First gun

First gun

This is a discussion on First gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking to get my first gun. I'm waiting for my ccw to come before i purchase so as to avoid background check cost. That ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: First gun

First gun

I'm looking to get my first gun. I'm waiting for my ccw to come before i purchase so as to avoid background check cost. That gives me around 100 days i would estimate :). I want a gun that i can carry, although i suspect it will spend most of the time at home as i can't take it to work. I'm debating between the glock 19, the xd9 and the p250 (i'm looking for a 9 mm if that wasn't obvios yet). I'm a little worried that all of those guns will be a little large for easy carry. I have shot only the glock thus far, i'll probably test out the p250 this weekend and i still need to get my hands on the xd 9. I have a friend selling his glock 19, another selling his new p250 compact 9 mm (for $400). Price is important, i'm hoping to keep everything under 600, and that would include a bedside safe if i can. I'm looking for opinions and things that i should know about these (or other) guns. One thing that worries me about the sig is expensive clips or holsters but i really don't know how it compares yet.

A large frame gun can be easily concealed depending on how you dress and the holster and belt you use. If that is the only reason holding you back from a larger gun then dont worry. Youll find out in time though.

Welcome to the forum.

Edit: As far as price is concerned, I understand the budget. Honestly you might be cutting it close once all is said and done. When you carry you will have to dress around the gun to conceal, so depending on your current wardrobe you may also need new clothes.
    Last edited by Ionracas; August 9th, 2012 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Added info
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Get the Glock 26 and be done with it. Most versatile glock for CCW in the world as far as Im concerned.
    Brass63 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

Glock will fill the bill. I prefer the 19 though but that is simply my preference. I have never had the opprotunity to hold or shoot the others just never interested me they may be fine guns though.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Hi new guy. You are in fine company here.

You can easily hide a G19. It was built for that, far as I am concerned. If you want a smaller one, live it up. While I am a die hard SIG fan, I will say that a G19 is about impossible to beat. But it is your choice.

Do you already have extensive experience shooting? if not, you might consider getting a .22 caliber range gun to practice and learn with. You wouldn't necessarily carry this gun for your CCW, but it could be an important tool to help you learn safety and proper handling. Going straight to a higher caliber weapon such as a 9 mm can cause you to develop bad shooting habits such as flinching.

Buying and using your first CCW is so much more than just getting a gun and carrying it. You need to plan to spend quite a bit of time at the range learning to shoot and handle the weapon. using a .22 makes that much cheaper.

imo, your three possible choices are all excellent. i recommend you try to shoot each of them as much as you can before making a final decision. if you are new to handgun shooting, your conclusions about how a gun "feels" in your hands (just holding it - not firing it) are not as well founded as someone who has fired a wide variety of guns over a few years. my first gun was an excellent gun, chosen after a great deal of research and no shooting. turned out i just didn't like firing it, so i finally got something else.

as for concealing it: i'm 5'7", 150 pounds, and have no trouble concealing a medium to full size handgun. but as Ionracas mentioned, you might have to add certain garments. i have found thrift stores to be a great source of low priced cover garments.

and a good belt (The Wilderness makes an excellent belt at under $50), and a good holster - i recommend Uncle Mike's or Blade Tech's low price polymer ones for a start.

best of luck - and let us know what you finally end up with and how it all works out.

I have a G 19 and enjoy it. It does conceal easily. However, as Glockman indicated, the G 26 is a fantastic gun and concealing is a breeze.

Let us know what you decide.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Do you already have extensive experience shooting? if not, you might consider getting a .22 caliber range gun to practice and learn with. You wouldn't necessarily carry this gun for your CCW, but it could be an important tool to help you learn safety and proper handling. Going straight to a higher caliber weapon such as a 9 mm can cause you to develop bad shooting habits such as flinching.

Buying and using your first CCW is so much more than just getting a gun and carrying it. You need to plan to spend quite a bit of time at the range learning to shoot and handle the weapon. using a .22 makes that much cheaper.
    +1

Very good advice IMO.

The NRA (you need to be a member) has excellent basic pistol safety/shooting courses.

It only costs $35.00 to join, the price of a box of ammo.
    joker1 likes this.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

GH
    Welcome from Wisconsin!

Good luck on your final gun choice. Most any can be concealed with care & wardrobe.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

I was in your same position not even a year ago. I went with the Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm Compact. It fit my hand much better than the glock and the interchangeable grips was a huge bonus for me.

I found it to be a little harder to carry in the summer so I have bought a Ruger LCP as well which I also love. The M&P is a exceptional weapon and accurate beyond my best expectations. Part of my issue with carrying it is that I do not yet have a good gun belt. Which plan on getting this weekend. I feel that if I had that from the beginning and a better holster "Cross Breed Super Tuck" I wouldn't have bought the Ruger.

Dont over look the M&P!! At least hold one, there is no comparison if you ask me compared to the Glock. The M&P is leap years beyond in shooting comfort in my opinion.

Start saving your money now.....with any luck you will likely be hooked to pistols as I am! I am currently trying to figure out which Kimber I want for my next CC weapon. Kimber haters you may remain silent.... dont need to hear it!

Good luck to you and be sure to spend ample time shooting everything you are considering.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Second Amendment rights in action. I have a couple of suggestions, first if you have a range close by your place go and shoot as many of the rental guns as you can to get comfortable with them. Also, learn if you are going to be carrying condition 1, which gun are best for that. Of all the ones you mentioned, keeping in mind that I do not like the Palmer guns, the XD-9 would be my first choice for you. It has the grip safety and is an excellent shooter. If money were no object I would highly suggest you get a Springfield EMP in 9 mm and carry condition one. Most important thing is educate yourself, do not take any of our opinions for much more than they are worth. Understand that when you are carrying a gun, life is completely different. You have to live in a heightened State of awareness, and you have a brand-new huge responsibility. Good luck to you.

Welcome to the forum and the world of concealed carry! I'll toss in another vote for the Glock 19 as well...all-around great choice for a first gun, and great for CCW.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum ~ Μολών Λaβέ
    HK45c, Kimber Pro CDP II, Gen3 G19, Gen4 G19, Colt LE6920, Benelli SuperNova
    "In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

I've been carrying a GLOCK 19 in a CBST (Crossbreed Supertuck) for almost 3 years now-love it. Gun is so reliable I bought snap caps so I could practice malfunction drills. Full size grip is nice (although adding a +0 pinky extension to a GLOCK 26 will make that grip the right size), 15+1 capacity with the ability to carry and use larger magazines. Simple, affordable, durable, reliable, you can just about dig around in the alley and find parts for them. Not knocking your other choices as I have no expierience with them, but I know the GLOCK 19 is all that and a bag of chips.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Welcome and I also vote G19 with a something like a Remora holster.
    Live for today because no one promised you tomorrow!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links