My Carry - S&W 642 w/ Werner Carry System

My Carry - S&W 642 w/ Werner Carry System

This is a discussion on My Carry - S&W 642 w/ Werner Carry System within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all. New here. Just thought I'd show off my carry. I carry a S&W 642. I was looking for the best way to carry ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Martensite
  • 1 Post By Martensite

Thread: My Carry - S&W 642 w/ Werner Carry System

Thumbs up My Carry - S&W 642 w/ Werner Carry System

Hi all. New here. Just thought I'd show off my carry. I carry a S&W 642. I was looking for the best way to carry and came across the "Werner Carry System". The Werner Carry System consists of a Barami Hip grip, Tyler T-Grip with a Hogue Handall Jr wrapped around the two. I love this system. Absolutely the best way to carry J-Frame. My favorite carry is "Appendix" style up in front. Just thought I'd share!

ArmyMan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Martensite View Post
    Hi all. New here. Just thought I'd show off my carry. I carry a S&W 642. I was looking for the best way to carry and came across the "Werner Carry System". The Werner Carry System consists of a Barami Hip grip, Tyler T-Grip with a Hogue Handall Jr wrapped around the two. I love this system. Absolutely the best way to carry J-Frame. My favorite carry is "Appendix" style up in front. Just thought I'd share!
    The Werner Carry System looks intriguing to say the least. Regarding Appendix carry however, why would anyone do this? I mean carrying with the gun pointing to the femoral artery just doesn't strike me as being too swift. Please understand I mean no offence; I just can't see violating one of the four cardinal rules of gun safety.
    Last edited by dawei; August 13th, 2012 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Correct Typo
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Grip the cylinder of a revolver and try to "accidently" pull the trigger. Not likely to happen. Belt and pants do the same thing.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Grip the cylinder of a revolver and try to "accidently" pull the trigger. Not likely to happen. Belt and pants do the same thing.
    Yep. I've tried it (unloaded, of course!). There's a lot of torque resistance generated by a good holster (or other stuff) engaging the cylinder.

The main reason now that I don't appendix carry is that I find it uncomfortable. But for those that don't find it uncomfortable, I can see why they choose to do so.

I tested the trigger pull with a Lyman digital trigger pull gauge. Over 12 lbs (off the scale). Appendix carry is safe with this little revolver IMHO.
    ArmyMan likes this.

Those theories on heavy trigger pull and belt keeping cylinder tight are great, but the best way to safely carry a gun will always be with trigger covered! 12 pounds really isn't much if something were to get stuck in the trigger guard during a fall or such. When it comes to carry, I am a firm believer that a good belt AND a good holster that covers the trigger is an absolute must and carry system without those is simply incomplete.

Quote Originally Posted by Coachr64 View Post
    12 pounds really isn't much if something were to get stuck in the trigger guard during a fall or such.
    I just don't see it. Since the pistol is riding inside my pants outside my underwear, there's just not much that could get stuck in the trigger guard. Now, if you're talking about falling against a protruding object outside the pants such as a limb or stick...maybe. But again...it wouldn't be easy to rotate the cylinder when pressed tightly against the pants and body. I guess I don't see it as a big issue since it's a revolver not a Glock.

One of my personal gun safety rules is "Don't point a gun at my junk." That's just me. I carry at 3:00 and 4:00. I've looked at the clip grips and clip add ons, but I just have engrained in me after nearly 40 years to keep the trigger covered. Old habit, hard to break. Probably never will.

I like snubs though, and it looks interesting indeed. I carry a 42 quite a bit that I installed old school Smith wooden grips on. After adding the tyler t grip and handall, seems like it would essentially be the same feel and size as the factory boot grip. The old thin wooden grips just feel right to me. Again, old habits, hard to break.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by Martensite View Post
    Always a pleasure to meet another S&W 642 fan

Since I use a CrimsonTrace laser, the Werner Carry System isn't an option for me. Below is my preferred method of carry:

ccw1.jpg...ccw2.jpg...ccw3.jpg...ccw4.jpg...ccw5.jpg

A quick note on muzzle awareness: Yes, you're correct, the heavy 12lb trigger pull is one of the features which makes this one of the safest firearms to carry and handle. I have two small children and neither can pull the trigger even if using both hands. However, imo it's always bad ju-ju to point the at myself, and I wouldn't carry in the front of my waist band for that reason (well...that and it's harder for me to work with something in that spot, too).

Anyway, have you given any thought to sights for your 642?

I use the barami grips also with my 642 however I have never thought abt using a t grip with it or yet a grip sleeve with it. I feel safe with the barmaid grips at 3:30 position since the double action pull is heavy but I just don't like that appendix carry pointing at a main artery with any kind of firearm. My 642 is my main SD pistol now and sometimes a PF9 auto loader...
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    Since I use a CrimsonTrace laser, the Werner Carry System isn't an option for me. Below is my preferred method of carry:

Anyway, have you given any thought to sights for your 642?
    My pistol was purchased with the Crimson Trace Laser system. However, since I carry mainly during the daytime, I decided to swap it out for the hip grip. I really like the way it carries with the hip grip.

As far as sights...what sights could you add to a 642 that would be relatively relatively snag-free?

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Martensite, good photos. And a fine little revolver too. Nice job and good choice!

Regards,
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Diddle View Post
    Martensite, good photos. And a fine little revolver too. Nice job and good choice!
    Thanks! I'm thinking about buying a Charter Arms Pitbull .45 ACP (when they come out later this year) or a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 spcl DAO and carrying it the same way. My dad always tells me a true man-stopping caliber starts with ".4".

That's a really neat idea. A J frame is my next planned purchase, and this set up is what I'm going to run. Thanks for a fantastic idea.
    "If it bleeds...we can kill it." -Dutch, Predator

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    One of my personal gun safety rules is "Don't point a gun at my junk." That's just me. I carry at 3:00 and 4:00. I've looked at the clip grips and clip add ons, but I just have engrained in me after nearly 40 years to keep the trigger covered. Old habit, hard to break. Probably never will.

I like snubs though, and it looks interesting indeed. I carry a 42 quite a bit that I installed old school Smith wooden grips on. After adding the tyler t grip and handall, seems like it would essentially be the same feel and size as the factory boot grip. The old thin wooden grips just feel right to me. Again, old habits, hard to break.
    I carry my 342 in my pocket or 330-4... can't carry it any other way but it's just me I am sure

Links