Question for Owners: SIG P238/P938

This is a discussion on Question for Owners: SIG P238/P938 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All, I still find myself in the hunt for something to pocket carry. Boy have I been through a lot of thoughts. I was thinking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for Owners: SIG P238/P938

Question for Owners: SIG P238/P938

All,

I still find myself in the hunt for something to pocket carry. Boy have I been through a lot of thoughts. I was thinking Walther PPK for a while... the thought of the new Colt Mustang Pocketlite occurred to me. And yes I thought about and looked at the Shield, the PM9/CM9, and so on and so forth.

After a lot of reading I decided the 238 was looking like the best choice out of what was available. Then SIG puts out the 938 and now I have to pick a caliber between the identical frames. Just when I thought I had it all figured out...

Getting to the point. If owners of the P238 (and P938, if there are any out there) don't mind me asking: what did you pay out-the-door for yours? Just trying to figure out about what I should pay for one. Thanks in advance for any input!
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

2. Remove Ads

I briefly owned a P238. Beautiful gun, built well. I ended up selling and ultimately purchased a Masterpiece Arms MPA380b-II. I thought the P238 would be small and light enough for me to pocket carry. Maybe I just have too small of pockets. I ended up wanting something more compact. Almost bought a Seecamp32 until I found the MPA380. It is the same size as most 32's, is all metal, made in the US and fits in my pocket perfectly. Shoots 3 inch groups at 7 yards and I have no problem with that level of accuracy for a pocket gun. Mild recoil. While I liked the quality and look of the P238, I wanted something a little smaller, a little lighter, double action, and still all metal. I found those requirements in the MPA380.

However, I understand why the Sig P238 is so popular. It is a great pistol if it has size, weight, and 1911 action you are looking for.

Distinguished Member
    My GF and I both carry P238 Equinox's and paid around $575 each (plus $150 each for Crimson Trace LaserGuards). The LGS that gets most of our business has P938's for about $200 more.

We love the P238's, carry them daily, shoot them often and have no regrets for buying them.
    We will very likely purchase a pair of P938's, but probably not until they've proven themselves a bit more. Initial owner reports are very favorable, but we don't buy version 1.0 of anything ;)

I'm sure which ever one you choose you'll be delighted.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

I carry a P238 in black nitron w/siglite night sights, IWB Mackenzie holster. Almost forget its there. It is so compact yet solid feeling in hand, with a Hogue grip I put on it. The gun shoots quite well for a small pocket pistol, accurate and not a harsh recoil that one might expect. I think its kind of fun to shoot for practice at the range and not unpleasant at all. I got mine used, in like new mint condition for $490.00. I don't think that I would ever give it up, its a great gun !

238 and 938 are not identical frames

I've owned the 238 for over a year and the 938 for less than a month. I paid $495 for the 238 and the 938 involved a trade so I can't give an exact retail price. The price tag had $779 on the 938 and I gave $400 and a Walther PPS 9mm ( I hated the PPS so much I didn't even try to negotiate the price - I wanted the damned thing out of my life! Trigger issues were my main complaint.)

The factory specs on the 238 and 938 leads one to believe they are almost identical, but it's amazing what an extra tenth or eighth of an inch can make in the feel of the weapon. I have large hands and the 938 just feels so much more comfortable in my hand. Use the 7-round clip to support your pinkie and it gets even better.

That being said, the 238 is still my favorite EDC. Living in Florida, I'm not too concerned with penetration through heavy clothes like I would be in a northern climate. There are lots of conflicting reports out there about the lack of penetration from the .380, but the more recent studies and videos I've seen indicate that the penetration is satisfactory. I compromised with myself and carry flat-nose FMJ in the .380.

The 238 is an absolute sweetheart to carry concealed. Depending on the event and dress required, I carry it in a fanny pack, N82 IWB, and a Wal-Mart #3 pocket holster that I picked up for $10. The gun disappears into unawareness after 10 minutes of carry. I completely forget that it's there.

The 938 carries and conceals well too, but doesn't disappear like the 238 does. Comparing the two guns via a written thread is kind of like describing sex to a virgin. No one knows what it really feels like until they've done it, and once you've done it, it's impossible to describe to another virgin. Go to your LGS and handle both guns to see the difference in how they feel in your hand. You won't be disappointed with either one of them. The 238 is easier to carry but the 938 ammo is so much cheaper that you can get more pracitice in for the same amount spent.

In comparison, the 938 is a little larger than the 238 but the 938 is just a tad smaller than the PPS.

BTW, the cheapest I've seen the 938 offered is from FloridaGunExchange.com. They had the nightmare version with 2 magazines for $639 or $649. Prices are all over the place so if you shop around, you'll be able to find a deal you like.

Good Luck!

DC

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I have the 238 and find it heavy for pocket carry. Try the Tiger lcp!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Marriott and Hilton hotels
    Where in Tampa do you shop? I'm possibly back to considering the 938. I am considering the PPS too since M&P Shield 9mm can't be found anywhere. Interesting you had trigger issues with the PPS. Was it just feel for you or did it actually break or fail on you ?

Quote Originally Posted by defcon4 View Post
    I've owned the 238 for over a year and the 938 for less than a month. I paid $495 for the 238 and the 938 involved a trade so I can't give an exact retail price. The price tag had $779 on the 938 and I gave $400 and a Walther PPS 9mm ( I hated the PPS so much I didn't even try to negotiate the price - I wanted the damned thing out of my life! Trigger issues were my main complaint.)

The factory specs on the 238 and 938 leads one to believe they are almost identical, but it's amazing what an extra tenth or eighth of an inch can make in the feel of the weapon. I have large hands and the 938 just feels so much more comfortable in my hand. Use the 7-round clip to support your pinkie and it gets even better.

That being said, the 238 is still my favorite EDC. Living in Florida, I'm not too concerned with penetration through heavy clothes like I would be in a northern climate. There are lots of conflicting reports out there about the lack of penetration from the .380, but the more recent studies and videos I've seen indicate that the penetration is satisfactory. I compromised with myself and carry flat-nose FMJ in the .380.

The 238 is an absolute sweetheart to carry concealed. Depending on the event and dress required, I carry it in a fanny pack, N82 IWB, and a Wal-Mart #3 pocket holster that I picked up for $10. The gun disappears into unawareness after 10 minutes of carry. I completely forget that it's there.

The 938 carries and conceals well too, but doesn't disappear like the 238 does. Comparing the two guns via a written thread is kind of like describing sex to a virgin. No one knows what it really feels like until they've done it, and once you've done it, it's impossible to describe to another virgin. Go to your LGS and handle both guns to see the difference in how they feel in your hand. You won't be disappointed with either one of them. The 238 is easier to carry but the 938 ammo is so much cheaper that you can get more pracitice in for the same amount spent.

In comparison, the 938 is a little larger than the 238 but the 938 is just a tad smaller than the PPS.

BTW, the cheapest I've seen the 938 offered is from FloridaGunExchange.com. They had the nightmare version with 2 magazines for $639 or $649. Prices are all over the place so if you shop around, you'll be able to find a deal you like.

Good Luck!

DC

Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Marriott and Hilton hotels
    Also for a pocket .380 I went with the S&W .380 Bodyguard. It light, shoots well, reliable and comes with a laser for $400

My wife and I both have a P238. Mine (BUG) came from Academy Sports and it was $479.95. It came with a 7 round mag and night sights. My wife's P238 HD came from a shop in Arizona, Merchant Firearms, and it was $625 including shipping.

When I first received my chl here in Texas, I went to the range and fired many pocket sized firearms. I shot the S&W Bodyguard, Ruger LCP, Keltec P3AT, and finally the Sig P238. The Sig was the last one I shot out of the whole bunch and was just blown away by its low felt recoil and no jam/ no failure execution. I bought one the next day with Tritium/Fiber Optics sights and Blackwood grips included for $550. That price, with a lifetime warranty and the already installed TFO sights by Sig, made the dollar cost an afterthought.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

defcom4: Question-- How does the recoil compare between the 238 and 938?

I have a Colt Mustang which is the father of the 238. Mine is in stainless, and is NOT the airweight model at 20 OZ.
    Stainless because I sweat a lot, especially when outside. The weight controls recoil better. Recoil is quite comfortable and allows a rapid fire of 7 shots. (My Smith 642 is at 15 OZ.)
    The above weights are fully loaded weapons.

One thing a really like about the Colt/Sieg design of the 1911: The firing pin safety block.
    This is the 1980 (or Mk80) modification that colt made in the 1911 because the Gov't spec for a 'saturday night special" was it would fire if cocked and dropped on the hammer. The 1911s before that will.
    The mod locks the firing pin unless the trigger is physically held back. I carry with hammer down, but with a live round chambered. I practice draw, cock, fire drills (unloaded gun, of course)

Mine was 509 out the door..P238 that is..sweetheart to carry, but it not really a pocket gun..only thing I ever found that pocket carried well without printing or feeling like a brick was the Ruger LCP. The 238 I carry owb with..the actual sig holster, it disappears under a loose T-Shirt.
    P238-Holster-detail.jpg
    P1010246.jpg
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Love my P238 Extreme version. I paid around $550 or so a few months back. Great little shooters IMO. Carry one of mine all the time. IMO, the Sig P238 is one of the better .380s out there.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by mdrums View Post
    Where in Tampa do you shop? I'm possibly back to considering the 938. I am considering the PPS too since M&P Shield 9mm can't be found anywhere. Interesting you had trigger issues with the PPS. Was it just feel for you or did it actually break or fail on you ?
    Try Shoot Straight. Their location in Casselberry had the shield 9's in stock. My dad purchased one last weekend. The Apopka store had a stack of shields also. They might transfer one to the Tampa or Lakeland location.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I pocket carry a P238 with crimson trace laser mostly in cargo shorts in the summer time. I made a kydex pocket holster so I feel better about carrying a round in the chamber. The holster weighs almost nothing and stays in my pocket pretty well. My other carry gun is a S&W airweight .38. This is kinda bad because the airweight does not have a safety and the P238 has a safety. That takes a little head work to remember the safety. I also carry Fox Lab pepper spray as a non-leather alternative. I made a kydex holster for the OC too. The loaded P238 and the airweight are the same but the P238 is much thinner and does not print so much, especially with the pocket holster.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links