Has anyone standarized on caliber?

This is a discussion on Has anyone standarized on caliber? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So Glockman10mm posted a while back that he is standardizing his gun collection to 1911's and I got to thinking, anyone here ever standardized on ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Has anyone standarized on caliber?

Has anyone standarized on caliber?

So Glockman10mm posted a while back that he is standardizing his gun collection to 1911's and I got to thinking, anyone here ever standardized on caliber?

OK I know variety is the spice of life, but lets look at this from a prepping pont of view, only having to hoard 1 caliber of ammo is kinda easier. So my chosen caliber is 9mm...I have 3 pistols in 9mm and I want a subgun in 9mm. It's the big enough yet small enough round, it's cheap to hoard...but worry not I'm not planning on giving up my RRA AR-15 or my .45. I just want to amass more 9mm than anything else by a large margine. Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Probably a wise idea in actuality.
    Ranger45 likes this.

I did 9mm too. Although I still kept my XDm .45. It might come in handy some day. Ditched 40 completely.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Probably a wise idea in actuality.
    Thanks!

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I've standardized to 9mm

Carry guns

G19 and LC9 wife carries a xd9mm compact

Rarely a 92F/S sub for the G19

UZI full auto
    Keltec sub 2000 takes Glock mags 9mm

SBR 5.56
    SPR 5.56
    SCAR 5.56
    Rem 700 223

.22 MP 15
    12 gauge
    Guns to screw around with

M1A .308
    Caspian 1911
    Glock 35 with a 9mm barrel as backup
    M1 30.06

I got rid of 20 random rifles and 15 pistols to buy good guns, good optics and most important top notch reloading equipment.

About 5 years ago I had over 50 guns but couldn't afford ammo to shoot them now I shoot almost every day.
    After reading tis I'm depressed realizing how many guns I got rid of.

I gave away to family members a sig 220, 225, 228, glock 19 m1a scout, 870, and 3 AR 15s

Sold about 4 ask, sig 220 s/a, 229 in 357, 3 glock 27s , 4 glock 17s, 2 g23s, xd service, 3 g 22s, 2 g34, multiple 22.s, 270 rifle. Dang I know I'm forgetting some.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    I've standardized to 9mm

Carry guns

G19 and LC9 wife carries a xd9mm compact

Rarely a 92F/S sub for the G19

UZI full auto
    Keltec sub 2000 takes Glock mags 9mm

SBR 5.56
    SPR 5.56
    SCAR 5.56
    Rem 700 223

.22 MP 15
    12 gauge
    Guns to screw around with

M1A .308
    Caspian 1911
    Glock 35 with a 9mm barrel as backup
    M1 30.06

I got rid of 20 random rifles and 15 pistols to buy good guns, good optics and most important top notch reloading equipment.

About 5 years ago I had over 50 guns but couldn't afford ammo to shoot them now I shoot almost every day.
    I was actually thinking about the Sub 2000, how do you like it?

crap I forgot about giving away the win94ae 357. Mag, and win model m88 in 308 that was pretty stupid althogh those are still in the family, a FEG 9
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

I am still keeping my 44spl, 357, 38's, and 2 9mm pistols.

But what I am really doing is just narrowing down my main two carry options to a 1911 or 38 snubby.
    I still have many, many firearms, but the only thing I don't reload for is my SHTF guns which consist of 3 AR's, 5 sks rifles, and 2 9mm pistols.

The SHTF guns are the ones I don't reload for, so I keep an ample supply of ammo stashed for them and never shoot them, just keep them stored or hidden in strategic locations, ( I have 2 sks rifles buried in key locations within a 50 mile radius with 400 rounds of ammo).

These SHTF guns are never used much, if ever.

But my other guns get use, and I reload for them quite often. As a matter of fact, I just left the reloading bench making a fresh batch of 44 spl, 44 mag, 270 Win, 348 Win, and 45 acp for this weekend.

So all I have really done is narrow down my go to edc battery.

But I could never be happy with just one caliber.

Now if I could just find those 405 Winchester dies......
    gasmitty, JerryMac and OD* like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    I was actually thinking about the Sub 2000, how do you like it?
    I like it a lot I use it as my get home rifle, I carry it on my bicycle when I go to work its pretty cool

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post

But what I am really doing is just narrowing down my main two carry options to a 1911 or 38 snubby.
    I still have many, many firearms, but the only thing I don't reload for is my SHTF guns which consist of 3 AR's, 5 sks rifles, and 2 9mm pistols.

The SHTF guns are the ones I don't reload for, so I keep an ample supply of ammo stashed for them and never shoot them, just keep them stored or hidden in strategic locations, ( I have 2 sks rifles buried in key locations within a 50 mile radius with 400 rounds of ammo).

But my other guns get use, and I reload for them quite often. As a matter of fact, I just left the reloading bench making a fresh batch of 44 spl, 44 mag, 270 Win, 348 Win, and 45 acp for this weekend.

Thanks forgot about my 4 inch python, 2 .38 SWs, 2 10mm deltas one still had the tag on it, smith 610. Yes I went through a big 10 phase. Ooh crap my magna ported G29......... Man I miss that G29....

I think I'm gonna cry no seriously miss those 10s....

Forgot about the hk TAC, USP. 40 2 SA loadeds and 1911 manufactured in wwi

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post

Oh I understand...I was just thinking what if something happens and you need to be light weight for travel. We get hurricanes down here so there's an example but substitute anything from natural disaster up to and including TEOTWAWKI. If I had a Sub 2000, my carry gun, my wifes carry gun and a backup, it's very handy that they all are chambered in the same caliber. Further the caliber can be handled by everyone in the family and can be found litterally every where. As the Nato side arm standard caliber, I would be willing to bet alot of money that more 9mm gets made than any other handgun caliber.

Think of as the extension of the late 1890's philosiphy of having your long gun and pistols in the same caliber so you only have to carry 1 type. I'm still going to keep alot of 5.56 around, but I can afford 2 or 3 9mm rounds for the cost of every 5.56.

I'm fed up with "standardization" moves in my company, so I shun such things in my personal life. I need more than one size of screwdriver and more than one size of wrench to take care of the cars, and settling on one caliber for defensive use is not a priority for me.

I'm also not prone to taking on new calibers (requiring new ammo and support equipment) just for the sake of diversity.

My armory spans something like 15 calibers/gauges today, but I do have my favorites, which results in greater gun and ammo inventory in just a few calibers. For example, in defensive handguns, I could easily get by with just .45 ACP and .38/.357. For rifles, if I had to thin out the herd I'd drop the European milsurp calibers and just hang onto 5.56/.223 and .30-06. But I thoroughly enjoy my Swiss K-31 carbines and my Marlin .30-30. And .22 has a solid place in the short and long gun inventory.

I have different uses for different guns, although I have plenty of redundancy in several categories (e.g., several .38s and .45s). Firearms are great recreational implements for me as well as important tools, and I just don't see a need at this time to narrow down my available selection.
    glockman10mm, troutkiller and OD* like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The idea never crossed my mind. I don't want a caliber for all occasions; I want guns for all occasions.
    tacman605 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

For me, standardizing on caliber would be like standardizing my BBQ down to just one specific meat.

Can't have that. I want my ribs, my brisket, my smoked chicken, sausage, turkey legs, my smoked salmon and trout, etc.

I cast bullets and reload for every single caliber I own (exception .22LR). Should a bad situation occur, I have a multitude of tools (calibers and configurations) to best approach the solution. Likewise, the multiple calibers gives me barter opportunities, and should I need a partner, I can't assume that whatever person would also have the same favorite caliber that I do. Therefore, in my mind, it is smart for me to continue adding to my caliber arsenal.

JD
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Author of Above Reproach, the new thriller that unequivocally positions the Second Amendment and concealed carry as our nation's most effective system of homeland and personal security.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I'm fed up with "standardization" moves in my company, so I shun such things in my personal life. I need more than one size of screwdriver and more than one size of wrench to take care of the cars, and settling on one caliber for defensive use is not a priority for me.

I'm also not prone to taking on new calibers (requiring new ammo and support equipment) just for the sake of diversity.

My armory spans something like 15 calibers/gauges today, but I do have my favorites, which results in greater gun and ammo inventory in just a few calibers. For example, in defensive handguns, I could easily get by with just .45 ACP and .38/.357. For rifles, if I had to thin out the herd I'd drop the European milsurp calibers and just hang onto 5.56/.223 and .30-06. But I thoroughly enjoy my Swiss K-31 carbines and my Marlin .30-30. And .22 has a solid place in the short and long gun inventory.

I have different uses for different guns, although I have plenty of redundancy in several categories (e.g., several .38s and .45s). Firearms are great recreational implements for me as well as important tools, and I just don't see a need at this time to narrow down my available selection.
    I guess I should emphasize that I am not planning on ditching any, just I want to focus on 9mm in the future.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links