Most powerful 357 round.

Most powerful 357 round.

This is a discussion on Most powerful 357 round. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; trying to determine the most powerful 357 round, also a good carry round for my 357. maybe a .38+p?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Most powerful 357 round.

Most powerful 357 round.

trying to determine the most powerful 357 round, also a good carry round for my 357. maybe a .38+p?

That depends, most powerful for hunting or for personal defense? The 357 Magnum is available with bullets weighing between 110 grains and 180 grains. The full house 125 GRN JHP is regarded as the best carry round in that caliber for self defense. The 357 magnum takes commitment and practice to master, the power does you no good if you do not hit. The 38 +P will give you 400-500 FPS less with the same bullet than the Magnum, it may be what you need in a lightweight gun or if you are a beginning shooter.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Federal 125 gr JHP.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    I agree with 40Bob. There is 357 hunting ammo in 180 grain GC jacketed soft point which is totally wrong for defensive use, unless you are being attacked by deer. the 125 grain hollow point from a good maker such as remington, federal, etc., is regarded as extremely effective in the defensive arena. these are very potent and extremely loud rounds.
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

The old 158 grain lead gas check bullet over the maximum listed charge weight of 2400 as appears in older Lyman manuals will give velocities in the low 1400s and 688 ft./lbs. with a revolver with a 6-inch barrel. This same powder charge can be worked up to with 158 grain jacketed bullets in a N-Frame Smith & Wesson revolver. The load is vey potent and would be a whippin' to shoot from a light-framed .357 Magnum revolver.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

"Powerful" is relative. Do you mean highest kinetic energy? highest velocity? Loudest? Heaviest? Highest level on penetration? I am going to go out on a limb here and assume you mean "Most damaging" which is really just another way of saying best "stopping power" in which case the answer is the one that connects with the vitals. Better yet, I would look at it from a standpoint of "Cumulative stopping power" which is my fancy way of saying anything worth shooting is worth shooting at least three times. So, three hits in the vitals with a 125g non plus p .38 special has a higher cumulative stopping power than 1 hit 1 with a 158g +P .357 in the vitals.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Yes, I meant the the most damaging. I was just wondering about a really damaging round.

Also this is for a 2" barrel, should i go with a higher grain to get more energy? Or should I go with a lighter grain to get more speed? I am currently carrying 38+p 110 grain.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rw121104 View Post
    Yes, I meant the the most damaging. I was just wondering about a really damaging round.

Also this is for a 2" barrel, should i go with a higher grain to get more energy? Or should I go with a lighter grain to get more speed? I am currently carrying 38+p 110 grain.

Thanks
    Pretty much all .357 rounds out of a pistol will produce roughly the same amount of penetration with the same temporary and permanent wound channels meaning that they are are roughly equal in terms of "damage". I personally think you should go with the one that you are able to get the fastest follow up shots with.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Here's an excellent article dealing with the difference between .38 Special and .357 Magnum in snub nosed revolvers:

http://www.snubnose.info/docs/38-snub_vs_357-snub.htm

At the end of the day, though, your best bet is the ammo that you can get on target in the most efficient fashion.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    bunker likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

The one being fired at me?
    dukalmighty and pgrass101 like this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Potent as in the amount of poop i would excrete In OPFOR's assessment
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thanks
    First off, I've been shooting centerfire pistols since I was seven-years-old. I've carried and fired them in the military and in LE. I've reloaded every caliber I own, tens of thousands of .38 Special and .357 Magnum rounds in almost every type of competition you can name, think of or imagine and I have one thing to say:

Ain't no way in hell you'd ever get me to carry, let alone shoot, a full-blown .357 Magnum round in a two-inch anything--especially if it's smaller than a K-frame. I have my beloved 2 1/2" Model 19 and I've fired exactly two cylinder fulls of our old agency issue Federal 125 grain JHP out of it. That was over twenty-five years ago and I still remember it like it was five minutes ago.

At the end of those twelve rounds, I was flinching so bad I was doing good to even hit the torso-sized target at 15 meters.

Carrying that potent of a round in a lightweight two-inch gun? No way.

Small guns with short barrels are for short-range/immediate range confrontations, at which distance the ballistic energy is just about at its max.

With that consideration, I'd load up with the old FBI .38 Special +P LSWCHP rounds and never think twice and not lose so much as a second of sleep wondering if that ammo would "get the job done."

JD
    Author of Above Reproach, the new thriller that unequivocally positions the Second Amendment and concealed carry as our nation's most effective system of homeland and personal security.

Any .357 round is going to be stout. I prefer 110 gr. JHP's for self-defense rounds. They're not loaded as hot as other 357's which helps with the recoil. From what I understand, 110's were a favorite among the Border Patrol and other LEO's before upgrading to semi-autos back in the 80's. If I'm in black bear country, give me 158 gr. FMJ's. Sometimes you want as much penetration as you can get.

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    I would suggest getting ammo created for short barrels such as the Gold Dot Short Barrel Personal Protection series. Power is not everything unless it works correctly. This ammo is not the most powerful but is designed to work correctly in short barrel firearms. I hope this helps. God Bless:smile

Detail Page for Part # 23917

Also this is for a 2" barrel, should I go with a higher grain to get more energy? Or should I go with a lighter grain to get more speed? I am currently carrying 38+p 110 grain.

Thanks

Here's a little tip for you regarding shooting lingo, for future reference. There are no "higher grains" or "lighter grains". A grain is a unit of measurement for mass, 7000 grains equaling a pound. One would no more say "what grain is that bullet" than one would say "what pound was that big black bass you caught last weekend" as both terms are standardized units of measurement.

Heavier bullet or lighter bullet will do fine unless one intends to directly describe the bullet by its weight such as: "110 grain bullet versus 158 grain bullet."

Regarding a preferred bullet weight: I personally prefer bullet weight over light bullets and more velocity but I'm old-fashioned. An assailant may be said to be having a bad day if fairly hit wit any expanding .357 Magnum factory load no matter the bullet weight.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links