Carrying while cycling?

This is a discussion on Carrying while cycling? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Found this on one of the models I've been searching - Ruger - LCP® Product Safety Warning and Recall Notice . A recall on LCP's ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Carrying while cycling?

Found this on one of the models I've been searching - Ruger - LCP® Product Safety Warning and Recall Notice. A recall on LCP's stating: "could discharge when dropped onto a hard surface with a round in the chamber". Just thinking of that potential crash again....

2. Remove Ads

Revolver double action only will take care of inadvertent discharge. I carry that type of weapon when I MTB. If I am riding my crank forward on nice leisurely road ride then I may carry the CM9 or XDs. In any kind of hard hammer style rides double action only revolver. Sweat gard on a A IWB n82tactical.com another great option for cycle carry. I would not ever carry off body.

Quote Originally Posted by GKL7 View Post
    I did find a water resistant holster through one of the links - which might protect the gun from excessive sweat. Still a little concerned about falling hard on a gun in a way that may somehow put any kind of pressure on the trigger. Would a holster w/trigger-guard be a good option too?
    Your holster should definitely cover the trigger. I think that is pretty much standard anyways. If the gun stays in the holster, then the trigger will be safe. So I guess the key is to make sure the holster you pick will keep the gun secure even in a fall.

I have a DeSantis Thumb Break Scabbard holster for my S&W Shield and I like it a lot (but I don't ride a bicycle). The thumb break feature keeps the gun in the holster. They make it for the Ruger LCR; here is a photo. You'd need a gun belt for it too.

The Pistol Wear holsters someone else suggested look like a good idea too and no gun belt is needed. But I doubt it would be as comfortable and accessible as a holster on a gun belt.

A fanny pack using an lcr is safe and will work fine. Just get one with a good strap. You can use a pocket holster like an uncle mikes #4, then put the pocket holster in the fanny pack. They also make low profile gun fanny packs like the 5.11 (Concealed Carry Fanny Pack | Select Carry Pistol Pouch | 5.11 Tactical). I have the red gray one of these and use it biking, looks like any other fanny pack.

I have been using this with a P3AT for the last couple years. I would prefer it on my body, but a fall concerns me a little. It's still where I can grab it pretty quick if needed. BTW, it is barrel down and grip up so it fits. Keep my CHL in there as well.

fuelbeltblack.jpg

I like the idea of a small, lightweight LCP type. I wonder though.... if the double-action LCR with keeping the barrel chamber unloaded might just make the possibility of an AD as low as it can possibly get. Just not to thrilled about the size and bulk of a revolver while cycling.

I've carried a Taurus 85 alloy & titanium .38 snubbie in a fanny pack for years. Unless your revolver is old enough to not use a transfer bar, there's no worry on having all chambers loaded. The Ruger LCP issue on possibly firing when dropped was resolved in poroduction long ago, and there's a recall for pistols made before the modification was implemented on the production line.

My 5.11 holster shirt works fine under lycra, even in the drops. With a small, light pistol like the LCR, I think you could put it in a pocket holster in your rear center jersey pocket without too many sag problems. Having something hard in the small of my back during a crash worries me a bit which is why I haven't done it - probably an irrational fear.

I've been looking at the Kangaroo Carry - but just not sure how the retention would be in the drops.

Go with some of the advice above and always remember to wear your helmet:
    Meet the inflatable, 'invisible' bike helmet – What's Next - CNN.com Blogs

Holster Shirt | Concealed Carry Undergear Shirts | 5.11 Tactical just an idea, im not fam with biking or the gear worn while riding, but this might be an option?
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Go with some of the advice above and always remember to wear your helmet:
    Meet the inflatable, 'invisible' bike helmet – What's Next - CNN.com Blogs
    Ha! I saw that! I'm so excited!!!

Ruger LCP or LCR; KelTec P3AT; Kahr PM/CM9 or Sig P238/938 in a belly band. If you can wear looser (mountain bike style) shorts the .380s can ride in the cargo pockets in an Uncle Mike, Desantis or similar holster. I have tried both styles of carry depending on what I wear.

Good luck!

I ride an older Cannondale CAA7 and wear either a S&W Bodyguard 380 or Kel-Tec P3AT in a Pistol Wear Trump Card. The holster protects the gun from sweat and carries it under my jersey. Review of the holster here:

Pistol Wear Trump Card Holster Review | ThinBlueFlorida.com

Randall

I'd carry both pepper spray and a pistol. Sometimes pepper spray just isnt enough.

details of a murdered college student tried desperately to fend off attacker

Mountain biking I wear the Pistolwear.com PT-One with a G19 and a folding CRKT knife in the built-in mag pocket. Very comfortable, and very secure. Keeps my gun nice and dry, even though I sweat buckets in the Georgia heat. I hand wash it in the sink and air dry overnight about every 3rd to 4th time I wear it.

For a smaller gun, the PT-TWO would work well. I wear mine under my biking or running shorts to help conceal it better. I wear it as low as possible on the waist and pretty tight. Absolutely no movement of the gun or holster even while running. The stretchy neoprene it is made out of is very comfortable to wear. I recommend this holster to my friends that run and ride.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links