SP101 question......

This is a discussion on SP101 question...... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm on the lookout for a SP101, previously enjoyed and probably in 2.25" and I would prefer a hammer model. My question is this. If ...

Thread: SP101 question......

SP101 question......

I'm on the lookout for a SP101, previously enjoyed and probably in 2.25" and I would prefer a hammer model. My question is this.
    If I were to buy a bobbed hammer model, which is listed as DAO, would I be able to install a standard hammer and have SA capabilty? Or is the DAO model different inside?

And by all means feel free to post pics!

If it makes a difference, .357mag! Yes I reload and have already bought dies, powders, primers etc.
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

2. Remove Ads

I have the Ruger SP101 da revolver in 357mag with the bobbed hammer. Sorry, but the revolver can't be cocked and shot in single action mode.....there is no single action in that revolver.

RugerForum.com • View topic - Ruger SP101"bobbed hammer" - apparently you'd have to do some fitting and some extensive searching for the hammer

Thanks guys, the ruger link was pretty good as well. I guess I'll make sure to find a SA/DA model and then maybe a DAO model so that I can have both!

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    My LGS has a used one priced at $425. They can/will usually deal on used that are not consigned. Mine is DAO.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I think the trigger assembly also has something to do with it also, you might have to change that as well. the cost however... you might as well look for the model you want.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Quote Originally Posted by airslot View Post
    My LGS has a used one priced at $425. They can/will usually deal on used that are not consigned. Mine is DAO.
    Can you PM me the LGS? I live in N.Ga.

The DA/SA-DAO function of the SP101 is ALL in the hammer, all other internal parts are identical between the spurless & spurred models. If the hammer HAS a spur, then it also has a SA notch. The spurless hammer doesn't have a SA notch for safety reasons (it slips too easily if you try to manually de-cock). BTW, if you want to smooth the action of an SP101, just polish the inside of the plunger tube. Have Fun!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    The DA/SA-DAO function of the SP101 is ALL in the hammer, all other internal parts are identical between the spurless & spurred models. If the hammer HAS a spur, then it also has a SA notch. The spurless hammer doesn't have a SA notch for safety reasons (it slips too easily if you try to manually de-cock). BTW, if you want to smooth the action of an SP101, just polish the inside of the plunger tube. Have Fun!
    Yep, what he said.

Links