Colt Gov model 15 yard groups

This is a discussion on Colt Gov model 15 yard groups within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tangle posted a thread of his excellent shooting with the super accurate Kimber 1911. So today, I wanted to see what the plain-jane Colt could ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 5 Post By glockman10mm
  • 1 Post By WHEC724
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 1 Post By glockman10mm
  • 2 Post By Tangle

Thread: Colt Gov model 15 yard groups

Tangle posted a thread of his excellent shooting with the super accurate Kimber 1911. So today, I wanted to see what the plain-jane Colt could do at the same distance. But let me say this about Tangle; man that cat can shoot! I was sweating bullets today trying to do my best at the 15 yard marker.

I am not sure that my groups were any smaller, but the thing I was trying to see is if the Colt could come close to the accurate level displayed by the high dollar Kimber. And I was pleasantly suprised with the results the Colt gave. I was able to eek out 1 four shot group and 2, three groups that measured well under 2 inches.
    In the interest of full disclosure, I did shoot 6 targets total, but was constantly plagued with a flyer one of the 4 rounds fired, so I excluded them from the mix.

But here are the results.

This was my best 4 shot group. The other two had that stupid flyer, so I left it out.

A three shot group.

I was starting to fatigue here and called it quits. But these are pretty good indicators what it is capable of.

I did have a couple of hitches with feeding due to my handloads not having a proper crimp. I switched bullet styles, and now have to change my die adjustments.

I appreciate these posts by Tangle, and find them more than note worthy. And I appreciate his skill with a handgun. I think it brings out the best in all of us who dare to stretch beyond our comfort zone. And I think it is most desirable to know just how accurate your chosen carry arm is. As a matter of fact, thats why I choose the 1911, as I believe accuracy trumps capacity all day long.

So lets get out there, and see what we are truly capable of with your carry gun, and post back your thoughts and findings.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Nice groups. And it's nice to read that you are actually mortal - your long-range G26 shooting really freaked me out.

I'll mark this thread and come back with my best (it won't be as good as yours) in about two or three weeks. It'll be with a SA 1911, a G30 and the Vaquero. I'm thinking the iron-sighted Vaquero will actually group the tightest. It's a shame I don't carry it.
    glockman10mm likes this.

Yeah! That's looking good. It's best to photograph the best of several groups for forum posting I always say. I'll bet if I shot against you those stinky fliers would plague me even more.

That Tangle character can shoot!
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Nice groups. And it's nice to read that you are actually mortal - your long-range G26 shooting really freaked me out.

I'll mark this thread and come back with my best (it won't be as good as yours) in about two or three weeks. It'll be with a SA 1911, a G30 and the Vaquero. I'm thinking the iron-sighted Vaquero will actually group the tightest. It's a shame I don't carry it.
    Dont sell yourself short WHEC, that G26 shooting several years back was just a steady hand on a good day. One day you eat chicken, and the next feathers. Out of those three you mentioned, I would have to say the Vaquero too. But those G30's will surprise you. I look forward to the results.
    Tangle likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Yeah! That's looking good. It's best to photograph the best of several groups for forum posting I always say. I'll bet if I shot against you those stinky fliers would plague me even more.

That Tangle character can shoot!
    Lol, thinking about his groups is what caused my flyers!

I don't know if you're already aware of this, but OnTarget Software is an excellent tool for measuring, and sharing shot groups
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

great shooting. I wish I could do that well.

Senior Moderator
    Hey Gman! You did great!!! That's some impressive shooting! It isn't easy is it?

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Lol, thinking about his groups is what caused my flyers!
    Funny, we have something in common; thinking about my groups is what causes my flyers, too!

Fliers can be a puzzling thing sometimes. I know most of the time when and what I've done wrong and even where the shot went before I look at the target, but sometimes I would swear I was dead on target when the shot broke and it actually hits somewhere in the next county.

Referring to your OP, the Kimber TLE/RL is not that expensive of a gun, it was priced at $1029. I priced a Colt plain jane today for $849. That's only $180 difference and the TLE/RL has front strap checkering, front slide serrations, and the rail. Without the rail, the TLE is about $95 less. That would bring the difference to about $85 and for that $85 you still get the front strap checkering and front serrations.

Thanks for posting. I admire your courage for committing to posting shooting pics and then going out and doing it. That makes for a lot of pressure. But you not only handled the pressure, you did great!
    gasmitty and bmcgilvray like this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I just love seeing those big holes the .45 makes, even nicer when the semi-wadcutters punch nice, clean-edged holes.

My groups will never hold a candle to Tangle's and G-man's!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

" My groups will never hold a candle to Tangle's and G-man's! "

For some reason, I just dont believe that!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I just love seeing those big holes the .45 makes, even nicer when the semi-wadcutters punch nice, clean-edged holes.
    Those semi-wadcutters are special aren't they!!! Like you said, they punch nice round, clean holes!

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    ...My groups will never hold a candle to Tangle's and G-man's!
    I'll just quote Gman here: "Dont sell yourself short..."
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Sponsored Links