Kimber Extractor Question...

This is a discussion on Kimber Extractor Question... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Kimber CDP Pro II & have been very pleased with it. I wanted a full size heavier gun to use just for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have a Kimber CDP Pro II & have been very pleased with it. I wanted a full size heavier gun to use just for practice. A local dealer got in a new shipment of Kimbers this week & I went to trade another brand that I never shoot on one.

I made the mistake of going without much time & ended up buying a Team Match II without really looking it over thoroughly. I went to a nearby place to shoot before dark & put 100 rounds thru it. It performed flawlessly. But, after I got home, I began looking closely & found that it's got an external extractor. That doesn't really bother me except that I've read so much negative about them on this forum.

After looking at the catalogue & website for that family of 1911's, none of them are shown with the external extractors. Is it possibly that this is an older model that the dealer ran across somewhere? Are the current models made with internal extractors?

Help me with answers, please. If this is going to be a problem gun, I want to get rid of it now!
    Rankin Arms Company
    www.rankinarms.com
    Wilson Combat Master Dealer
    Nighthawk Custom Preferred Dealer

"Life is tough...it's tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Kimber is supposed to be phaseing out the external extractors ... i would shoot the crap out of it and if it acts up send it to kimber remember you only have a 1 year warrenty ..

First, there is no way that is a "new" shipment of Kimbers with an external extractor. The only EE Kimber's are the KPD's.

The EE's in the 5" models have proven to be reliable, the problem has always been with the 4" and 3" models with the 3" being the one with the most overall problems with them.

If you shot 100 rounds through it without a hitch you are probably good to go as EE's either work or they don't, EE's have no adjustment so a problem will show up pretty quickly, I wouldn't worry about it in a 5". I would shoot it more to check it out and to make sure nothing changes and if it does, as Bud said, send it to Kimber they might just give you another slide with a IE if not fixed.

I would also contact your dealer and ask them why they told you they got a "new" Kimber shipment in. They could have bought some remaning EE models from Kimber at a deal but I think that's even a stretch. Saying "new" shipment is misleading.

Ti.
    Last edited by Ti Carry; September 22nd, 2006 at 10:35 PM.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Bud,

With all due respect, the extractor problems and replacement is not limited to the warranty period with Kimber.

I bought a used Tactical Ultra II with an external extractor at a gun show a while back. A serial number trace by Kimber showed the gun to be manufactured in 2003.

When I took it to the range, I had 7 FTF's and 3 FTE's in 150 rounds, also a couple of stovepipes. I called Dennis at Kimber, told him up front I had purchased the gun used and had no idea how many rounds had been put through it. When I described the problems, he advised me to send it in.

I had it back in two weeks with a new slide with internal extractor, a new barrel, new night sights, and everything inside polished up. The only cost to me was the shipping to Kimber by FedEx, Kimber even paid for the return trip.

On discussion boards related to Kimber, other owners have recently experienced the same good service, slide replacement and quick turn around times.

Some folks never have a problem with the external extractors, but for those that do, my personal experience is that Kimber will stand behind their product.

On my most recent trip to the range, there were zero problems in 200 rounds of various brands of ammo and magazines. I was really trying to test the repair job ( along with different types of ammo and various brand magazines) .... I am completely satisfied !

well that is good to know they will fix it if its out of warrenty as they should since it has had so many problems

i can see why there doing it becuse they were taking such a beating no one wanted to buy a external extractor i know i sure wouldnt but thats me .

I think all the team match II pistols have an external extractor. I don't think it was anything like selling old stock as new shipments.

The Team Match and Stainless TLE still use the external extractor. They are the only two Kimbers that still do. I actually believe IIRC the Team Match uses a beefier version of the external extractor than the other kimbers used to have. Dont worry at all. Your gun will be fine. Problem external extractors have problems right off the bat. I bet you will put thousands of trouble free rounds through that gun. The Team Match is one of the finest kimbers available. I bet it shoots like a dream. Stop worrying and savor the sweet new Kimber
    As for Kimber and a warranty period ther is none. They say a year but if you own a Kimber and have a problem they will fix it. Regardless of the guns age or if you are the original owner. They really do stand behind their stuff. That is if it's all stock of course.

I'm not certain of your model but my 5" custom carry 2 had an external extractor and it did have problems so yes the problem does affect the 5" models.

In defense of Kimber, they did replace the slide and polish everything up within 2 weeks as stated in a previous post and I've put several hundred rounds through it in the week or so since it's return and it has been flawless.
    It now works as it should have out of the box and it did not cost me a dime as I bought it at Cabella's and they paid the shipping.

Now that it does work properly it is a great gun.

As said earlier the team Matches are external extractor guns. I have never heard of one that didn't work. Kimber will not put an internal extractor on a Team Match as they don't make any Team Match slides with internal extractors.

Look's like your right about the Team Match as I don't pay much attention to that model. I assumed it was 1911 wide with the internals now.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
    With all due respect, the extractor problems and replacement is not limited to the warranty period with Kimber...
    .... I am completely satisfied !
    good info, thanks Dave.
    I have a Kimber Ultra CDPII with an external extractor. No significant problems, though a few FTFs - with approximately 300 rounds through it.
    My next range trip, I'll put another 300 rounds through it and make note of any problems. I feel a lot better knowing that Kimber will replace the slide, etc.

I have an Eclipse 5" Target. It has their tactical extracter. All I can say is that it has been flawless with over 5000 rounds downrange. In fact at matches those who reload hate it since it throws brass into the bern.

If you feel uncomfortable with the extrnal extractor, then contact Kimber and they'll replace it with an internal design. Several people, who worked at Kimer (who now work for Sigarms) say that Kimber WILL replace your slide and fit it to your frame........for free..Kimber wants to stay on top of their extractor issues
    I have a Pro CDP with internal extrator, that performs flawlessly......
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I'm only going to say it one more time. Team Matches have external extractors. Kimber will not put an internal extractor slide on a Team Match beacuse they don't make an internal extractor slide for a Team Match. The guns run beautifully with the external extractor and his has been flawless. Dont worry about it. Kimber will replace slides when problems are encountered they will not replace them because you simply dont want the external extractor. If you don't believe me give Dennis a call and tell him you have a Kimber with an external extractor that runs perfectly but you want him to change it to an internal extractor because you like it better. See what his response is.

More on the Extractor...

Thanks to you all for the info on the extractor ???.

I spent some time on the Kimber website & looked thru their entire catalogue. I assume it's current as I picked it up when I traded for the Team Match II on Friday.

I didn't find one single photo of a 1911 with an external extractor on the website or in their catalogue. Of course, some of the photos are taken of the side that wouldn't show it. All of the photos of the Team Match II are from the "wrong" side.

I'm going to call Kimber in the a.m. & inquire about it. I suspect that this dealer bought a batch of guns from another dealer who needed to move them at a discount. One reason I say that is because there was no fired case in the box (apparently law in some states) & there normally is one with the guns I buy here.

I certainly don't blame this dealer...he's a friend of mine. I have an FFL myself & am a dealer for a top quality & expensive line of shotguns as well as several other gun related products & clay target traps. I use him when buying guns where a trade is involved. Actually, he lilely wouldn't know that some of their guns have/had different types of extractors.

Hopefully, I'll know all the details in the morning.
    Rankin Arms Company
    www.rankinarms.com
    Wilson Combat Master Dealer
    Nighthawk Custom Preferred Dealer

"Life is tough...it's tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links