Pocket Pistol

Pocket Pistol

This is a discussion on Pocket Pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to thank everyone for the warm welcome I got yesterday when I joined. I am thinking about getting a pocket pistol in 380. ...

Thread: Pocket Pistol

Senior Moderator

Question Pocket Pistol

I want to thank everyone for the warm welcome I got yesterday when I joined. I am thinking about getting a pocket pistol in 380. I already have a Taurus 605 .357 and a Makarov .380 that I use as my carry guns. I am wanting something I can carry in my pocket when I don't want to or cant carry a IWB with one of my 2 carry guns I have now. I'm leaning towards a Kel-Tec P3AT but want more opinions and options. Are the kel-Tecs as concealable as everyone says they are. How realiable are they?

I've had a P3AT for a couple of months now. With a good pocket holser no one will ever know you have it short of a detector or pat down. I never had to do anything other than clean it and it's worked fine.
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

If your Taurus 605 is hammerless use that as your pocket gun.
    Bob
    Its always a great day, if you don't believe me try missing one.
    NRA, TFA, IDPA, 3 Gun

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tnroadrunner View Post
    If your Taurus 605 is hammerless use that as your pocket gun.
    Sorry its exposed hammer, which I like, but now I'm seeing the merits of a DAO revolver. Haven't consider that as a pocket gun before.

I use a P-3AT for pocket carry. Hardly know it's there. If your looking for a small, relatively inexpensive 380 that's your choice.
    My 2nd generation has been reliable. I have about 300 rounds through it w/ out a problem.

Other options would be 2" snub such as 340PD (~$700) or 642 (~$400), but not as small as the Keltec. I also pocket carry a Kahr PM9 and Colt Cobra. I don't find having an exposed hammer on the Colt a problem/deterent for pocket carry. Good luck!

I'm thinking about getting one of those new S&W snubbies..the ones that shoot the .500...Is the recoil a little snappy on those?

Senior Moderator
    ppcpilot, S&W makes a snubbie in 454 that you can shoot 45LC out of. I find my tarurus 605 to be snappy with 357 125gr fedreal PD loads.

Here is the link to the Kel-Tec owners group: http://www.ktog.org/. You'll get all your questions answered.

I have two P3-At's that I am working thru the suggested break-in of 200 rounds. I like them a lot.

I can also recommend thye P3AT. Mine has been reliable from day one out of the box, about 6 months now. I pocket carry it as a BUG, or as primary when circumstances and dress dictate.
    Richard
    Glock 17
    Glock 26
    Glock 30
    Kel-Tek P-11
    Kel-Tek P3AT
    Cold Det Spec
    Uberty peacemaker repro
    Ruger MK I .22 auto

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    ppcpilot, S&W makes a snubbie in 454 that you can shoot 45LC out of. I find my tarurus 605 to be snappy with 357 125gr fedreal PD loads.

Nah, I was thinking about this one. That one is too small.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...07&isFirearm=Y

S&w 500ES

There are alot of good pocket guns out there. Kel-Tec, NAA Guardians, Seecamps, Colt Mustang and Pocketlight, Walther PPKs, Sig 232, and Bersa Thunder CC all make great 380s. There are also the Kahr MK and PM series in both 9mm and 40 S&W.

My experience is limited to the Kel-Tec P3AT (hated shooting it and it almost fell apart in my hands), Sig 232 (loved it and smooth as silk), and Kahr PM40 (owned this one, potent package for a pocket gun, good trigger and accurate, but sold it because I don't like polymer anymore). I am saving to buy a Rohrbaugh R9s, which is the Bently of pocket guns.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ppcpilot View Post
    Nah, I was thinking about this one. That one is too small.
    ppc pilot you might be a little crazy, but its my kind of crazy.

Thanks guys most everyone seems to have good things to say about Kel-Tec. I am going to the local gun store and see what they have and try a few of them in my pockets. I'll let ya'll know what i think about them.

I think the 460 would be better. Much faster velocity so it should significantly rip your arm off. :)
    Yep .460 in a 2 3/4 inch barrel. I wonder if you can get the factory installed Crimson Trace grips for that. It might serve as a deterent to the grizzly.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

Not Necessarily...

Quote Originally Posted by '75scout View Post
    ...I am saving to buy a Rohrbaugh R9s, which is the Bently of pocket guns.
    I am not sure or the thread, but within the last couple of weeks it was discussed that...R9'S have had their problems...search out the info!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

for what you are looking for then it is the kel tec p3at. it is my "bug" on the job and primary other times.

Links