For Shield lovers: If you couldn't have a 9MM Shield.....

This is a discussion on For Shield lovers: If you couldn't have a 9MM Shield..... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Walther PPS or Keltec PF9. Maybe even a Nano...but they are a bit thicker. Like others have said, if you can't wait locally - look ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: For Shield lovers: If you couldn't have a 9MM Shield.....

Walther PPS or Keltec PF9. Maybe even a Nano...but they are a bit thicker. Like others have said, if you can't wait locally - look online. It may take some research but they are out there. It is easier to find a .40 right now...but 9mm are out there. I am in Illinois and found 2 stores with them last weekend (1 gun at each store).
    If you DO find one locally - be carefully about the mark up! Don't pay $500 for this gun...or $600-$700-$800! That is what is going on with the Keltec PMR, the Shield and a couple others. Wait until you can get them at normal price $430-$450 from a reputable dealer.

Good luck - very good suggestions from others...I personally own a KT PF9, Kahr CM9, and G19 for my carries.
    Pistoldoc likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I'll throw in of you're not opposed to ordering from out of the area, last I knew Shoot Straight in Lakeland, FL had the Shield and will ship to a FFL. The drawback is you pay a bit more for shipping and dealer fees.

I had the LC9 until a few months ago, I'm close to your size. I LOVED how concealable it was but didn't enjoy shooting it so after a year let it go. I almost wish I'd hung on to it so I'd have a different carry option since now dressing around the gun is much more of a challenge.

Another thought - Springfield XDS? I haven't held one yet but isn't it in the same size range as some of the others you mentioned? I have the XD SC now and LOVE it (except concealability) and hope to one day when I have some extra money laying around hope to get the XDS
    Pistoldoc likes this.

If I had to take my Shield out of the equation I would go back to my M&P9c. Actually, when the cold weather hits, that's exactly what I'll do. More rounds in the magazine and a larger grip that is easier to find under heavier clothes. Love 'em both.
    Pistoldoc and 1959 like this.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    +1 on the Walther PPS. It's about the same size and weight as the Shield, has the same kind of feel, and it is extremely accurate. To me it's a toss up between the two; slight edge to PPS, but the mag release does take some getting used to (it's part of the trigger guard).
    Pistoldoc likes this.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    The Walther PPS is the most similar in terms of caliber, capacity, size, trigger feel, and recoil characteristics. But the magazine release is the European latch-style on the trigger guard instead of the American button behind the trigger. The Kahr P9 and CW9 are similar in capacity and caliber... I think they recoil a tad more. The trigger on the Kahrs is smoother, but longer, and the reset is worse, but overall I'd call the trigger a wash. Both are good, just... different.

You could probably find a Shield on gunbroker or one of the online dealers fairly easily.

Hate to tell someone who can't find one this, but my Shield is hands down my favorite carry gun ever, and I've been through six or seven.
    Pistoldoc likes this.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Have you considered a Concealed / Shrouded hammer j-frame revolver? There are many to choose from. I often carry a 649 (.357Mag / .38SPcl). My wife loves her 442 in .38 Spcl. The Bodyguard S&W .38Spcl and Ruger LCR .38Spcl are also great 5 shot revolvers. I dont have one of these, but have held both and they are very light, with built in laser too. They all conceal quite well and are very reliable and very easy to clean and maintain. The other thing is....you pull the trigger and they go bang. Everytime.
    Pistoldoc, arizona and 10thmtn like this.

Give the G19 a try before you decide something else is an absolute requirement. A kahr is a good option I own a pf9 and while it is tiny and light, recoil is formidable. Nice to see more ladies joining the forum... Welcome all.
    Pistoldoc likes this.

Distinguished Member
    It's a little thicker than the Shield, obviously, but I'd go Glock 27. I just had a chance to fire one today at the range and was dead accurate. The only thing I can say that is wrong about it is that the trigger guard is set a little too close to the trigger (under it) so when firing, it rubs my finger which starts to get irritating if firing a lot. But other than that, I'm thinking about adding one of those to my "arsenal" sometime.
    Pistoldoc likes this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Always get the gun you want, don't substitute.

Posted using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Always get the gun you want, don't substitute.

Posted using Tapatalk 2
    I still intend to get the Shield. I just need something in the mean time. Otherwise, I'll be carrying nothing, which is worse. :(

Thanks for all of the replies. I'll look into some of the other suggestions and see if I can test them out. :)

I went and fondled both the shield and walther pps after work today. I like the pps better, no safety and I like the trigger better. Im in a similar position as you, my g23 doesnt conceal that great until I lose a few lbs then my xl shirts will work great. So I just want to get something for now.
    Pistoldoc likes this.

I have two shields, so... One shield less, and I still choose the Shield :):)
    Pistoldoc likes this.

I have a Walther PPS and a Kahr CM9. I like them both. The Kahr can be carried in a front pocket where the Walther is too large. The Walther has a rail for a light and has an optional 8 round mag and that set up is what is on my nightstand each night. I carry the Kahr more than the Walther.
    Pistoldoc likes this.

i have the beretta nano.. great trigger.. no issues with mine

I have the Shield 9mm, my dad has the Walther PPS 9mm. They're extremely close in size/weight/capacity. The Shield has less complicated internals, a more melted exterior (plus no stupid accessory rail), a better trigger, and a better warranty. That said, the PPS is still a nice gun. I much prefer the Shield, but if there were no such thing, I would have bought the PPS.
    Pistoldoc likes this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links