The Kimber Super Carry Custom HD – what a pleasure to shoot!!!

This is a discussion on The Kimber Super Carry Custom HD – what a pleasure to shoot!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First a promo for Kimber CS. I traded for this gun sometime back and found it shot 2Ē low at 10 yards. I called Kimber ...

Thread: The Kimber Super Carry Custom HD – what a pleasure to shoot!!!

Senior Moderator

The Kimber Super Carry Custom HD – what a pleasure to shoot!!!

First a promo for Kimber CS. I traded for this gun sometime back and found it shot 2Ē low at 10 yards. I called Kimber and before I could blink, a UPS shipping label was headed my way via email!!!

I donít remember how long it took for the round trip but it wasnít long, and at no cost to me at all. I put it in the safe because I was going through my Glock phase. I really like Glocks!

Before I go on, let me share another CS experience. I got a brand new Sig P229R E2 and it did the same thing Ė shot two inches low Ė starting to sound like the problem is me isnít it! Well Sig CS says I have to remove the slide and send the slide, barrel and recoil spring to them Ė I have to pay for shipping! I never did send it. I was pretty miffed that I paid what I did for a brand new Sig and then was expected to pay for shipping to fix a sight indexing problem that was their fault. Grrrrr!

But back to Kimber. The other day I decided I needed to shoot the Super Carry and see if the problem was fixed. You can decide for yourself:

10-Aug-2012, std eval drill Ė off-hand, slow fire, 4 shots each @ 3, 5, 7, 10, 15 yds:

11-Aug-2012 Ė same drill but backwards, 15, 10, 7, 5, 3 yds

I say Kimber fixed the sight issue just right! IIRC, thatís the first of my six Kimbers Iíve had any problems with that didnít clear up after the 500 round break in period. And Kimber CS is simply top notch!

What doesnít show up in the pics is that it just seemed effortless. Well, not really effortless, but easier than I was expecting.

I measured the trigger pull weight on a Lyman Digital Trigger Scale and it was breaking at about 5 lbs 14 oz average. Thatís a bit high. After 250 rounds (400 total) the trigger pull was down to 4 lbs 15 oz average Ė thatís more like it. I expect it will stay about there.

Another thing I did was compare shooting 185 gn against 230 gn. The 185 gn simply won my heart! What sweet shooting! Plus, Iím pretty much carrying Hornady Critical Defense now and that only comes in 185 gn for the .45 ACP. Kind of strange, but I like it! So, itís good that my range ammo is 185 gns I guess.

Oh, I did have one failure to feed with the 185 gn within the first 250 rounds through the gun. I expect the 185 gn is a bit marginal prior to the 500 round mark. Kimber recommends 230 gn for the first 500 rounds but I couldnít resist the 185 gn.

From the 250 count to the 400 round count, I had no other failures to feed with the 185 gn. Apparently itís lapping in and handling the lighter bullet reliably now.

I'm using KimPro Tac mags exclusively now in all my Kimbers - they've proven to be very dependable and reliable and they're quite competitively priced.

I enjoyed the shootability, accuracy, handling, and reliability of the Kimber so much, it has now become my carry gun.

I say this reluctantly, but just today I added up the sacrifices I would have to make to acquire a Kimber Custom TLE/RL; I decided the Kimber was worth it and made the deal. I was really after a Kimber Desert Warrior, but I discovered it doesnít have front strap checkering and the TLE/RL does, but then thatís another thread.

Also coming in another thread is the installation and performance of a Fulcrum trigger kit in a Glock!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Nice shooting! Nice to hear that Kimber CS is responsive, too.

My one Kimber - Custom CDP II - has likewise never had a lick of problems since it was new, about 2000 rounds ago. The OEM mag (not a KimPro, IIRC) was junk so it got tossed, and it runs perfectly on Wilsons as the other 1911s do.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Nice shooting! Nice to hear that Kimber CS is responsive, too.

My one Kimber - Custom CDP II - has likewise never had a lick of problems since it was new, about 2000 rounds ago. The OEM mag (not a KimPro, IIRC) was junk so it got tossed, and it runs perfectly on Wilsons as the other 1911s do.
    Yeah, I don't know what the deal is with the OEM mag. I think I'll shoot my OEMs and see what happens.

BTW, it was a Custom CDP II that got me on the Kimber trail. A guy I see at the range a lot walked over and laid a Kimber Custom CDP II and a full mag on my bench and of course he didn't have to ask twice! I figured the small gun and aluminum frame was going to be a handful, but it had nowhere near the recoil I expected. I mean it had some punch, but quite manageable. I couldn't get over how well it shot and how well I shot with it. A week later I had my first Kimber, a Pro Carry.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Just put the first 150 of the break-in through my Super Carry Custom HD and man do I love this Kimber!!!! Not a single problem, definitely going to enjoy using this as my carry!

I too am breaking in a new Kimber Siper Carry Custom,
    Really happy about it!! Training class on Sunday can't wait.

I almost forgot nice shooting

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    nice grouping
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

I let 3 of my friends shoot my Ultra CDP II, they all bought one and carry them. I had my trigger reduced from 6# to 3.1 #.
    CDP = Cool Damn Pistol !

I've had my CDP since February and have shot a hundred rounds or so of Hornady 147, 135 and 124 grain all flawlessly. When I first got the gun, I tried shooting some 115 gr fmj and had numerous FTE. Today I shot 20 rounds of it also flawlessly. I think that the mag springs might have been too strong when new. I could not even load the mag fully by hand. Now, after daily carry, the springs have loosened up and I can easily load by hand now. Perhaps that was the cause of the initial fte's. I am very happy with the purchase. I got mine from Bud's and only waited one month and paid "only" $1080. I waited for over 6 months from Impact Arms and never heard squat from them. I only wish Kimber would make some more mags available.
    I find that I cannot release the mags with only the ambidextrous button, but have to push the mag up from the bottom, to take the pressure off, and then push the mag release. Anyone else have this problem?

Have had my Super Carry Custom for almost a year now and it is a superb, problem-free handgun.

Sold all my Kimbers to get into Glock in a big way.
    That said, I have to say that my Kimbers were a real joy to shoot...smooth and accurate.

Nice shooting, by the way.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Been to the range twice with my Ultra Carry II and I agree, it is a joy to shoot. Very accurate.
    Sig Sauer P226 .40 - HD
    Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 - EDC

Shoots like my Kimber HD.

Links