Review - EDC'ing a Five seven

This is a discussion on Review - EDC'ing a Five seven within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just recently got a Old Faithful Holster for my five seven. I wanted to give it a try and see how it carries as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review - EDC'ing a Five seven

Review - EDC'ing a Five seven

I just recently got a Old Faithful Holster for my five seven. I wanted to give it a try and see how it carries as a EDC because it's so light.

I'm on day 4 now, and I wanted to mention a few things for people that maybe 'thought' of carrying it, but thought it was too big.

I've been wearing it with jeans, and the 1st day I had it on, the heavy checkering really dug into my skin (Wearing it at 8 o'clock) and it hurt. I was looking at hogue handall grips. the next day I guess the leather/holster settled in, and now it's not digging in anymore.

the pistol is SO light that I don't even feel it pulling down my pants like a heavier pistol might.

size wise, it feels like carrying a full size 1911, or most other full size pistols. My holster has built in cant, so with that, the grip stays at an angle that doesn't let it stick out. the barrel doesn't really get in the way because it's so long when you sit down either.

and another important thing is the shape/size/weight of extra mags.

they are made of plastic, and the bullets are SO light that you can have a magazine in your pocket, and you won't even feel it. also because they are very flat, it doesn't stick out from the pockets, or dig in to your thigh. I carried 2 to test the weight, and it was nothing. they settled in my pocket next to each other and I swear it was like nothing was in there. I also felt very good with 60 rounds of SS198LF in my pocket.

Well, I hope you guys enjoyed my little review carrying the FN's Five Seven!

2. Remove Ads

Excellent review !!! Thank you for sharing. God Bless :smile

Thanks for the review. I'm considering carrying my 5.7 in cooler weather for the same reasons you listed.

Which OF Holster did you get?

Pics Man, PICS....Let see it with its new skin......
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    Thanks

I am set up for carry but I have not yet. I got a Cleveland ugly holster. IWB
    i was going to wait until weather got cooler. I like the light weight and the capacity as well as the balistics.

I carry my 5.7 pistol every day in a Crossbreed Supertuck holster. It's so light that I can even wear it with shorts tightened only with a drawstring. Try to do that with your Glock while keeping your pants in the upright position. The 5.7 pistol weighs as much fully loaded as a Glock 17 empty. In fact, the 5.7 pistol with a 1.5 inch mag extension allows it to carry 30 rounds and still be 15% lighter than a G17 fully loaded.

30 rounds vs 17 rounds and still lighter?

Those tiny bullets are light weight, its nice you can carry so many of them, and at 5.7mm it only takes two to match the diameter of my .45acp(11.5mm) in my Glock 30.
    Just messing with ya!
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Those tiny bullets are light weight, its nice you can carry so many of them, and at 5.7mm it only takes two to match the diameter of my .45acp(11.5mm) in my Glock 30.
    Just messing with ya!
    yup, so when you try to shoot at something with 10 rounds, I got 10 more going that way! :D

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Thanks

I am set up for carry but I have not yet. I got a Cleveland ugly holster. IWB
    i was going to wait until weather got cooler. I like the light weight and the capacity as well as the balistics.
    It's summer time here, so very hot. as long as you got a shirt that can cover the grip like most carry friendly shirts, it's no issue

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Pics Man, PICS....Let see it with its new skin......
    I will! I actually wanted to do this, but I posted from my office, and didn't want to start taking pictures of myself in the bathroom LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Sontag View Post
    Thanks for the review. I'm considering carrying my 5.7 in cooler weather for the same reasons you listed.

Which OF Holster did you get?
    I got the stage 3, it was very easy to put together. took me like 20 mins

I use a Remora and a Cross Breed Supertuck delux.

I have a 20 round mag so I only carry what is in the gun 20 rounds.

My Model 30 Glock will pull down on my belt (yes I have great quality gun belt) but the 5.7 does not the grip is aggressive so if the cant is not right it will dig in. But the gun does conceal very well for a full size handgun.

Good review.

Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    yup, so when you try to shoot at something with 10 rounds, I got 10 more going that way! :D

Yeah, I know.
    --Jason--

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Just messing with ya!
    You forgot it takes two more bank accounts to shoot it as well!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I've taken to wearing a "tank top" as an undershirt even when i have a t shirt on it helps a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Hopefully within 6 months to a year, it won't be more than shooting a .45! (18-19 dollars a box with AE ammo)

Quote Originally Posted by Once View Post
    I've taken to wearing a "tank top" as an undershirt even when i have a t shirt on it helps a lot.
    meh, just don't like that stuff.

American Eagle Ammo FMJ is about $16.30 per box dealer cost. I have 1000 rounds on order.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    True.

I suppose if I need to carry thirty rounds I'll just buy a Kel-Tec PMR-30. Then use my G30 as back-up. Best of both worlds -- thirty little 5.7mm rounds, backed up by ten 11.5mm(.45acp) rounds.
    If they made the PMR-30 in .17 HMR? Now we're talking.

I have a feeling if I shot a FN 5.7 I'd be hooked. It would have come in handy yesterday at the IDPA match. One stage had us engaging four targets behind a small pick-up, while seated in the pick-up. Took some twisting, and I hit my targets, but shooting with one hand didn't help my grouping.

UPDATE:
    I think it would be easier to buy a FN 5.7 then a Kel-Tec PMR-30, I was just shopping around alittle and the Kel-Tec's seem to be on back order every where.
    Last edited by Blades; August 12th, 2012 at 02:40 PM.
    --Jason--

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links