Spingfield GI Micro Compact round II

This is a discussion on Spingfield GI Micro Compact round II within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just had my second day at the range with the new Springer. After the first 100 rounds I had experienced several FTFs. Didn't sweat it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spingfield GI Micro Compact round II

Spingfield GI Micro Compact round II

Just had my second day at the range with the new Springer. After the first 100 rounds I had experienced several FTFs. Didn't sweat it too much as it was break in time. Field stripped it, cleaned it then polished the breach face (it was very rough) ramp and chamber. Oiled with M-Pro 7. Also took down, cleaned and oiled stock Springer mag with same.

WOOHOO! 100 rounds without a hitch! 230 FMJ and 165+P EFMJ. Amazing what a little polishing can do. Isoceles, modified Weaver, off hand no problem. While many have maligned these sub compact .45s I just keep running into people who own, shoot and love the little buggers and have no problems with them. Looks like I'll be able to join the ranks.

A few more sessions like this and I will trust it enough to be my new primary carry. Of course there are a few thinks I want to change, what 1911 owner dosn't? I find the short trigger just too short for my hands. I'll be putting a longer trigger on soon. Also will be going to the smith that tuned my LW Commander to lighten the trigger up to around 4 1/2 punds. Debating a beavertail, not sure if I want one yet. Already made some new grips out of myrtle burl and have a slightly different set of grips in mind. Time will tell. I want to shoot it some more before I make 'em.

Then of course another holster from Sam Andrews.

If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Glad its running great for you!! I've wanted a micro or compact 1911 for a long time. I bought a full size SA Mil-Spec and Like it alot, but I wish I'd saved a bit longer and gotten a more featured compact/officers model.

I too have heard constant warnings about the little guys and I respect what I'm hearing but I'd sure like to have one! Because of all the trouble folks do have, i want to go with a company that has a "stated" lifetime warranty. I'd love to ge the Kimber compact CDP II which as a 4" barrel but if it takes too much to get it to work I'm afraid they'd bail on me. Of course, it might run perfectly right out of the box.

So the other possibity is to get a GI micro from SA and then start adding features over the coming years. It ends up as a heavier weapon than the aluminum frame though but they're a WHOLE lot cheaper than the kimber and it would get me started down that path. I REALLY wish SA would offer a 4" compact!

Oh well, someday I plan on getting something that fits this dimension but for now I'll have to hear about guys like you and just dream!

God Bless
    Gideon

Sure would like to see some pictures of the little gun! Any chance we might see some?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

No worries about Kimber bailing on you. They will take care of the weapon as long as you own it or anyone else. Kimber may have a 1 year warranty but they don't abide by it. They will fix their gun no matter what as long as it's not modified. I have heard of them fixing quite a few guns for free to owners that were very open in stating they bought the weapon used. Buy a CDP with confidence. I love mine. If you start modifying an SA to get the features you want the lifetime warranty goes right out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowv View Post
    No Kimber may have a 1 year warranty but they don't abide by it. They will fix their gun no matter what as long as it's not modified.
    if this were true it would pay for them to step up just like springfield, colt, and s&w have by stating their warranty is lifetime. if my springfield were acting up like my kimber was i would have kept it and sent it back, because knowing it has a lifetime warranty tells me that the company will stand behind it. its a major marketing blunder to advertise 1 year if youre going to warranty it "forever".

Quote Originally Posted by PT-111 View Post
    Sure would like to see some pictures of the little gun! Any chance we might see some?
    I'll try and get some up later today!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

My Springer Micro Compact has had one FTF when I was first learning to shoot which I attributed to my grip. None since. I trust it as my carry weapon.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

It's not a Micro but...

I bought my SA Ultra Compact high-capacity (Model PX9701L) earlier this year. I couldn't tell if it was ever fired before and it came with everything as NIB. According to SA, it was made in 2001 with very few being produced.

I had numerous feed problems when I was first using it too. I bought new magazines and the feed problems mostly went away. I've now got at least 1,500 rounds through it, with no feed problems since the 750~800 round count. The original magazines even work now when using HP ammo of many different brands. I'm still not confident enough with it yet to carry but as long as it keeps feeding and shooting well, it will be a carry gun someday.

Last edited by Terry1810; September 29th, 2006 at 12:35 AM.

Here's some pics. Sorry for the quality, a photographer I ain't! One shows the Micro compared to my LW Commander the lousy shot is the fit in my hand.
    Attached Images

My new carry gun is the Springfield Micro Compac in the Bi-tone with the Springfield logo's on the grips. I was somewhat apprehensive when I bought it off Gunbroker but I could not resist the $665 price tag for a $1000 gun. Wow!! It shoots anything I feed it and well. It sat in a Don Hume holster all day and I did even know it was there. I love this gun and will trust my life with it. No FTF or Stovepipes or FTE. This gun is a dandy!! Steve 48

Hi Steve48 and welcome to the forum! Glad to hear you've got a good running Micro as well. Mine is still happily digesting what ever I feed it. I've recently started carrying mine in a nice new Andrews IWB and it certainly carries well.

Lead Moderator
    Nice. Glad it is running right for ya. I considered a micro but all the negative feedback from here and other sites scared me off.
    I had a few slide drop feed issues when I first got my SA Champ. and a slide release issue. Since then I have had no issues with it.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I love my SA Micro Compact. I had one FTF when I was learning to shoot, but also, it was my grip. None since then. I have a Max Con V coming to carry it around in. I can't wait ...
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

I have a Micro Compact too, posted some pics of it on a different thread and believe maybe you(?) commented on it ELCruisr. I really like mine, and have had no problems after it was broke in. Have a matching 5" GI also with no problems as well. I don't use either for my primary, but would not hesitate to do so if needed. I also have a Colt Defender and with not really note-worthy exception of the night sights on it, I like the SA's just as much.

Administrator
    I had one a few years ago, I really liked it. I had to scrap all the SA internals. After the first day at the range, I dug into it to see why it was so sloppy, and the trigger pull was inconsistent. I found the sear spring was bent wrong, it had a cracked sear. Also the mainspring was the incorrect one too. Yeah, it was NIB when I got it direct from SA!
    SO, I replaced everything except the frame,slide and barrel. After all that, it was a wicked little gun. It was one I wish I never gave away, but I knew I wouldn't carry it after all that and I didn't need another safe queen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links