New Gun Day X2

This is a discussion on New Gun Day X2 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am having rotator cuff surgery soon, and have been thinking about how I am going to be able to defend myself with one arm. ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Brad426
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: New Gun Day X2

New Gun Day X2

I am having rotator cuff surgery soon, and have been thinking about how I am going to be able to defend myself with one arm. I normally carry a Kimber Ultra CDPIIOWB in a galco holster at about the 7:30-8:00 position. My surgery will be on my left shoulder, so not only will I be single handed, it'll be weak side single handed.
    I had been planning on a revolver, thought I would borrow the wife's 442, and be done with it. "Not so fast, she says get your own gun and leave mine alone"!
    So.. I took that as permission to buy a new gun Went to the gun show this weekend to see what I could see. Nothing but junk and overpriced junk at that.
    So off to Gunbroker I go. I was thinking .357, 3 inch barrel or so. Found one local, no bids on it yet, so I drove down there this morning. I had a Kimber in the safe
    that I hadn't shot in a while, it wasn't really one of my favorite guns, so I took it along, you never know.... Anyways, I came back with these...

A Colt Detective Special, No wear or damage, original grips and one of my all time favorite guns. A DS was the 1st gun I ever shot as a kid and it's always
    been on the wish list.

A S&W 66-1 in stainless. It is stamped WHP, so it was a police gun at some point. As near as I can tell it has never been fired, absolutely NO blemishes, or
    indications of firing. Both guns came from the same estate. The cool part? On the trade in... I got both guns and enough money back for ammo for my next trip to the range.

I am looking for ideas on how to carry weak handed and eventually on the strong side also.
    Thanks for the time guys!
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Nice gun. I would have to say appendix carry.
    scout706 likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

The DS should do nicely in a pocket holster; mine is just the slightest bit snug in the Pocket Packer I use for the J frame.
    scout706 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks Smitty! Have you ever been to AJI Sports? they're in AJ. Really nice guys, easy to deal with....

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Nice gun. I would have to say appendix carry.
    Thank you. I'm afraid appendix is out, my gut is too big for that :(

When life gives you lemons.... Its hard to beat a trade like that, two guns are better than one. Nice guns too. Btw love your location. Lol

I'd go with cross-draw, myself, but you do what is comfortable for you. A revolver is a good choice for weak hand use.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

When I was weak hand only due to an injury, I went to a high capacity 9mm. I had to reload one handed also since I had a broken hand. What are your thoughts on ammo capacity?
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Links