For Shield lovers: If you couldn't have a 9MM Shield.....

This is a discussion on For Shield lovers: If you couldn't have a 9MM Shield..... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 2slow04 good deal.. if you dont mind, where did you find and how much? i have been looking for like 4 weeks ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: For Shield lovers: If you couldn't have a 9MM Shield.....

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow04 View Post
    good deal.. if you dont mind, where did you find and how much? i have been looking for like 4 weeks now
    Check your PM.

"The Second Amendment isn't about protecting ourselves against criminals. It's about all of us protecting ourselves from all of you." ---Dr. Suzanne Gratia Hupp to Congressman Charles Schumer (D-NY), 1994**

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Pistoldoc View Post
    Hi everyone.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I actually came across some good pistols from this thread.
    Anyhow, I just came home with my new Shield. I already love how it feels in my hand. I can't wait to take it to the range!

Thanks again!
    I hope you love your shield! I was looking at this very close also but went with CM9 in that it is very easy to conceal in pocket of cargo shorts. I could not be happier and like mentioned before the slide is very difficult on the Kahr my college daughter has trouble racking it so I think you made a good choice with the shield.

My next gun will either be a Glock 19 or Shield what does everyone think?

Quote Originally Posted by burttrans View Post
    My next gun will either be a Glock 19 or Shield what does everyone think?

I have a CM-9 that i'm very happy with. had to sell my Glock 19 because i needed the money.

if you're going to carry this next gun, how do you want to do so? if IWB, then i recommend the Shield. if OWB, then the 19.

at some point i hope to have one of each - a CM-9, a Shield, and a Gen 4 19.

From the "don't tell me, show me" files, Caracal is supposedly releasing their 13+1 "Glock-like" subcompact this fall. Specs are supposedly 4.4" high, 0.92" wide, 22.9 ounces.

And how long?
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    And how long?

6.29" like the G26. Specs are metric on their international site, (don't know if US version will be different or not): Caracal International LLC - Caracal SC

Here is the US site: http://www.caracal-usa.com/

Again, "don't tell me, show me".

I hoped it would be smaller. Still interested though.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Marriott and Hilton hotels
    I'm on 3 lists for the Shield. I did find a Walther PPS yesterday for $549 and the dealer wouldn't budge on price. I like the PPS but want the Shield.

I have a Glock 19 that wasn't concealing well in the texas heat. I was able to find a Shield a few months ago, but I was looking at the 9mm Walther PPS (essentially a German M&P Shield). Check out this video:

M&P SHIELD VS WALTHER PPS: BATTLE OF THE ULTRA SLIM 9MMs - YouTube

I have found that I prefer to have the Glock with me though. It has twice the firepower the Shield has, and it behaves better when shooting quickly. Go for a PPS or wait for a Shield if you need a gun that can be hidden completely.
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

My Kahr CM9 generally will be my carry gun but a few years back I had to sell 4-5 firearms after my company downsized. I am still down 2 handguns and never owned a Glock. Tuesday I will be either bringing home a Glock 19 Gen 4 in black or putting in an order with my dealer for the same gun in Flat Dark Earth. It all depends on the price difference.

I have two CW9s and for me they are the epitome of a warm weather EDC piece. Hearing all this buzz about the Shield does intrigue me but the one concern I have about it is the safety.
    Zepoll likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pukindog12 View Post
    I have two CW9s and for me they are the epitome of a warm weather EDC piece. Hearing all this buzz about the Shield does intrigue me but the one concern I have about it is the safety.
    What about the safety concerns you?
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

I own a shield and I carry it daily.

I want a G19 (to add, not to replace) and it will be my next purchase.

I have also owned (and sold) a Kahr CW9 and I regret it almost daily. I will buy a CW9 again (probably before the G19) and I have put together a series of "tests" to shoot both the Shield and the CW9 and see which comes up the better performer.

Personally I feel the CW9 is about as close to the perfect CCW as can be. The only real issue is the trigger. Some would say that the trigger is positive and not a negative. For me.. I can't say for sure. Which is why I want to put it through a shooting test side by side with my Shield.

But in every other category, the CW9 wins the competition.

It's thinner than the shield.
    It's lighter than the shield
    It has the same capacity as the shield using the shorter mag, which is what most people would carry (I assume).
    It has a longer barrel than the shield but it has a shorter overall length than the shield. Longer barrel means more velocity.
    You can get a full three fingers on the Kahr. I can't get all three fingers on the Shield (using the 7 round mag).
    The CW9 is also about $100 cheaper than the Shield
    And.... they're available to purchase today.

Everyone seems to always talk about the CM/PM series of the Kahr and I don't know why the CW9 doesn't get more props.

To me... it's the perfect concealed carry weapon. So long as the trigger doesn't bother you.

If you don't know.. the Kahr trigger is a longer butter smooth pull. Longer than most people are used too. It has no reset, so you have to do a full release and a full trigger pull for each round. but again, it's butter smooth. Just long.

I also would prefer it if Kahr offered the CW9 in all black, but that's just a personal preference..
    ...because you never know when the king of England might come looking for back taxes.

- Richard L. Johnson

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I could have a shield just tend not to trade sideways . The shield is just the lastest flash in the pan that does nothing better than some others that have been around a while. What I have now is the cw9. The sheild weights more by an 1oz+ loaded or empty, the trigger pull is heavier by between a 1/2lb to a 1lb as the kahrs tend to be right at 6lb pull. The cw9 measures 6.11 OAL but give it to the sheild in height with my cw being taller at 4.769" with mag. My slide measures .902, grip .925 at the mag release area and .921 at the bottom of the grip. I will dicount the slide release like s&w does. Even accuracy between them , a , or most small pistols depends more on the shooters skill level and time with the trigger than just bang'n away a few round an say'n how great or bad something is. Now I know there a bunch of guys that think the shield is the greatest thang to smaller handguns ever but reality is it just another choice. Nothing special.

Some guys that shoot never had time behind anything but some stricker fired pistol and thats all they know.

Buy what fits your hand best and forget the label on it if its a glock 26 or a xd mini or a pf-9 that runs well thats going to make it the best.

I don't think the Shield is just the "latest flash in the pan." The trigger is enough to make it a different choice from any Kahr. Some people shoot better with a trigger ike the Shields, some people like the longer Kahr trigger. I know I prefer the Shield trigger much more than the Kahr trigger.

I don't know what some people have against choices and options - in the end they benefit the consumer.

But to answer the op's original question, if I couldn't have the Shield I would have walked out of the gun store that day with a glock 26 gen 4 (lefty) as was my original plan and had to live with the thicker width. Thankfully I was able to snatch up a Shield instead.
    Keep Calm and Carry One.
    Theis Holster - Joab Mag Pouch
    M&P9 Shield
    FNX-9

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links