For Shield lovers: If you couldn't have a 9MM Shield..... - Page 6

For Shield lovers: If you couldn't have a 9MM Shield.....

This is a discussion on For Shield lovers: If you couldn't have a 9MM Shield..... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well the glock surely has a better trigger, just a little thick brick. I have shoot a few m&ps but only dry fired a shield. ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: For Shield lovers: If you couldn't have a 9MM Shield.....

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Well the glock surely has a better trigger, just a little thick brick. I have shoot a few m&ps but only dry fired a shield. I just don't get it but your right it is different. Just not good, but enough for anyone to make a change to unless they allready own m&ps. Atleast to me. but I never have been much for changeing for the sake of change.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I don't yet know if I like the Shield or not, but the Walther PPS has my attention, based upon what I have learned from guys I know and trust. My need for a compact single-column-mag pistol is not urgent, and I will have more pressing financial issues until late next summer, anyway, so I plan to let others be the beta testers for the Shield, before deciding upon anything.

If my chief signs-off on a proposal to allow 9mm as an alternative duty pistol cartridge, in addition to the present .40 S&W, I will start carrying a G17 at work, and will, in that case, almost certainly purchase a Glock G26. That would probably stop my consideration of a PPS or a Shield.

FWIW, I presently use Ruger SP101 revolvers in the compact pistol role. (Yes, revolvers are pistols.) This is another reason I am in no hurry to buy a compact nine, and yes, the SP101 could be a possible answer to the OP's question.

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    If I was shopping to get a revolver or was asked for a suggestion on what to consider getting it would be a Ruger in whatever size fit the need.

If I was shopping for a down-size from my G26 in 9mm or was asked for a suggestion on what to consider getting it would be a Shield.

YMWV

Have a look at the S&W M&P 9C. I have the 40C and love it. See if you can find somewhere to hold and shoot one. You just may fall in love.

So What Did You Choose..?

So which pistol did you choose..?

Quote Originally Posted by Pistoldoc View Post
    Hi everyone.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I actually came across some good pistols from this thread.
    Anyhow, I just came home with my new Shield. I already love how it feels in my hand. I can't wait to take it to the range!

Thanks again!
    Sandboxpilot, looks like he found his Shield.

From I understand there is a problem with the .40 Shields. A lot of people are complaining that the magazines are falling out of the gun while firing, this could be why they are hard to find. S&W might be adressing the problem. Apparently the 9mm does not have this problem.

Kahr CM9 hands down

Distinguished Member
    Several hundres rounds through my 40 Shield. No mags dropping, no issues. One FTF but calipers on the ammo told the story on that one.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Marriott and Hilton hotels
    If I couldn't get a 9mm Shield and I wanted/needed to stay with 9mm I'd get a Walther PPS. I shot it about as good as the Shield and its the same size.

PT 709 slim 9mm or PT 740 .40
    almost same size as the shield, which is the reason I bought one

I went with the Glock 26. Now that I have 6 magazines (3 10-round, 1 12-round, 1 17-round, and a 33-round), plus a perfect holster (CrossBreed Quick Clip) and a CT Lasergrip.
    I think I'm in love with it. I took it out in my backyard this afternoon and put about 150 rounds of fmj's downrange. Every time I pulled the trigger, it went bang. Every shot went exactly where I wanted it to, it really made me smile!
    Honey, I forgot to duck.- Ronald Reagan

The most terrifying words in the English language are "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".- Ronald Reagan

I have a .40 S&W Shield and a Kel-Tec PF-9. I enjoy the DAO safety of the PF-9 over the manual safety of the Shield. The DAO is smooth, but does have a noticeable difference over the Shield's strikerfire. The Shield's sights are nicer, but I don't have any issues practicing aimed and instinct shooting with the PF-9. The PF-9 was much less expensive. The magazines for the PF-9 are very easy to purchase from Kel-Tec's website. The PF-9 is easy to clean. Both pistols fit in the same Uncle Mike's inside-the-pants holster. I enjoy the PF-9, and I find it comfortable to carry. I would recommend it, but I'm not an expert in any way; just an average citizen.

Distinguished Member
    I have a .40 S&W Shield and a Kel-Tec PF-9. I enjoy the DAO safety of the PF-9 over the manual safety of the Shield. The DAO is smooth, but does have a noticeable difference over the Shield's strikerfire. The Shield's sights are nicer, but I don't have any issues practicing aimed and instinct shooting with the PF-9. The PF-9 was much less expensive. The magazines for the PF-9 are very easy to purchase from Kel-Tec's website. The PF-9 is easy to clean. Both pistols fit in the same Uncle Mike's inside-the-pants holster. I enjoy the PF-9, and I find it comfortable to carry. I would recommend it, but I'm not an expert in any way; just an average citizen.
    The shield is also DAO and they are both striker fired. The safety does not need to be used and is as safe without the safety engaged as the PF9.

Sent from my LG Optimus Elite using Tapatalk 2
    EDC - M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

I was looking at the Kahr CW9 or PM9. Kahr has several offerings, the CW9 actually has a pretty reasonable price tag.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links