Glock 19: Other considerations?

This is a discussion on Glock 19: Other considerations? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guys.. i'm openly admitting that I'm being a little lazy here. I know that the Glock (pick your model) vs (pick any other gun) conversation ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Glock 19: Other considerations?

Glock 19: Other considerations?

Guys.. i'm openly admitting that I'm being a little lazy here. I know that the Glock (pick your model) vs (pick any other gun) conversation has been done over and over again.

I'm looking to buy my next purchase and I'm 99% sure it's a Glock 19. I've wanted one for a long time, and it fits the purpose that I have a need for. If that makes any sense.

What I like about the Glock is the size. I'm very analytical about this. I have a M&P9 Full Size and I have a shield. I'm looking for the in between. And I don't like the M&P9c.

The G19 is 5" in height and has a 4" barrel and weighs 20oz.

Any other guns you can think of that match those same dimensions that I should look at before "pulling the trigger". :)

I appreciate all input. I know could have done a search, but a search of "Glock 19 vs...." gives you the phone book in replies.

Thanks
    ...because you never know when the king of England might come looking for back taxes.

- Richard L. Johnson

2. Remove Ads

The one thing that so many "experts" omit when arguing, cussing and discussing which gun/make/model/caliber is best is that they're not buying it for themselves but normally offering what THEY think will be best for SOMEONE ELSE.

In my old LE job with the feds way way back when, we were issued the usual S&W 64 and then told to go buy whatever we wanted so long as it was a double-action (ie Sig, Beretta, S&W, Glock, etc) and of a suitable caliber.

The rookies and novices to guns would ultimately ask us gun-vets and military vets "which gun should I. . ."

The BEST advice I ever heard was from a Vietnam era Green Beret who'd been a weapons sergeant. His response was simple: Buy the gun your gut tells you that you LIKE and WANT the most. Because if you have any misgivings whatsoever, that's not the gun you want to trust your life to."

Brilliant.

You're settled in on the Glock 19 which is a proven superb firearm. Go buy it, get familiar with it, shoot it, practice then practice some more then go forth and wonder no more.

JD
    Author of Above Reproach, the new thriller that unequivocally positions the Second Amendment and concealed carry as our nation's most effective system of homeland and personal security.

Quote Originally Posted by JDKinman View Post
    The one thing that so many "experts" omit when arguing, cussing and discussing which gun/make/model/caliber is best is that they're not buying it for themselves but normally offering what THEY think will be best for SOMEONE ELSE.

In my old LE job with the feds way way back when, we were issued the usual S&W 64 and then told to go buy whatever we wanted so long as it was a double-action (ie Sig, Beretta, S&W, Glock, etc) and of a suitable caliber.

The rookies and novices to guns would ultimately ask us gun-vets and military vets "which gun should I. . ."

The BEST advice I ever heard was from a Vietnam era Green Beret who'd been a weapons sergeant. His response was simple: Buy the gun your gut tells you that you LIKE and WANT the most. Because if you have any misgivings whatsoever, that's not the gun you want to trust your life to."

Brilliant.

You're settled in on the Glock 19 which is a proven superb firearm. Go buy it, get familiar with it, shoot it, practice then practice some more then go forth and wonder no more.

JD
    You know what...

That's a great answer.

Thanks
    ...because you never know when the king of England might come looking for back taxes.

- Richard L. Johnson

The Glock-19 is an 'all-round' winner...no need to compare it with anything else.
    If you already appreciate its simplicity and dependability...look no more!OMOYMV
    MinistrMalic and JerryMac like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I own many handguns, and can think of at least one thing I do not like about each one of them: too heavy, bad trigger reset, long trigger pull, too wide, too much recoil, too bulky to carry, too small, etc, with the exception of the Glock 19. There is nothing I do not like about it.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Sounds like you have already go some great advice, and sounds like you already know what you want.....just get off the computer, n go buy your Glock, plenty of ammo....and get familiar with it, you should have been asking about holsters as you already know the gun your getting....
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Hijacking this thread only a little bit, I'm buying a Glock 19 this afternoon. I've shot the gun a few times, and I think it's wonderful. But for those of you that have one and carry it, how do you carry it? My S&W model 59 has a thumb safety as does my LC9. My LCP and revolvers have long trigger pulls. The Glock has no external safety and a relatively short pull. Are you comfortable carrying it with one in the chamber? I agree that in a defensive situation, if you think you'll always have time to rack the slide, you're kidding yourself.
    Sorry for the hijack, but maybe the OP would like to know this as well.

VIP Member
    Here is how I carry mine:
    The Brommeland Max-Con V, (arguably) The Best IWB Holster On The Planet - YouTube
    Yes, with one in the chamber
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

To the OP, I cant add anything that has not been said. Buy the G19 if that is what your hand, head and heart tell you to do.

Skidboot, I carry in a crossbreed with one in the pipe. There are two external safeties on a Glock. The first is your finger and the second is the split trigger. I also carry OWB in a pancake holster.

Here is a link to how the Glock operates. Notice the striker does not go to full draw until the trigger is pulled. Hope this helps you over the hump.

Genitron.com: Basics-Interactive Illustrated Glock Pistol

My first Glock was a Gen 4 G 19. I've shot over 700 rounds with it and no issues. I use a Holsterpro OWB 722 and it works well.

I have no regrets with my G 19
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

I bought one when I had an injury to my strong side hand and I was unable to shoot and reload my 1911 well. I kept it even after I was healed up. When my wife broke her elbow she adopted it for her weak hand use.

It is a perfect balance of size, capacity, handling, and shootability, and I I had my way, one would be issued to every law abiding citizen in the country.

Totally acceptable to carry it loaded. If you're having trouble working with it, spend some money on a good shooting class and you'll see (and get much more proficient as well)
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

CJM
    The Glock 19 is imho, the best gun in their lineup. Small enough for anyone to carry concealed, carries plenty of ammo on board in a suitable self defense caliber, and big enough to fight with if need be. If the grip angle works for you and you don't have big meaty hands like I do and get horrendous slide bite when shooting Glocks, a Glock 19 would be a good choice.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I have a late Gen 3 G19 that is awesome. I carry it in a Galco King Tuck IWB and it's secure and comfortable. Of course carry it ready to fire; it's not going anywhere. For me, I prefer Glocks with 3-dot sights (I put trijicon's on mine...YMMV) and a Ghost Ultimate 3.5-lb trigger connector to make follow-up shots better. With that setup it's darn near perfect for me, though of course you have to decide what works best for you. Enjoy your 19!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

The G19 is (IMHO) the MVP of GLOCK's All Star lineup. Small enough to conceal easily but big enough to shoot effectively. High magazine capacity in an capable SD caliber. I'm fortunate enough to have dozens of EDC options, some of which are expensive, high-end handguns. Over 90% of the time I carry a G19. Defensive handgun choice is a complex series of necessary compromises. The G19 is the simplest answer. GLOCK bashers are generally folks who repeat what they've heard rather than folks who find-out for themselves. I should know 'cause I once was a very convincing & well-opinionated GLOCK hater. I was simply...wrong.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    'Well said, ghost tracker. I also have much nicer BBQ guns that I sometimes carry, but the G19 still goes out the door with me more than any other.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links