Anyone carry a "bobbed" 1911?

Anyone carry a "bobbed" 1911?

This is a discussion on Anyone carry a "bobbed" 1911? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I have decided that my next carry piece will be a Colt Commander XSE. I do not own one, I am selling my LC9 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Anyone carry a "bobbed" 1911?

Cool Anyone carry a "bobbed" 1911?

So I have decided that my next carry piece will be a Colt Commander XSE. I do not own one, I am selling my LC9 and will be putting the cash towards the Colt. My gunsmith can "bob" the grip and I am considering it.

So, do any of you carry them?

<Background> I own no 1911s at this point. This will be my first. I have decided on the Colt because it appears I can get one and the out of pocket expenses will be mitigated by the sale of the LC9. Additionally the challenge of getting one, and the minimal availability makes me think that they will be even harder to get in the future. It also appears to be a good investment and it is one that should for all intensive purposes retain or possibly gain value.

So compared to the stock handle would you recommend for or against bobbing it? Will it affect value? Performance? Not worth the cost? etc. I encourage all of your opinions. Additionally I am not looking for other gun suggestions. This is the decision I have made and will be getting it pending economic disaster in my life or a gift of a different 1911.

*Glockman10mm and Georgiadawg if you receive an angry PM from Mrs. BigJon I apologize...but it is your fault!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    I carry a Dan Wesson Classic Commander Bobtail. I personally like it, the bob helps reduce printing and snagging issues. As to it affecting the value, it is hard to say. While it may increase the value some, I doubt seriously it would decrease the value.

005.jpg
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thats a beaut Archer51, love the trigger cuts!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member
    Nope, but I sure as heck would.

I have had the pleasure of shooting and wearing (for all to short a time) an Ed Brown Kobra Carry and it was an absolute delight to hold, fire and carry.

I liked it so much, I'm seriously considering bobbing my current project gun...

I like the look, but as far as concealability of a 1911 goes, it's kind of a second decimal-place kind of effect. The back edge of the grip won't grab your cover garment as noticeably, but it's not like the bobtail is going to make the piece disappear.
    OD* and Rhcmlc like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I like the look, but as far as concealability of a 1911 goes, it's kind of a second decimal-place kind of effect. The back edge of the grip won't grab your cover garment as noticeably, but it's not like the bobtail is going to make the piece disappear.
    The comfort factor is pretty huge, though. With a more aggressive cant, that corner has a tendency to stab ribs when twisting and leaning. Bobtailing makes it far easier on the side.

I don't own one, but I want one. So, yes I'll carry one once I get one. It'll likely be an E Series S&W.

Hey Bigjon, I will proudly plead guilty to contributing to the spreading of the gospel of JMB, and Colt.

As far as the bobtail, I think its another one of those passing fads. I carry a full size gun, and with a proper holster and cant, I'm of the opinion that its completely unnecessary. Another opinion I have is that anything deviating far from the Gov model is unnecessary. But I understand the desire for wanting different things.

But I wouldnt even let Novak cut on my Colt, but thats just me.

Welcome to the fold, brother!
    OD* likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Alright explain the cut! Is it to have different sights, the Novak ones? The commander for me will be the compromise so as to carry it. I may end up carrying a full size, but going from an LC9 I'm trying not to shock the system too much! If I enjoy them as much as I think I will there will be many more. And that is in response to shooting a llama, which was a similar platform.
    BigJon

In reference to you saying your gunsmith could " bob " you Colt. It would basically have to cut the corner off.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I see, thought it was a mod for the sights I was unaware of. Glockman, do you own other brands of 1911, or have you?
    BigJon

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    I see, thought it was a mod for the sights I was unaware of. Glockman, do you own other brands of 1911, or have you?
    Partner, it would embarrass me to say how many I have had and let go. I have had two customs, several Springers, a custom Frankenstein by Vickers, and several Colts.
    I always had issues, that I only recently figured out thanks to a few people here who are the real deal 1911 guys, like OD*, or any of the mods, that were from faulty mags I had, and I never really took the time to figure it out. I was unaware of so many magazine makers and the varying quality of mags. I now understand that about 90 percent of issues with the 1911 are mag related.

I am learning the platform, and the more I learn, the more I realize the failures I had with it in the past was the result of me having too much money to burn and too little sense to figure it out, alas, I was much younger.

The Colt with quality mags will work as well as any gun made today, I am convinced of that, and you will be too.
    JD and gasmitty like this.

Have not heard much negative about the Colts and I will keep it as original as it comes to start, but the "bobbing" looks cool to me. Definitely will try it stock and look forward to learning through the fun of trial and error as man of you all have. There are worse experiences I suppose. I considered an ria and nothing against them, but I have been greasing the wheels on the cost associated with a singular pistol with Mrs. BigJon and I've got to pull the trigger!
    BigJon

No, but I'd sure like to!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Ed Brown Kobra Carry in a VM2. The bobtail makes it more comfortable for me and I find that with that corner whacked off it does conceal a lot better than my others with a full grip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links