Carrying while cycling?

This is a discussion on Carrying while cycling? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I joined this forum because I'm in need of advice from experienced members. I'm a female cyclist who rides ~170 miles/wk on many quiet ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Carrying while cycling?

Carrying while cycling?

Hi, I joined this forum because I'm in need of advice from experienced members. I'm a female cyclist who rides ~170 miles/wk on many quiet rural roads. I've had to deal with the occasional pack of aggressive dogs and usually take care of this with a citronella spray that's pretty harmless, but always works. Recently though, after I was shot by a double-barrel BB gun (or similar), some officers suggested that I might think about carrying a gun. I'm not completely opposed to the idea. I've had some experience learning to use a .38 Special in my college days, but other than that, I'm not familiar with other types. I'm considering a Rugar LCR (and the training to go with it) and am wondering if I would need to be concerned with any accidental discharge in the event of a crash or even a lot of shaking (crossing railroad tracks). I'm also wondering how I might carry this (on my person or the bike considering the possibility of a crash) and how easily I might be able to get it if needed considering that I'm clipped into the pedals and my cycling shoes have knobby cleats (not easy to walk on). Do you think pepper spray would be a better option on the bike since I can grab/use with one hand? Thanks for any advice/info!!

2. Remove Ads

No modern guns will not just go off. Make sure the holster covers the trigger

Carry pepper (OC) also. Dogs always attack bikes use it liberally I will use OC if I even suspect they will bite. One crash is enough, and the unleashed dog will recover. I suggest carrying on your body ( small of the back ) or in a bike bag. This is what works for me, your milage may vary

VIP Member
    I ride a 5200 Trek clipped in on rural roads every day, and always have a Glock 19 in a Brommeland Max-Con V at 3:00. I don't know how that set-up would work for a female, but I'm sure the ladies here will have some suggestions. I switched from hard-soled shoes to mountain style a couple years ago, which allow easy walking when necessary. ADs are a non-issue with decent gear. I have gone down on loose gravel twice, and the gun remained secure in the holster both times.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    I ride off road fairly often on a Cannondale SuperV700. I carry in a CamelBak pack. It's not the fastest to draw from, but it's there if I need it.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Belt and Suspenders

Welcome to the forum...

By all means carry both pepperspray and a handgun everywhere legally permissable. Pepperspray will usually be the best answer to problems encountered, but if a firearm happens to be the best answer it will be THE answer.

Firearm carry method will involve some compromises and perhaps some trial-and- error. Take a look at Pistol Wear - Comfortable Concealment Holsters For Concealed Carry and the Safepacker atTactical Gear, Tactical Equipment, Duty Belts, Slings, USA. Also a traditional fanny pack might work for you. In addition to 12 o'clock, try shifting one around to 9 or 10 o'clock and see how it rides for you.

Notwithstanding the modern semi-auto craze, double-action revolvers are still an excellent choice. Ruger and Smith-Wesson both produce superb products. Both are absolutely safe to carry. The Smith-Wesson Airlite version gives rather snappy recoil compared to the all steel frames. If possible, try before you buy as it can save a costly mistake.

Best wishes in your quest!

I carry a LCP when I bike; but the LCR is an excellent choice. Check out belly band holsters or the Ka-bar law enforcement fanny pack. Cornered Cat - Table Of Contents is an excellent resource for ladies. Good luck!

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Depend's a lot on what your wearing and what would be comfortable for you while riding. I would think a gun fanny would work well, and would possibly be the best option, not necessarily the most stylish, but who would blame a hardcore cyclist for having a small fanny pack on? I would not attach the gun to the bike, keep it on your person.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

I do allot of cycling as well.

Bear pepper spray works wonders to train dogs about chasing us. I made foam wrap then put it in an extra bottle holder. Make sure you are up wind.

Now gun wise get what works for you I recommend a revolver like an air light or LCR. I have tried many ways to carry the best to date is a Remora IWB and jearsy or shirt over it. Dress to the gun so to speak. In other words little looser clothing top side. The fanny packs are an Ok Idea but they can be bothersome on longer rides because of the weight and how you place them may make it tough to deploy your weapon in the time of need very easily. Forget the belly band they will rub you raw because of the movement associated with pedaling. Been there done that ouch. Remora really sticks where you put it and stays put.

I don't ride nearly as much as you guys, but I've found out that in NW Wisconsin, cops don't mind much if you rig a tactical holster to your handle bars as long as the trigger is covered. I've come across more than a few angry dogs but don't really carry pepper spray too much. Usually, combining my size and loud swearing gets rid of all but one and he's all bark. The kids think it's hilarious when I swear at dogs. Don't forget your helmet! :-)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    I don't ride nearly as much as you guys, but I've found out that in NW Wisconsin, cops don't mind much if you rig a tactical holster to your handle bars as long as the trigger is covered. I've come across more than a few angry dogs but don't really carry pepper spray too much. Usually, combining my size and loud swearing gets rid of all but one and he's all bark. The kids think it's hilarious when I swear at dogs. Don't forget your helmet! :-)
    Personally, I would be very reluctant to attach a gun to the bike instead of carrying it on my person. If I get separated from my bike, I am separated from my gun.
    Tuco

VIP Member
    I bought a Kydex type holster from a LGS that was going out of business, it happened to fit my G27. It has a retention release button, and I like the retention aspect when I'm riding. In the event of a wreck, I'd like to think that the G27 will be with me, rather than sliding across the street to parts unknown.

I clip it on my pants and cover it with an extra long t shirt. I like having it, I certainly feel vulnerable when riding. BTW I havent' ridden in a while, maybe this fall.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

When I'm mountain biking, I carry IWB in my normal holster at 4 o'clock. It works well, except for the holster getting sweaty, and it hides well under the baggy pockets of a cycling jersey. A kydex IWB holster or a Blackhawk Serpa OWB would be a good option.

Thanks for all the replies!! The info is very helpful! I did find a water resistant holster through one of the links - which might protect the gun from excessive sweat. Still a little concerned about falling hard on a gun in a way that may somehow put any kind of pressure on the trigger. Would a holster w/trigger-guard be a good option too?

I haven't figured out how to carry while wearing lycra and a jersey. The best I've come up with so far is an LCP in my jersey pocket but I still worry about it tumbling out if I go down.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mark60 View Post
    I haven't figured out how to carry while wearing lycra and a jersey. The best I've come up with so far is an LCP in my jersey pocket but I still worry about it tumbling out if I go down.
    Which is one of the two reasons I don't wear lycra and a jersey.
    rgc1 likes this.
    Tuco

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links