Called Smith and Wesson about Shield availability

This is a discussion on Called Smith and Wesson about Shield availability within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One of my good friends works in a gun store. He was told that Smith and Wesson is focusing all manufacturing on AR-15's and other ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Called Smith and Wesson about Shield availability

One of my good friends works in a gun store. He was told that Smith and Wesson is focusing all manufacturing on AR-15's and other similar guns that may face a ban. Shields have been put on the back burner.
    Lifetime NRA member

2. Remove Ads

My LGS here in SE Michigan told me that the Shield is produced concurrently with the AR-15. He also stated they average 40 Shields per shipment. I was 38th when I got on the current waiting list. The SHOT show may lengthen the wait however.
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

Last week, I was in a LGS when they game in, but I did not know what had came in until all of the 9's had sold out. It was their first shipment for quite a while.

If anyone has a lead on a 9, please PM me.

Put 20% down to hold a Shield in 9mm today. LGS guy told me 6-8mo wait he also said they're focusing production on AR15s. Who knows...maybe my suppressor stamps will beat my Shield lol.
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

seen a few for sale on armslist in my area..... i am actually waiting to hear back from a seller for shield with 3 mags. I have spoke to him on the phone but I have not heard from him in several days.

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MJClark View Post
    Last week, I was in a LGS when they game in, but I did not know what had came in until all of the 9's had sold out. It was their first shipment for quite a while.

If anyone has a lead on a 9, please PM me.
    They've got a boatload on GunBroker.com. Prices are close to outrageous, but you can get them.

I live in Iowa and had a guy on another forum give me a tip on who had them. So I called and sure enough the guy was like yeah I got 8 sitting on my shelf. I said, fluke? He said no we ALWAYS have them. Here's the info:

Call:
    Shoot Straight in Caselberry, Florida
    I got the 40 cal an paid $449 + $10 shipping. Had it in a week. Yes some guys are paying less, but I got it for MSRP and I'm happy with it. I love my gun and wouldn't trade for anything. You can wait a lifetime on a list, just call out of state and ship one to your LGS. I googled Shoot Straight and got their number and it was a smooth transaction. I thought maybe old stock but mine was produced in November and I got it in January. So that's pretty fresh. Shoots like a dream and the safety everyone hates is nothing. I actually like the safety. I also think it shoots better than my brothers PPS, though I dislike the Walther trigger guard mag release. But that's just me. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the heads up, will be calling bright and early!!

I was on the Shield waiting list at a LGS last year for one in 9mm after only holding a blue gun version, put 20% down and all. By coincidence, I ended up shooting a 9mm Shield at the range about 2 weeks later. It's a nice gun, but was a LOT heavier than I expected and the grip felt ok but not great. I ended up cancelling my order on the Shield and buying a 9c from the same LGS, they rolled my deposit into that (not like they weren't going to sell the Shield the ordered for me!). The Shield is a bit thinner and lighter than the compact, but I felt that the larger mag capacity and the ability to potentially use mags as large as 27 rounds versus 8 was worth the 2oz. If/When I need an ultra light small gun I'll carry my PF9.

On a side note, last week S&W sent me a finger grip base pad for free. Nice of them to do that, but I have purchased over $1100 of their products in the last year, now i just wish I could find more mags actually in stock for a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by lamerem View Post
    I live in Iowa and had a guy on another forum give me a tip on who had them. So I called and sure enough the guy was like yeah I got 8 sitting on my shelf. I said, fluke? He said no we ALWAYS have them. Here's the info:

Call:
    Shoot Straight in Caselberry, Florida
    I got the 40 cal an paid $449 + $10 shipping. Had it in a week. Yes some guys are paying less, but I got it for MSRP and I'm happy with it. I love my gun and wouldn't trade for anything. You can wait a lifetime on a list, just call out of state and ship one to your LGS. I googled Shoot Straight and got their number and it was a smooth transaction. I thought maybe old stock but mine was produced in November and I got it in January. So that's pretty fresh. Shoots like a dream and the safety everyone hates is nothing. I actually like the safety. I also think it shoots better than my brothers PPS, though I dislike the Walther trigger guard mag release. But that's just me. Your mileage may vary.
    You da man! 9mm is on its way to me in OH!
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    The number being produced per day has nothing to do with the number of orders released by the distributors to the gun shops. The distributor can do as some did with the Kel Tec KSG and sold them thru Gun Broker to the highest bidder. The majority of the Shields on line are not privately owned but are being sold by a distributor or a gun shop. Why sell at or below the $449 MSRP when you can put it on Gun Broker and possibly get $675 or more as is the case of one Panama City Fl. Gun dealer.

Guys we are being ripped off by our own LGS as many did in the past and will continue to do same now and in the future. There was a large number of gun stores in my area prior to 2009 and a few went out of business after the 2009 buying frenzy and I also see that some that just hung on until now will do the same because of their loss of return business based on their product pricing.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
    You da man! 9mm is on its way to me in OH!
    Awesome!!! You won't be sorry. Your the 3rd guy I've been able to help and it puts a smile on my face to see another 2nd amendment brother purchase a new weapon at a reasonable price. Update us when you get it.

A man in a local Ace Hardware,said they can't keep the compact m&ps on the shelf..S&W is probably trying to make them as fast as they can.They probably want to sell them,as much as people want to buy them,im guessing.

So here's the deal!!!!! I was in with my LGS whom I've befriended and was talking about price gouging. He said it upsets him when people use terms like price gouging when it should be supply and demand. He said when the demand grows they can't get anything, nothing at all. So therefor they have to boost the price to be able to keep their doors open between shipments. He says he hates doing it, but also said I'm not going to let some mass shooter and idiots on Capitol Hill put me out of business. So he is forced to charge considerably more. He said the downside of that is places like buds and distributors see that these are selling at this ridiculously higher prices and jump on board. He buds sells thousands of guns a week where a LGS might only move 10-30 depending on seasons.

So lets do everything we can to show love and solidarity to our LGS's there the ones that are really hurting. He also said he took and order for a guy and the distributor said maybe 1-5 months. I feel bad for him. But I buy about $100 a week in ammo from him and will start purchasing reloading supplies there too.

Bottom line people think their gouging, when really their in a struggle to survive this dry spell. By the way my guy has been taking money out on his house to pay people rather than lay them off. Stand up gentleman if you ask me. Just think twice when you scald a little guy for his prices.

My LGS had one on the shelf. I mentioned it to him and he said they got like 30 of them in and have gone through 18 or so of them. They only put out one at a time.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links