Charter Arms Pink Lady .38 Special

This is a discussion on Charter Arms Pink Lady .38 Special within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Curious on any opinions on this gun. My wife and I are thinking about getting his/hers 38 specials. She wants the pink lady. She has ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Charter Arms Pink Lady .38 Special

Charter Arms Pink Lady .38 Special

Curious on any opinions on this gun. My wife and I are thinking about getting his/hers 38 specials. She wants the pink lady. She has never owned a gun and never shot a revolver. She has shot my xDM 40 but that's about it. So what's the opinions for personal carry and shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    There is no "one best gun for the wife" sort of solution.

I do see a lot of women who are attracted to the cute, pink little snubbies, and it worries me a little, since snubbies are generally for more advanced shooters, but are being marketed toward the entry-level.

They do make sense, in that they are much easier to conceal/carry and are simple in design and function.

I just know that it took a focused effort on my part to become proficient with a snubby, even after I had been shooting handguns for 40 years prior.

The best answer is always to try to rent one and try it out. She may be a natural with it, or she may shoot the ceiling with it. There's only one way to find out.

Wife shot one (her friends). She thought it was OK. But she thinks for new or smaller females it may have too much of a kick. It is a light weight revolver so there is not much you can do about it. Wouldn't go with +P ammo with it if your wife has problems with standard .38 loads.

She wasn't crazy about the pink either. Her fun gun is a Neos decked out in pink. But she did not like it for a carry gun, that is obviously just aesthetics.

The snub .38, and especially light weight snub .38s, are not beginner's guns. I personally am not impressed with the quality of the Charters I've been seeing lately, either.

My suggestion is to head to a rental range and let her try a variety of guns and pick what she likes the feel of and what she can shoot. You can always dress stuff up with pink grips or pink Duracoat or something for looks, but function and user friendliness is more important than looks.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Try it before you buy it is always a good thing. me I have a 38 in a Taurus and it is double action only (no hammer spur) and the trigger is very stiff (8-9 lbs) and gave it to my daughter to shoot and she didn't like the trigger and had a hard time keeping it on paper because the trigger was so stiff. Even though it is a short barrel the weight of the gun helps

S&W had a line out called lady smiths, not sure if it is still available but the grip and trigger length are a little shorter for woman with small hands. I call them simple-matics because you pull the trigger and soon or a later the gun will fire in case you hit a bad primer there is no clearing it

Thanks for the info. He can shoot my xDM 40 without much of a problem. At 5 yards she can keep all 16 rounds on target. I could be wrong but I would think xDM 40 would kick harder. But thanks for the info. If its not a beginner gun then I'll look around for a gun rental place.

I'm in Alaska so not sure if anything exist up here for that.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Snubbies do have a tendency to kick pretty hard. Smaller the gun the more recoil. I got my Lady a .380 Bersa Thunder,she has small hands and I reload a milder load for her,she Loves it!!.

Ok. I was jut thinking revolver overall would be a better option for her. Buy anyone disagree or a first time gun own for PP or stick with a revolver.

just for the record here is a 93 yo woman and at mark# 16 you can see she has a 38 special and didn't seem to have any trouble with it

BigJon10125 and Dandyone like this.

Put a rubber Houge grip on it, and tame the beast. They are really accurate little guns once you get to know them!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    There is no "one best gun for the wife" sort of solution.

I do see a lot of women who are attracted to the cute, pink little snubbies, and it worries me a little, since snubbies are generally for more advanced shooters, but are being marketed toward the entry-level.

They do make sense, in that they are much easier to conceal/carry and are simple in design and function.

I just know that it took a focused effort on my part to become proficient with a snubby, even after I had been shooting handguns for 40 years prior.

The best answer is always to try to rent one and try it out. She may be a natural with it, or she may shoot the ceiling with it. There's only one way to find out.
    I disagree about snubs being for advanced shooters. I started with a snub nose Smith and Wesson 642, and even took my carry class with it, running 175 rounds through it. Revolvers are easily safety checked to see if they are unloaded or loaded, have no external safeties, slides, of FTE's to worry about, they come in a million calibers to suit your need, are easily concealed in multiple different places, are very affordable to a new shooter, and can sit in a drawer for years and still work every time.

A prior girlfriend of mine learned how to shoot on a 38 snub nose revolver, and within ten minutes was shooting well. I think a revolver is a great choice for a new shooter, as well as an advanced shooter. You need to be proficient with whatever you decide to carry.

yes, the sight picture is unforgiving, there is alot of recoil, and it is not that accurate at 30 yards, but it will do the job up close and personal. Good luck with your choice. I am picking up my Charter Arms Bulldog 44 special later this week. Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Angry /\ What he said

The kick is not the only issue with a snubbie and may not be the biggest. Really depends on the shooter, but the short sight radius and short barrel makes distance and sight alignment an issue as well. I love my SW 442, and am wanting another J frame because of it. It is a great all around SD gun as are most J frames. Not a distance gun but if she can become proficient with it, her wanting one is a major step and hopefully that will inspire her to practice as well. Good luck.
    Last edited by BigJon10125; August 14th, 2012 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Bunker beat me to it!!!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

And thats even in CA! Good for her, glad she is near my area!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    just for the record here is a 93 yo woman and at mark# 16 you can see she has a 38 special and didn't seem to have any trouble with it

Nice! Granny is in my neck of the woods.
    BigJon

VIP Member
    The only way your going to know for sure if a .38 snubby fits her, is to let her shoot one. I agree with the others who have said the light weights are easy to carry, but not easy or fun to shoot. My wife has 2 snubbies, a Ruger Speed Six and a Taurus 85. While the Taurus is lighter in weight, she shoots the Ruger better.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links