1911 Can of Worms - Page 2

1911 Can of Worms

This is a discussion on 1911 Can of Worms within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 You can also take a look at the RIA officer's model. For the price it's pretty good gun. Picked mine up ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    You can also take a look at the RIA officer's model. For the price it's pretty good gun. Picked mine up for $355. Runs great, not stainless though but you can always get it armor coated or hard chromed, with the money you save. For an entry level 1911 I think it's a great gun.
    Though I have Kimbers, I'll +1 the RIA officers model especially if cash is a constraint.
    I've heard alot of good things about them after a fluff n buff.

Frankmako...

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    save your $$$ and get a colt combat commander. or ???? you can get a glock 36. no matter you will have a 45.
    Actually, I have had my Kimber Ultra as a carry weapon for quite a while. Recently, I purchased a Glock-36...don't know why...I thought that most G's felt like bricks in my hand. But when I held the '36' if felt great. I bought it, and then tried it out...loved it. Several weeks ago I put Trij night sights on it, and last week my two Fist IWB holsters arrived (strong side and SOB). I have been wearing both holsters all around the house and on short errands...I can't believe how confortable the weapon really is...could become my favorite...!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have two SPRs. One mil spec and the other a stainless that's been through the SPR custom shop. Both are excellent shooters and have had thousands of rounds through them with no problems.

I did have a Kimber Ultra, but a little too small, not as accurate as a full size 1911 (maybe my old eyes), and used to break extractors. I sold it to a friend that doesn't shoot very often and he is happy with it.

Para ...Canada ...not for me.
    ...one jagged hole!

I also have a G30 that is very reliable and the wife carrys a G36 and loves it. They live in Don Hume IWBs.
    ...one jagged hole!

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Actually, I have had my Kimber Ultra as a carry weapon for quite a while. Recently, I purchased a Glock-36...don't know why...I thought that most G's felt like bricks in my hand. But when I held the '36' if felt great. I bought it, and then tried it out...loved it. Several weeks ago I put Trij night sights on it, and last week my two Fist IWB holsters arrived (strong side and SOB). I have been wearing both holsters all around the house and on short errands...I can't believe how confortable the weapon really is...could become my favorite...!

ret
    Ah Hah - another convert

Glad to hear you like it. The GLOCK makes a great concealed carry weapon when size, weight, and ammo capacity are factored together. The polymer and tenifer really hold up well in humid environments also. Congrats!

Talking Carry Guns

My carry guns are S&W1911/.45 scandiumPD with 41/4" barrel. I carry it in a IWB holster. http://www.andrewsleather.com/
    I carry a Kel-Tec P3AT in my front pocket or on me somewhere.

You might be a Redneck if: You've ever pruned your trees with a shotgun.

Get a conventional bushing barrel 1911 in either a 4.25" or 5". Stay away from the 3.5" OACPs. There reliability is hit and miss. Some report fabulous results and other dismal. Just not reliable enough across the board to consider. I advise against the 4" bull barrel 1911s. PITA to disassemble, at least the Kimber I fondled.

The Springfield GI is a good start and had the chance to fire one. Superb pistol, get the one with the beveled mag well. I am checking out a Taurus 1911 for a range gun. Looks great and is priced right.
    The S&W1911 commanders are nice too. Haven't had the chance to fondle any of them.

Para Ord has some nice commander size models. Colt is always an option, although I boycott them. Kimbers look nice.

Whoever said the Defender is too big to carry in FL heat I hope is joking. During this past summer I carried my 5" Para P16 just fine and was completely concealed under a light T-shirt. Seems like a rig selection error.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Just Got Back...

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Pride View Post
    Ah Hah - another convert

Glad to hear you like it. The GLOCK makes a great concealed carry weapon when size, weight, and ammo capacity are factored together. The polymer and tenifer really hold up well in humid environments also. Congrats!
    from the range. I wanted to try the placement of my Trij night sights...right on!
    It is a nice shooter...but it's IS the comfortable carry that impresses me too!
    It's a tough one...I like my Ultra...and I really like the G-36.

One obvious difference is the end of the range day...cleaning!

The Kimber isn't hard...but it is not a simple task (need my reading glasses and a paper clip).

The Glock can be taken apart and put back together again without looking at the gun...pretty quickly too!

I guess if I had to evacuate and could only grab one gun...it might just be the G-36!

Stay alert...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
    Whoever said the Defender is too big to carry in FL heat I hope is joking. During this past summer I carried my 5" Para P16 just fine and was completely concealed under a light T-shirt. Seems like a rig selection error.
    No joke, I know I wont carry mine in the summer here in florida. We live in gym shorts and bathing suits. A 27-38oz .45 will jerk my shorts off!!!! Its not a question of CAN you carry it, sure it can be done, its more a question of why??? My Kel-tec fits the bill perfectly. Totally invisible, even without a shirt on!! I cant do that with my .45s.
    Jesus said "and if you dont have a sword (AK), sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

While I understand the idea of not wanting to carry a full size 1911 in Fl. with a bathing suit or some shorts I've carried in jeans or regular shorts for over 10 years. I'm not a big man, about 5' 7' and 140 lbs, but i carry a Delta Elete IWB all day, every day and never have been really bothered by it. At least not enough to change to a different gun or carry method except some times I carry a .357 snubby, cross draw on the weak side too if I have to go somewhere I think it's wise. Mainly because it's easy to get to if I'm sitting in my car with a seat belt on.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnBald View Post
    While I understand the idea of not wanting to carry a full size 1911 in Fl. with a bathing suit or some shorts I've carried in jeans or regular shorts for over 10 years. I'm not a big man, about 5' 7' and 140 lbs, but i carry a Delta Elete IWB all day, every day and nevcer have been really bothyered by it. At least not enough to change to a different gun or carry method except some times I carry a .357 snubby, cross draw on the weak side too if I have to go somewhere I think it's wise. Mainly because it's easy to get to if I'm sitting in my car.
    I totally agree with you, when I wear jean shorts and a big T-shirt, I dont have a problem at all. The Colt Defender is easily concealed. Its just those months when we spend alot of time buming around on the beach with very little clothing, I still want to be armed.....thats all. There is something to be said about the concealability of the mouse guns.
    Jesus said "and if you dont have a sword (AK), sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

OD*
    Colt is always an option, although I boycott them.
    Why?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

First, a word about concealability: It's nothing to hide a 1911. My everyday carry is either a fullsize Springfield, or a fullsize Springfield with a rail. I carry with 5.11 pants, jeans and shorts, often with only a T-shirt cover garment. A Commander size gun does not conceal any better than a full size. An Officers size does, if you go that route, but it's the grip length that a problem, not the barrel length.

Personal opinion only: I think a Springfield Loaded model would be good for your purpose. No, I'm not a Springfield junkie, I've owned others, but I only own 2 1911s right now, and both are Springfields, a Loaded and a Loaded Operator.

If you shop around, you can find a deal, usually a parked Loaded model for right around 600. I bought mine NIB for 619. That gives you extended safety (which I like) and night sights (another plus) and nothing else that is going to get in the way. I like the parkerized finish too, it holds oil well. I actually prefer it to my other 1911 with Duracoat.

Now back to carrying this beast. You may already know this, but I'll say it just in case: there is no substitute for quality leather. I prefer Milt Sparks holsters and belts. The Versa Max 2 is the key to me being able to hide a fullsize gun under light clothing. You get what you pay for.

I have this 1911, the aftermarket grips, the holster, and a few mags, and I came out just under $800. I love this piece, and it's my every day gun.
    I'll take a .45 and a large side of JHPs, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    You can also take a look at the RIA officer's model. For the price it's pretty good gun. Picked mine up for $355. Runs great, not stainless though but you can always get it armor coated or hard chromed, with the money you save. For an entry level 1911 I think it's a great gun.

whirlwind06 maybe you can give me a website that I can look at these guns. I really would like a 1911 and the prices for them kinda hurt a young kid like myself. I googled it and couldn't find anything. I am thinking it would be a good starter gun for me as well. Thank you

Colt refuses to sell their "LE" (no-ban) weapons to civilians. If you put an order in for one of these "LE" models with your gun dealer, they will drag him through mud to prove you are LE and not a civilian. The only Colt ARs you can buy are the crappy no lug no FS models.

Thank goodness for the military contracts otherwise Colt would have shut their doors a long time ago. They make excellent firearms, don't get me wrong. The way they treated me and other gun owners is inexcuseable and they won't get a single cent from me.

Similarly, Ruger will not sell +10-rd mags, folding stocks, etc to civilians, at least when I tried. They too make some of the best firearms available today, but they won't get a single cent from me. Might not do much, but I am not the only one who feels this way.

If Ruger or Colt close their doors, I won't shed a tear or lose any sleep over it.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links