+P Comparison: Shield, CM9, G19

This is a discussion on +P Comparison: Shield, CM9, G19 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was testing SD ammo in the newly acquired Shield last week. I use GD 124+P in the G19 and Fed HST 147 in the ...

I was testing SD ammo in the newly acquired Shield last week. I use GD 124+P in the G19 and Fed HST 147 in the CM9. Bought an extra 150 rounds of the GD 124+P hoping the Shield would like it and manage the recoil well. (Just to be clear not the GD SB)

Focused on accuracy at 7, 10, 15, 20 yds 1st and 2nd shot. While I was at it, I figured I'd shoot a few GDs through the CM9 in the hopes of standardizing on 1 for all. Obviously the G19 handles the +P just fine.

I have to say I was blown away (sorry, couldn't resist) by how well the Shield handled the +P round. Also tested side by side 2 shots at a time with Lawman 115gr.

Conversely, the CM9 was a beast - downright uncomfortable and inaccurate with the +P, so I will stay with the HST 147.

Bottom line is I am extremely impressed with how good the Shield feels with the +P round; as good as the G19, and much better than the CM9.

Just an observation - changes nothing of my high regard for the CM9.
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    -Douglas Adams

I've got a similar set of pistols: M&P9c, M&P Shield 9mm, Kahr CM9. And I have to agree with you on ammo choice. I've tried GD 124+P, HST 124+P, and HST 147+P... they all do well in the M&P9c and still manageable in the Shield but not so much in the CM9. I prefer regular JHP's in the CM9, hydrashok 135gr's actually.

Side note: when i was testing out JHP's in the shield I scared a few of the guys at the range. The guy in the next lane asked what I was shooting, said he jumped every time I fired a +P round out of the shield haha. Range employee asked if I was shooting +P+ rounds cause it was so loud. Anyways, love the shield so far.

I shot the same GD 124+Ps out of mine (originally purchased for my USP9) and while they had noticeably more recoil than my 124gr handloads and 115gr factory and handloads, it was definitely controllable and that's what I have loaded in it now.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    macg19 How about shooting the same ammo in all for a better comparison. The kahr is not inaccurate but the shooters can be. If your willing to use 124gr in the shield why not in the cm?? I have only shot a 124gr GD +P and find the load i use runs out the shot barrel at 1153fps average . Same ammo runs at 1200fps in a g17. It is accurate in both of those and in the cw9 i have. Also don't get why people compare the shield to lighter small pistols . Compare it to a glock 26 or cw9 or bersa db or nano.

My practice ammo runs from what ever is cheap wearing brass cases from 115gr to 124 gr . I really notice no big difference in recoil going to +p loads. Guess its more what some newer shooters seem to think. I don't feel much difference between a cm9 , cw9 and my glock 17 same like loads. Atleast not enought to matter to me. You do have to spend time with a pistol to get use to a trigger pull change like you going from a glock and sheild to a da type trigger in the kahr. That can cause more accuracy issues than any thing reguardless of ammo used. Just bang away for a couple mags before deside how good a pistol functions and how accurate it can be. I also don't use 147gr in a shot barrel. You loose to much velocity in a 3" barrel. Maybe add some thing to help with grip if you need to. It is small and lighter. I do use old inner tube pieces on the grip.

I do find when shooting several pistols I allways finish with my kahrs and find it allways takes a couple mags to get my timeing back in tune with the longer trigger pull of the kahr. No different when I pull out the glock. First mag is nothing to brag about.

hst 9mm 147gr -939 fps average for a cm9 is the best info I can find.
    147+P- 975

Georgia Arms GD 124gr + runs at an average 1153in my cm9, 1184 in the cw9.

I shot one of my SHields yesterday - have 1600 rounds thru it. With the rounds I have thru my 2nd Shield, I have almost 2000 rounds fired thru 2 Shields since buying the first one on April 30.

Great guns. I have discovered my preference for the smaller magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    macg19 How about shooting the same ammo in all for a better comparison. The kahr is not inaccurate but the shooters can be. If your willing to use 124gr in the shield why not in the cm?? I have only shot a 124gr GD +P and find the load i use runs out the shot barrel at 1153fps average . Same ammo runs at 1200fps in a g17. It is accurate in both of those and in the cw9 i have. Also don't get why people compare the shield to lighter small pistols . Compare it to a glock 26 or cw9 or bersa db or nano.
    I did shoot the GD 124+P in all 3, that was the point of the comparison. I was not comparing the Shield with CM9, but how the +P round felt in all 3.
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    -Douglas Adams

I like the 147 grain round in my 9's. I try to run a heavier bullet in my handguns.
    "If it bleeds...we can kill it." -Dutch, Predator

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    147gr just tend to be so much slower in the 3" barrels that hp's may or may not open well. Thats the down side. Atleast you still get penetration.

macg19 Put a couple layers of inner tube on that cm9 and see if it helps with control and accuracy. I use a 1/4" layer covered by a 3/4" piec and a full height piece cut to fit. Darn sure helps. Tried it the first time with a KT pf-9 4 or 5 years ago. hardly adds any width but does help it to stick to your hand.

thanks for the tip hardluk
    -Douglas Adams

I've had a lot of luck with the Speer Gold Dots and expansion. I run duty rounds (Federal HST 165 gr JHP) in my Glock 23C, but everything else, including the Wife's XD all get Gold Dots.
    "If it bleeds...we can kill it." -Dutch, Predator

Links