Kimber Custom TLE/RL- wow! IF you're a Kimber fan, you'll love this! Well like maybe?

This is a discussion on Kimber Custom TLE/RL- wow! IF you're a Kimber fan, you'll love this! Well like maybe? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I almost didn't post this, but after thinking about it for a day or two, I decided I should. Be warned, if you're a Kimber ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rollo

Thread: Kimber Custom TLE/RL- wow! IF you're a Kimber fan, you'll love this! Well like maybe?

Senior Moderator

Kimber Custom TLE/RL- wow! IF you're a Kimber fan, you'll love this! Well like maybe?

I almost didn't post this, but after thinking about it for a day or two, I decided I should. Be warned, if you're a Kimber fan, this will probably make you even more of one. I can attest to that.

I went from no Kimbers to my current arsenal of 6, yep 6 Kimbers! It all started a while back when a range buddy handed me a Kimber Ultra and mag of ammo. You don't have to ask me twice! I shot it and loved it. Part of that was because it was a 1911 and I hadn't shot one in a while; I have several, just haven't been carrying or shooting them. The other part was it was a nice looking gun and it was a Kimber. I knew right then I had to have one. I started with a Kimber Pro Carry. Then four Kimbers later (still have them all) I wind up with the TLE/RL as the sixth Kimber.

BTW, Kimber makes a Custom Shop built 1911, forget the name at the moment - it is guaranteed to shoot a 1" group at 25 yards!!!! A one inch group - guaranteed!!!

Actually, I went to buy a Kimber Desert Warrior; just a little weary of black. Well, I had the form filled out and picked up the Warrior one more time. Hmmm, I suddenly noticed how slick the front strap felt - no checkering! Why would Kimber not put checkering on this model?

Well, that was a deal breaker, but there was this other Kimber with a rail - the Kimber Custom TLE/RL and it did have checkering on the front strap. It also has another feature I strongly prefer - front cocking serrations. That's the model the LA SWAT chose as their duty weapon as a result of their testing about 9 years ago.

The TLE is rather plain as 1911s go. It doesn't have the ambi safety, I kinda like the ambi safety, nothing aesthetically significant about it like the Warrior model; it even has rubber grips. So what to do? It turned out to be pretty simple, either go with the TLE/RL or go without - this is the only game in town, or out of town for that matter, so I went for it.

I began shooting 230 gn ammo per Kimber's instruction in the owner's manual, but I couldn't resist running a box of 185 gn rounds through it. All 50 of the 185 gns did fine save one and it failed to feed completely. But that was within the first 200 rounds and I really wasn't supposed to be using that yet - I couldn't resist though.

I now have 400 rounds through it, 350 230 gn rounds and 50 185 gn rounds. Never had a problem with the 230 gn rounds.

Oh, I shot 300 of the 400 rounds with four stock Kimber magazines; you know the black ones that are supposed to be trash? Well, not mine, they have yet to give me a problem.

There is one thing I'm not really happy about. The cross slots on the rail are wider than most. Of course, me being a big Kimber fan, that to me means that Kimber got it right and all the others got it wrong! Anyway, my Surefire X200 doesn't fit the cross slots right so it can move back and forth a bit. So I call Surefire and they said "No problem, we'll send you the cross bolt for the Kimber." I asked how much and it's free; I don't even have to pay for the shipping. I'm happy now .

But shooting - what about shooting it! Well I've already mentioned 100% reliability with Kimber stock mags with 230 gn rounds. In shooting the first 400 rounds, the slide had to lock back about 88 times due to the drills I shoot. it never failed, not once to lock open on the last round nor prematurely.

What about accuracy? I don't know what to say - I just don't think words make it. Here's the pics from my shoot today. These are 4 shots at 15 yards on clean targets, shot off-hand. I'm just going to leave it up to you to eval the TLE/RL's accuracy. The first target:

That's two shots touching just to the right of the X, and two shots touching at about the 2:00 position on the orange dot. Well, we have to admit that every now and then we have one of those 'once in a life time shoots' and maybe that's what this first target represents. At least that's the way I figured it so I shot a second clean target 4 shots at 15 yards and got this - not as good, but still it's a 1-3/8" group not counting my single misfire.

One more try with a different target - 4 shots on a three inch ShootnC at 15 yards, kind of dark on dark, but let's see what happens:

Well, I pushed one again, really bad this time, but that's me, not the gun; but look where the other three went. It's kind of hard to tell what's going on here, because one shot produced a tear just to the left of the red dot. That's a group of three just above and to the left of the red dot!!! That's a 0.75" group!!!

I will take some credit for this; and I won't be so naive to credit the Kimber with all of this. I'll just say it honestly and plainly: out of all the guns I've shot, including a custom built 1911 by Gunsite's Ted Yost, I've never done this before with any gun. And to have such success once is one thing, but to get the same results three times in a row is something else.

And I might as well put in a kudos for Kimber CS. First, the Sig experience: I had a brand new Sig P229R that was shooting 2 inches high (or low, I don't remember which now), so I called Sig. I was instructed to remove the slide and send them the barrel, recoil spring and slide and they would fix it. Of course I had to pay for shipping it to them.

Now a comparative experience with Kimber: My brand new Kimber Super Carry Custom HD was shooting about 2 inches low (or high, again I don't remember which, but it doesn't matter) so I called Kimber. CS immediately took down the particulars, emailed me a UPS shipping label and instructed me to ship the entire gun to them and they would fix the problem. I did, they did, and they fixed it just right - it's now dead on. Didn't cost me a cent.

Don't you know, I believe in Kimber!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

That is some nice shooting!

I own one kimber and am in the process of expanding my collection as well. Any recommendations on a 3" model? Nice shooting by the way.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bgusty View Post
    I own one kimber and am in the process of expanding my collection as well. Any recommendations on a 3" model? Nice shooting by the way.
    My pick in a 3", although they're all good, is the Ultra + - a 3" barrel with a full size grip. I don't have one and haven't shot one, but that's the one I like.

That version may be a little big (grip that is) for your purposes, if so, I think you would be well pleased with any of the Ultra models. In a true 3", i.e. shorter grip models, I kind of like the 'HD' models because of the steel frame which would reduce recoil a bit, but I have shot an aluminum frame Ultra and I didn't think it's recoil was all that pronounced. It depends on whether you would prefer light carry weight or reduced recoil with the steel frame.

BTW, the Super series has an Ultra + in the lineup and it has the full grip with that rounded butt.

I got a chance to hold that super carry ultra + the other day... I really like it, but that gun is going to take a lot of penny saving. Thanks for the input though Tangle!
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bgusty View Post
    I got a chance to hold that super carry ultra + the other day... I really like it, but that gun is going to take a lot of penny saving. Thanks for the input though Tangle!
    Penny saving toward a goal, especially a goal of a Kimber Super Carry Ultra + is a good thing - and will be very rewarding when the time comes!

Good shooting Tangle! And that's a darn fine shooting iron.

I have an appointment in the morning to give some private instruction, so I am going to see what the Colt Gov model will do at 15 yards. I think it will be interesting. But, whatever, there ain't no flies on the way that Kimber shoots!
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I have an appointment in the morning to give some private instruction,
    That's Gman's "group therapy" session!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Moderator
    Good shooting Tangle! And that's a darn fine shooting iron.
    Thanks!

...I am going to see what the Colt Gov model will do at 15 yards. I think it will be interesting. But, whatever, there ain't no flies on the way that Kimber shoots!
    I doubt there will be any flies around the Colt either - at least not while it's in your hands!

Wishing you good shootin' tomorrow! Let me know!

I'm going again tomorrow too; want to get 500 rounds through it and then start with the 185 gn rounds - those are just so fun to shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Thanks!

I doubt there will be any flies around the Colt either - at least not while it's in your hands!

Wishing you good shootin' tomorrow! Let me know!

I'm going again tomorrow too; want to get 500 rounds through it and then start with the 185 gn rounds - those are just so fun to shoot!
    I'll post pics tomorrow, even ifs its not so good I am going to use some handloads I worked up last night that I have some reservations about, but we will see. I had some issues with the crimp on this particular style, and just hope they feed properly.

I looked at a Kimber at the LGS, and it was a Commander style. It seemed well made. I have heard nothing but good things about them. If the way they make their 84 rifle is an indicator of the 1911 quality, then they are an A+ gun for sure.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I think this has less to do with the gun and more to do with the shooter. Like I've said in the past, I think tangle is kind of on a "different level" when it comes to shooting. I'd be afraid to be on the reviving end of ANYTHING he was on the trigger end of.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Links