1911 Can of Worms

This is a discussion on 1911 Can of Worms within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know this might open up a can of worms, but I'm looking for help finding a CCW 1911. I don't have a big budget. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Can of Worms

1911 Can of Worms

I know this might open up a can of worms, but I'm looking for help finding a CCW 1911. I don't have a big budget. I want a easily concealable 1911 that will wear well (stainless, or hard finish) for every day carry in 45 ACP. I'm not partial to brand. I don't need ambidex. saftey etc. Something in a comander size or smaller is what I'm thinking. I've looked at Para, Springfield, and Kimber and liked them all for different reasons. I'm fairly new to 1911's. I like to shoot them, but don't really know the differences. HELP!!!
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

2. Remove Ads

Springfield GI

Personally, I would not go with the Para; I think Springfield and Kimber have better quality. And since one of your parameters is price, my vote is for a Springfield GI. It has the basics (and looks great with the "U.S." grips IMO) for about 500-600 dollars. Anyways, I hope you end up what you are looking for.

Oh, and for carry, have you considered 3" models, or are you a 5" guy like me?

Bring about $450-$500 in cash to gun shows and keep your eyes open for a good used 1911. Stick with the basics and upgrade/modify when you know what you want to improve upon.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Opening up worm cans seems to be pretty normal around here

I think that the 1911 is a great carry weapon and am sure you will be happy with your decision to go that way. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the modern versions of the 1911's: Springfield, Kimber, Colt etc etc all make a great pistol. It really boils down to personal preference. As has been said on here many times; find a range that has rental pistols and try as many as you can. You will find that some manufacturer's products just feel and work better for you.

As well, you might want to try out the new Taurus PT1911. There is a great article in the August issue of American Rifleman. The basic pistol has quite a few upgraded parts and was given a thumbs up in the test report (with the exception of a heavy trigger). It lists at $600 bucks and Taurus has really come on strong in the last several years producing great firearms.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Commander size, stainless 1911

You said you were looking for a stainless Commander size 1911 for carry. I believe the two best possibilities, based on reputation for reliability and reasonable price, are the S&W 1911SC (scandium frame, stainless finish) and the Kimber Pro Carry in stainless. Either one will cost about $750 to $800 in new condition.

on the cheep a springfield other wise a colt commander

I think you will be pleasently suprised with Springfield. The G.I, or Mil-spec are fine handguns.

Another huge pluse to Springfield Armory is their outstanding warenty! If you happen to get a "lemon" Springfield will fix your 1911 quickly, and for free. That comes in handy when no matter what name 1911 you buy, you might get a "lemon".

This is my most concealable 45. I love it. I only cary it in the winter though. Still too big for the summers here.
    Jesus said "and if you dont have a sword (AK), sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Save up your money and get a Colt!!!
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

fwiw here are some recent reports ive done on 3 different 1911s that i have purchased in the last 3 months or so.

Colt Combat Commander XSE - stainless, 4.25" (my most often carried weapon these days)

Springfield Ultra Carry - stainless, 3.5" excellent weapon, my carry choice for deep cover

Kimber Pro Raptor II - 4" (link includes repair list from kimber) wouldnt feed, wouldnt eject, a miserable disappointment for a supposed "custom shop" weapon. i returned it and got my money back.

if i had to make a recommendation to you now i would have to know more about your specific dress requirements. the ultra carry is a great weapon with a lifetime warranty that can dang near go in your pocket. if you dont need the most absolute deep cover, the colt commander (also a lifetime warranty!) is great. my all time favorite is my springfield TRP, but being 5" doesnt carry quite as well IWB. one day ill give kimber another chance, but since their warranty is only 1 year (compared to springfield/colt lifetime warranties!) im going to wait until they get their quality control under control before rolling those dice again.

I'll Stay With Kimber...

as I have two of them and they have both been 'nearly' flawless.
    I have to admit...one time...I was shooting with a mirror, over my shoulder...on one knee...blindfolded, and I was almost 3 inches off of the bull's eye...darn that Kimber...usually they're right on...

On the reality side, my Ultra CDP II has served me very well and it is easy to conceal.

Honestly? You can get a lemon with any model. I have known individuals to pay $2,500-$3,500 for a pistol and still have problems.

Good luck with your search!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A Colt defender is not too big too carry in the Florida summer. You obviuosly dont have the right holster. I can carry my Ultra size Kimber under a t shirt with shorts on with a Brommeland Max Con V. I reccommend a Kimber Ultra Carry should run you under $800 if you shop around.

Lead Moderator
    I own and carry a SA champ daily. I find the 4" barrel a perfect balance of size and handling. I went with the Alum frame for weight savings. The recoil isn't bad either.
    The champ comes with thin grips and takes standard size 1911 mags so range mags can be bought cheap.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

save your $$$ and get a colt combat commander. or ???? you can get a glock 36. no matter you will have a 45.

You can also take a look at the RIA officer's model. For the price it's pretty good gun. Picked mine up for $355. Runs great, not stainless though but you can always get it armor coated or hard chromed, with the money you save. For an entry level 1911 I think it's a great gun.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links