switching up the hardware

This is a discussion on switching up the hardware within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all - I've got a bit of a dilemma. Currently, I've got a 2" sp101 and a 4" rossi 357 that I use for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: switching up the hardware

Hey all - I've got a bit of a dilemma. Currently, I've got a 2" sp101 and a 4" rossi 357 that I use for HD and carry. But, I've found that the 2" sp101 is a little big for pocket carry and I think I would like something smaller like a 642 in the few instances that I would do that, and I never carry the rossi because it's pretty large. So, I'm considering trading in the pair for a 3" sp101 and a 642, both of which I would be able to carry (the 4" rossi is just too big).

So, what do you all think? Could you live without a service sized gun in your collection for HD? (I don't keep and long guns for HD). I can't shake the feeling that I'm going to end up buying a 4" revolver again, which may not be a bad thing as I might step up to a gp100 or 686+. :)

A 3" revolver is service size and good enough for HD. The FBI carried them for years. I have an ex-law enforcement holster for my 3" K-Frame.

That extra inch isn't going to hurt you a whole lot.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

I've got a 3" Rossi (5 shot) that I've carried as a trail gun at times. The 3" barrel in a revolver is ideal in my book, but it can be tough finding holsters. Years ago I used to stick a Ruger 6 shot with a 4" barrel in my belt, but that was too much for anything but the woods.

If you're trying to broaden the roles your guns play, I'd go for the 642 but bypass the SP101 in favor of a K- or L-frame that holds 6 or more rounds. I know the SP101 is a great gun, but it's heavy for a 5-shooter.
    sgb, atctimmy, ArmyMan and 1 others like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Moderator
    I like a 3" revolver but I would go with a GP-100 or a S&W 13-3/65-3 etc... with a 3" barrel over a SP101, and get a J-frame size revolver (S&W or Taurus)
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Airweight J frame and magnum K frame

For revolver carry I like to choose between and airweight J frame .38 snubby (15 ounces empty) for maximum concealment in a pocket, or a steel K frame .357 magnum snubby for belt carry (32 ounces empty). These two cover the spectrum of revolver carry for me, and I can pick one, the other or both depending on the situation. I use a model 642 for the airweight and a model 66 or 19 for the larger magnum gun.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Sounds like you would be well armed with the SP & the S&W snubby.

Might try this, go to your range & rent a Glock 17 or 19. Yeah I know I did'ent wanna like 'em either, but they cost about the same as SP101 & hold three times as much ammo.

I also own a SP101 3" & love it! But is a very "mission specific" handgun. That is its primary role is as a trail gun & it backs me up while hunting.
    I find it too bulky for my preferred IWB carry & the 5 shot capacity dosent work for me as a priamry home defence gun. But one could do a lot worse.

Anyone who even tries to pocket carry a SP101 has a strong back & TOUGH pockets! Think about a S&W Model 12. 6 shot K frame lightweight snubbie. They're not easy to find but very, uh...convenient. I love mine.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Think about a S&W Model 12. 6 shot K frame lightweight snubbie. They're not easy to find but very, uh...convenient. I love mine.
    The 12's are very nice! This one only weighed 19 ounces but felt lighter than that, Wish I still had it. You win some, you lose some.

sw12-2.jpg

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Personally, I would keep the SP101 you already have, since you will lose a lot of money selling and replacing it with a 3 inch model. Sell the Rossi and consider getting a laser sight like Crimson Trace for the SP101. It's more than adequate for nightstand duty. That is my set up with the SP101. The 642 is a great pocket gun, and mine goes everywhere I go. I believe the total cost would be less with the combination I recommend.
    Philly Boy likes this.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I carry a Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel, excellent gun and comfortable, use to carry my Glock 19 until I got the SP101
    sp101-rs.jpg
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

i think your new choices are excellent ones. i'm assuming since you said the 2" SP-101 was too big/heavy for pocket carry, that the 3" would be holster-carried. i have a 642 which is often pocket carried, and a steel 2.5" 'K' frame and a 3" 'N' frame. all see concealed carry duty at times.

Not much to add to the thread but it is almost impossible to pocket carry any SP101. I occassionaly carry my 3" owb which is fine but I will not be trying to pocket carry my 2" any time soon.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rdpG19 View Post
    I carry a Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel, excellent gun and comfortable, use to carry my Glock 19 until I got the SP101
    sp101-rs.jpg
    What make of holster is that? Don Hume?

Keep your 2" Sp101, and maybe save up and add a LCR for pocket duty/BUG use. Carrying both would leave you able to deal with most anything reasonably anticipated.

I'd keep the 4" revolver for home defense and "out in the woods" use.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links