Possible 1911 Trigger Upgrade

This is a discussion on Possible 1911 Trigger Upgrade within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm thinking about changing out the stock trigger in my stainless Colt Commander (my EDC) for one of those fancy-lookin' skeletonized triggers to make it ...

Thread: Possible 1911 Trigger Upgrade

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar

I'm thinking about changing out the stock trigger in my stainless Colt Commander (my EDC) for one of those fancy-lookin' skeletonized triggers to make it look a little more flashy. I'm curious, though, about the possible pros and cons with changing out the stock trigger for an EDC 1911, and if there are any suggestions of what kind to be looking at and where to buy one from (if that even matters). I've been checking out Brownells and Midway, to start.

I haven't done any major modifications to my firearms before, but I've been researching changing out the trigger and it looks like something I can do myself. With that said, any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member
    These days, with modern alloys, a skeletonized trigger is no longer necessary. They originally drilled out steel triggers to lighten them and improve reset time. They're all polymer or aluminum now, so that's not needed.

That said, if you want one, go for it. I may need some minor fitting.

The main pros are that they are available in different lengths and shapes to accommodate your preferences, and they can be had with over-travel stop screws and take-up tabs to minimize unnecessary movement.

I put an Ed Brown Videki trigger in my EDC, and overall I'm happy with it, but just fyi, it does not have take-up tabs and it does not come with the correct hex wrench for the over-travel screw. Any of the major manufacturers (Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, Cylinder & Slide, STI, etc) are good choices.
    Last edited by Xader; August 13th, 2012 at 04:52 PM.

Links