1911 Can of Worms - Page 3

1911 Can of Worms

This is a discussion on 1911 Can of Worms within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ANYBODY can buy an LEO Colt AR. LE6920's are easily attained as are many other Colt AR's w/ FS and bayo lugs. The AWB sunset ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Can of Worms

ANYBODY can buy an LEO Colt AR. LE6920's are easily attained as are many other Colt AR's w/ FS and bayo lugs. The AWB sunset was over a year ago they have been available since then.
    Last edited by yellowv; September 24th, 2006 at 05:38 PM.

WHAT???!!! I was asking about 1911's guys. Don't have the cash for an AR too right now. :)
    I am liking the SA more and more, but I'm the kind of guy who takes his time when separating from a big chunk of cash. Keep the thoughts and ideas comming.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
    Get a conventional bushing barrel 1911 in either a 4.25" or 5". Stay away from the 3.5" OACPs. There reliability is hit and miss. Some report fabulous results and other dismal. Just not reliable enough across the board to consider. I advise against the 4" bull barrel 1911s. PITA to disassemble, at least the Kimber I fondled.
    I could not disagree with you more. I can clean my Kimber Ultra carry just as fast as a 4 or 5 inch 1911 as long as you have the tool or a common paperclip. I don't buy into the unreliable banter of Kimber's smaller 1911's at all. I know of at least 6 owners who shoot regularly that have had no trouble at all. I don't know anyone who doesn't like their 3.5 incher, who I have met and shot with. I think those problems are way overstated. I went to the range this morning and put another 250 rounds through mine without a hiccup. I have personally put over 5000 rounds through mine and I bought it used. I don't agree with steering people away from the 3.5's, they just make too good of a carry firearm.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

+1 on that I can strip and reassemble my Ultra in about a minute or so.

I agree with the save your money and get a Colt Commander, or buy a Springfield Armory GI model. The GI is a very good 1911 and is priced very reasonable for a 1911. Recently saw a new 5" parkerized GI for about $500 or a 3" Micro Compact GI for about $550 in a gun shop near by.

Quote Originally Posted by elrey718 View Post
    whirlwind06 maybe you can give me a website that I can look at these guns. I really would like a 1911 and the prices for them kinda hurt a young kid like myself. I googled it and couldn't find anything. I am thinking it would be a good starter gun for me as well. Thank you
    I bought my RIA through gunbroker.com. Search for Rock Island 1911 and you'll find some. But there are a few sites that have them. Mostly 5 inch 1911 but there are a few Officer's Models out there to.
    http://www.sarcoinc.com/rockislands-new.html
    http://www.classicarms.us/

Quote Originally Posted by yellowv View Post
    ANYBODY can buy an LEO Colt AR. LE6920's are easily attained as are many other Colt AR's w/ FS and bayo lugs. The AWB sunset was over a year ago they have been available since then.
    Nope. Not anybody. Colt called my dealer back and asked for proof that I was LE. They told my dealer they didn't sell any weapons with a bayonet lug or flash suppressor to anyone that wasn't sworn LE. They said "no simple civilian needs a bayonet or flash suppressor on any gun" according to my FFL. This was after the AWB sunset. I asked around to other dealers and they all said the same thing. They have since dropped Colt (and Ruger) from their stock. They don't even deal with Colt anymore up here.

Colt, as far as I am concerned, isn't worth the paper I wipe my Rear with.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by ak-kev View Post
    No joke, I know I wont carry mine in the summer here in florida. We live in gym shorts and bathing suits. A 27-38oz .45 will jerk my shorts off!!!! Its not a question of CAN you carry it, sure it can be done, its more a question of why??? My Kel-tec fits the bill perfectly. Totally invisible, even without a shirt on!! I cant do that with my .45s.
    Up here it was in the upper 90s to lower 100s with humidity at 90-100% for two weeks straight and I carried my 58 ounce 1911 all day long those two weeks. I just can't believe someone can't carry a frickin' OACP in similar conditions. I guess I've heard it all now.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

OD*
    They said "no simple civilian needs a bayonet or flash suppressor on any gun" according to my FFL. This was after the AWB sunset. I asked around to other dealers and they all said the same thing.
    They'd be wrong, the Match Target M4, Match Target HBAR and Match Target Competition HBAR are offered with them.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Nope. Not anybody. Colt called my dealer back and asked for proof that I was LE. They told my dealer they didn't sell any weapons with a bayonet lug or flash suppressor to anyone that wasn't sworn LE. They said "no simple civilian needs a bayonet or flash suppressor on any gun" according to my FFL. This was after the AWB sunset. I asked around to other dealers and they all said the same thing. They have since dropped Colt (and Ruger) from their stock. They don't even deal with Colt anymore up here.

Colt, as far as I am concerned, isn't worth the paper I wipe my ass with.
    That just doesn't sound right. A week before the AWB sunsetted I put a Colt LE6920 and two LEO/Govt marked Bushmaster M4A3s on layaway at the LEO price, then picked them all up the day after the ban lifted, no problem at all. I still have the Colt.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

You need to find another FFL. Give me $1200 and I'll pick up a 6920 for you right now.

Get a conventional bushing barrel 1911 in either a 4.25" or 5". Stay away from the 3.5" OACPs. There reliability is hit and miss. Some report fabulous results and other dismal. Just not reliable enough across the board to consider. I advise against the 4" bull barrel 1911s. PITA to disassemble, at least the Kimber I fondled.
    Heh - I'll second that. That's the only thing I don't like about my kimber - it's bushingless and a royal pain to "field-strip". With what it takes to do a basic break-down I might as well just do a detail strip and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowv View Post
    You need to find another FFL. Give me $1200 and I'll pick up a 6920 for you right now.
    I am building my own. Got the lower completely built. Only cost me $175 so far including the lower. Saving up for the BCM middy upper. When all is said and done, my AR will be built for less than $800, excluding optics.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I'm very happy with my Kimber Ultra CDP II as a primary carry piece, usually stowed in a Tucker Answer. Very accurate and reliable. Field stripping is no problem, either. So, I wouldn't shy away from the short-barreled 1911s if you find a good deal.

I also am an admirer of the SA GI .45. I saw a couple of them at a gun show this past weekend in the $450 range. That's a very good value for a quality firearm, IMHO. As has been mentioned before, a good-sized gun show provides a great opportunity to view a lot of different weapons, new and used, from a lot of different dealers. You also have a good chance to get an even better deal if you're prepared to pay in cash. It's kind of a dangerous environment for me though. Too many weapons try to follow me home!
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Up here it was in the upper 90s to lower 100s with humidity at 90-100% for two weeks straight and I carried my 58 ounce 1911 all day long those two weeks. I just can't believe someone can't carry a frickin' OACP in similar conditions. I guess I've heard it all now.
    Dude...its all right, everything is fine. Im not going to carry my 45's on the beach with a bathing suit on. Period. Im quite happy with my Kel-Tec thank you. You can carry what you want, but dont criticise me for my choices. Peace.
    Jesus said "and if you dont have a sword (AK), sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links