For Shield lovers: If you couldn't have a 9MM Shield.....

This is a discussion on For Shield lovers: If you couldn't have a 9MM Shield..... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Pistoldoc I still intend to get the Shield. I just need something in the mean time. Otherwise, I'll be carrying nothing, which ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: For Shield lovers: If you couldn't have a 9MM Shield.....

Quote Originally Posted by Pistoldoc View Post
    I still intend to get the Shield. I just need something in the mean time. Otherwise, I'll be carrying nothing, which is worse. :(

Thanks for all of the replies. I'll look into some of the other suggestions and see if I can test them out. :)

You might consider getting a carry gun that is not similar in size to the shield that can be used as an alternative (for flexability) after you get your Shield.
    Maybe a small pocket gun like the LCP. Having PM9 and LCP works well for me.
    Pistoldoc likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Ill echo what others have said about the PPS, great gun but I dislike the mag release. It is ambi-dexterous, but if you are left handed that might work for you.

Unless you have your heart set on a Shield, the Nano might be a option?

I recently bought a XDs (45), which I like a lot. I had my wife try it out, she liked it and had no issues with the tiny bit of added recoil, and she's not a hard core shooter.
    Pistoldoc likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Recently shot the Shield 9 & 40 at Shoot Straight gun range. Liked them both. They have them in stock.
    Pistoldoc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by major4608 View Post
    Recently shot the Shield 9 & 40 at Shoot Straight gun range. Liked them both. They have them in stock.
    Which location?

One of the stores local to me said that they are expecting a shipment in the next 1-2 weeks. They're supposed to notify me, but you never know if that'll really happen so it would be nice to have another option.

Thanks.
    "The Second Amendment isn't about protecting ourselves against criminals. It's about all of us protecting ourselves from all of you." ---Dr. Suzanne Gratia Hupp to Congressman Charles Schumer (D-NY), 1994**

OP - What is the issue with concealing your G19? Is it the thickness? Or is it the length of the grip?

If the latter, you can get a Glock G26, which is arguably the best CCW pistol out there, period. IIRC, about the same weight as the Shield, but holds 10+1...and will take the G19's 15-rd mags or the G17's 17-rd mags as a reload. Another option is getting your G19's grip shortened to take the G26's magazines - but that will take a bit of time to have done.

Note that some of the thinner 9mm's out there have grips that are as long (or longer) than your G19 - and the grip is what prints. Don't be too quickly seduced by "thinness."

If you want a lighter weight option, I would strongly suggest you look into a revolver. I have a Ruger LCR .38 Spl that I pocket carry daily, and after having gone 'round and 'round on the "pocket 9" merry-go-round, I could not be happier.

If you tell us how you intend to carry, you may get some more specific advice as well.

Good luck, and stay safe!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by major4608 View Post
    Did they have them available for rent or did you meet someone there who owns them? I'm curious too which location...

The Lakeland Shoot Straight has had the Shield in stock every time I've gone. I was real close to buying one when I was gun shopping last month, but after my disappointment with the LC9 I just couldn't bring myself to buy something I couldn't try first. Last night I went there for the range and they had the Shield advertised at $449 if I remember correctly.

Pistoldoc...PM sent...
    Pistoldoc likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

It's the thickness. It feels uncomfortable to wear IWB, which is how I intend to carry most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    OP - What is the issue with concealing your G19? Is it the thickness? Or is it the length of the grip?

If the latter, you can get a Glock G26, which is arguably the best CCW pistol out there, period. IIRC, about the same weight as the Shield, but holds 10+1...and will take the G19's 15-rd mags or the G17's 17-rd mags as a reload. Another option is getting your G19's grip shortened to take the G26's magazines - but that will take a bit of time to have done.

Note that some of the thinner 9mm's out there have grips that are as long (or longer) than your G19 - and the grip is what prints. Don't be too quickly seduced by "thinness."

If you want a lighter weight option, I would strongly suggest you look into a revolver. I have a Ruger LCR .38 Spl that I pocket carry daily, and after having gone 'round and 'round on the "pocket 9" merry-go-round, I could not be happier.

If you tell us how you intend to carry, you may get some more specific advice as well.

Good luck, and stay safe!
    "The Second Amendment isn't about protecting ourselves against criminals. It's about all of us protecting ourselves from all of you." ---Dr. Suzanne Gratia Hupp to Congressman Charles Schumer (D-NY), 1994**

The Casselberry and Apopka Shoot Straight both had shields in stock last weekend.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    Pistoldoc likes this.

If I didn't have my M&P Shield, I would continue to carry my Kahr CM9.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    gun show in wichita falls today actually had a shield said they have been out for about two weeks and was surprised he hadn't sold it yet...price was 619...I would carry a sig p938 shoot one last week and was surprised at how snappy it felt (I mostly carry a g23 or sig p238) had a bersa and sold it didn't like the sights (go shoot a bounce of different guns find out what you like)....usually indoor ranges will have several options to shoot for a minimal colst rangemaster in texas is 16 to rent a gun 5 for each additional gun
    Pistoldoc likes this.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by Pistoldoc View Post
    It's the thickness. It feels uncomfortable to wear IWB, which is how I intend to carry most of the time.
    Gotcha. Have you actually tried a single stack IWB to see if it is much more comfortable? Or are you just assuming it will be?

I ask because I don't find IWB carry comfortable at all, no matter where I carry around the waist, or the thickness of the gun. Pocket carry works better for me, though I understand women's pockets are just too small in most cases.

In other words, try it before you plunk down the money for a single stack pistol, if you have not already done so.

None of the single stack 9mms out there really interest me. My luck with Kahr has been bad. The PPS has that funky mag release. The LC9 and Bersa BP9cc have mag disconnect safeties. The Shield has a thumb safety. The only one other than the Kahrs that has no thumb safety or mag disconnect safety is the Kel tec PF9, and their quality is somewhat spotty. Taurus has the 709, but again, their reputation is spotty - and it has a thumb safety IIRC.

Not sure what features you want, but if you want a "single stack Glock 19" (no thumb safety or mag disconnect, US-style mag release, DAO trigger) your choices are somewhat limited.

BTW - have you considered a revolver? They are thicker around the cylinder, but thinner everywhere else. Also lighter in weight, and more rounded, which can be more comfortable to carry IWB. Just a thought...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

If you like the Shield, wait for it. Half the fun of getting a new carry is shopping for it. Keep checking Gunbroker and watch for it at other online stores and LGS. You will be surprised at how quickly you will find one at a reasonable price. 3 weeks ago I walked in a small mom and pop LGS and asked if they had one-half jokingly. The guy said sure-just came in this morning, $429. I had to take a closer look. It is a nice gun. If you get something else to "tide you over" until you find one you want, you won't be happy with it anyway and then you will have added costs for the trade transactions and depreciation. Not a Shield owner, but just my $.02.
    Pistoldoc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray95 View Post
    If I didn't have my M&P Shield, I would continue to carry my Kahr CM9.
    Same here!
    Pistoldoc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tcfiero View Post
    The Casselberry and Apopka Shoot Straight both had shields in stock last weekend.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    wouldn't do business with Shoot Straight if they were giving guns away. "Come take your concealed weapons class from us, and buy all your guns here.....but the next time you come, make sure you leave your gun in the car." What a joke.
    Pistoldoc likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links