny thing - it must be a "personal" type of thing. I can't stand the Glock triggers but my wife's former Sigma 9WF (prior to getting the M&P Shield) was fine by me and her.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

That trigger is tight. I agree with that. I'm used to my XDm and to me, it's like lifting weights with one finger. He just got it yesterday so he hasn't used it yet. We'll see how he likes that trigger.

This brings up another question....... is it worth getting a trigger job verses trading on another handgun?

Questions, questions, questions......
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

I have the exact same gun and it was my first piece. I like it fine but once I started gaining proficiency with it I moved on to a Glock for reliability, better trigger, follow up shots, etc. The Sigma was difficult to carry for me as I am a smaller guy around 5'9" but I carried about it for about a year in a Cross Breed Supertuck inside waist band. It got the job done. If I had the money and could do it again I would have just gone straight with the Glock.
    They don't call him lucky Ned Pepper for nothing

i got a used one several years ago. i like the way the gun feels in my hand. i do not like the trigger. i am a glock man and the trigger on the sigma 40 is junk. heavy and gritty. i did a search on a trigger fix and found some good info. so i did the work and now the trigger is around 6 pounds. not bad. not as good as my glocks, but not bad. it is not hard to do a trigger job on the sigma and is well worth the time. the trigger job does not effect the safety/working of the gun, it just takes a heavy/gritty trigger better.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

here is how to fix the trigger so it will go from an 8 lb to a 4 lb trigger

accessbob likes this.

I've had a Sigma for years and yes the trigger is pretty stiff and it is not my most accurate gun. But it is more than enough to carry for self defense. These guns are easy as heck to breakdown and clean and mine has been very reliable. For the reliability part i love it.
    accessbob and Richard58 like this.

I've got a Sigma 40VE, I love it! I have 4 Glock pistols and love them too. Well, maybe not the G22 so much. But anyway, I can shoot the Sigma as well as any Glock that I own, better
    than at least one. The trigger does not suck, it was designed to be a great self defense trigger...IE, it won't go off by accident. Mine has just over 2200 rounds through it and not one
    failure...of any kind...ever!
    So! You say, the same can be said for the Glocks and XD's out there!! Exactly! The Sigma can hold it's own running with the big boys. That's my point, they are no different.
    All these guys are telling you that your son won't like it. How screwed up is that?
    I have an idea, don't tell your son "how bad" the trigger is and let him see if he can shoot it. If he is any kind of a shot at all, he will be fine. All of these internet commando's probably
    haven't put more than two to three shots through a Sigma...if that. Most comments are repeats of what they heard or read anyway, not actual experience, no matter how much they tell
    you that they have.
    There are many, MANY happy Sigma owners out there (check the S&W Sigma forums) that can actually shoot their guns. The guys that don't like them, just can't shoot them and their
    only way to deal with that fact is to bash the gun.
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member
    Thugs that comply, don't die!
    Thugs that comply, don't die!
    Repeat...

Get a gunsmith who knows the gun well if you're going to get a trigger job done. Not everybody works on them.
    MiamiDiver7 likes this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Thanks everyone. Great info here. I really appreciate everyone's input!

Thanks!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Get a gunsmith who knows the gun well if you're going to get a trigger job done. Not everybody works on them.
    Superhouse, as a retired lifelong volunteer, I love your signature.

I'm on my second Sigma 9mm. My nephew has my first one. Thousands of rounds through it with not one malfunction. I only have about 350 rounds through the second one. it too has been 100%. The trigger isn't the best but it's doable. I think they are a great value.
    1959 and Richard58 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links