Glock 19 shooting left

Glock 19 shooting left

This is a discussion on Glock 19 shooting left within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just back from my second trip to the range with my Gen4 19. It has been a real joy to shoot so far. I did ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Glock 19 shooting left

Glock 19 shooting left

Just back from my second trip to the range with my Gen4 19. It has been a real joy to shoot so far.

I did have one issue last week and confirmed it today - I consistently shoot left with it.

I found several posts about the issue and it seems to be a trigger pull technique problem. I shot from sandbags today and concentrated very carefully on trigger pull and it seemed to reduce the problem, but not completely resolve it. If I don't really concentrate, the shots go left again...

My question (at the risk of getting flamed) is:

Would it be terribly wrong to adjust my rear sight to compensate? If I tend to shoot left consistently with the gun, what would be wrong with adjusting the sight so that I hit bull every time? Even if I work on real concentration, I suspect that I would pull left in a stressful situation - not good.

Thoughts?

VIP Member
    It's always better to treat the disease, than mask the symptom.

Glocks like a crush grip. Try increasing grip pressure from your support hand. Let your trigger hand just handle the trigger.

I would think that matching your weapon sites to your shooting style is absolutley acceptable .

Are you left eye dominant? With a handgun it shouldn't make that much difference because generally you shoot at such close range with a handgun however it can't hurt to consider you may well be. The other issue could be too much or too little finger on the trigger itself. I used to have to wear an eye patch on my left eye it was such a problem on qual day with my M16 and it made a huge difference. Try and eye patch even though your goal should be to shoot with both eyes open with a handgun especially for faster self defense or combat shooting if there is no difference look at how much or how little trigger finger you are using and adjust if neither work get or borrow a Glock Brand sight pushing tool to knock that rear sight over a mm or two and see what happens.
    DoctorBob likes this.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

The most salient piece of information in your post is "second trip to the range" with this gun. Two trips to the gun range, even if you were shooting three- or four-hundred rounds, is probably not enough practice yet. I would shoot a few more hundred rounds, make grip and trigger pull adjustments as necessary for experimentation, and track your progress.

Keep experimenting with your grip and trigger control and if the problem persists after a few more visits to the range, then look into adjusting your sights. But Glocks are pretty consistently accurate; not the best, but certainly adequately accurate.

My .02, at least. Hope you get it figured out.

If you are using your fingertip to pull the trigger try sticking it through to the first joint or between 1st and 2nd joint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    lowercase likes this.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Drift the rear sight in the direction you want the point of impact to be.
    goldmaster and Bad Bob like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

if the gun might see defensive use, i would recommend having the rear sight shifted so your groups are centered at 20'-30'. in a life or death situation, you don't want to be thinking about the need to apply kentucky windage - aiming to one side of the target to allow for wind drift, or the gun shooting away from where the sights look (for you). my feeling is that people in such situations tend to over-correct and miss.

if, after more shooting, you find your groups shifting to the right, have the sights moved back. that's why we have adjustable sights, after all.

if you want a more definitive answer about whether it's you or the gun, have a GOOD shooter fire it. and see where the rounds hit.
    Last edited by sensei2; August 19th, 2012 at 07:24 PM.

Just adjust the sights. Everyone looks thru sights differently
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Quote Originally Posted by Clodbert View Post
    The most salient piece of information in your post is "second trip to the range" with this gun. Two trips to the gun range, even if you were shooting three- or four-hundred rounds, is probably not enough practice yet. I would shoot a few more hundred rounds, make grip and trigger pull adjustments as necessary for experimentation, and track your progress.

Keep experimenting with your grip and trigger control and if the problem persists after a few more visits to the range, then look into adjusting your sights. But Glocks are pretty consistently accurate; not the best, but certainly adequately accurate.

My .02, at least. Hope you get it figured out.

I think this is the key - definitely need more trigger time before adjusting anything.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I would take a "both/and" approach. Adjust the sights so that you've got a usable gun for now. And then work on really getting them to work for you. If you adjust the sights and then, after adjustment, you're still hitting left (which is possible) you'll know it's a grip problem. But regardless I would work to make sure you're doing what you can to fix the underlying shooting issue. Best of luck!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

ghost trigger.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Did you let the trigger out to just the reset? It makes it much easier

Sent via Mental Power

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I adjusted the sights on my first Glock for the exact same reason that you need to.... After about 2 months of practice I ended up adjusting them back.

There is no shame in adjusting the sights to help you. Like sensei2 said, " that's why we have adjustable sights, after all."
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Where do you position your trigger finger on the trigger? Are you using the tip of your finger, the center of the pad of your finger or the first joint of your finger? I'm left handed and was pushing my shots to the right. I changed my positioning of my finger on the trigger to nearly the first joint and my shooting accuracy improved. I think I was pushing my pistol very slightly to the right when I pressed the trigger. You may want to put a little more finger on the trigger and see if that helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links