My "new" compact single stack 9mm CW pick...back to the future!

This is a discussion on My "new" compact single stack 9mm CW pick...back to the future! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Like most avid gunners, I have spent a lot of time over the past year trying to select the best offering in a single-stack compact ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By tooldawg99
  • 1 Post By Lindy1933
  • 2 Post By Rollo

Thread: My "new" compact single stack 9mm CW pick...back to the future!

Like most avid gunners, I have spent a lot of time over the past year trying to select the best offering in a single-stack compact 9mm carry pistol. Ever manufacturer on the planet seems to be getting in the game, and I have personally handled, reviewed, researched or fired some of the most popular options to hit the local gun stores. The S&W Shield. The Beretta Nano. Several versions from Kahr. The Bersa BP9CC (one I actually fell in love with and bought,,,but lost to my daughter who decided it was hers). Diamondback's 380 and 9mm "glock-like" offerings. Mulitple models from Ruger... you know the drill. Throw a rock and you'd hit a new wonder-nine.

Since I "lost" my Bersa BP9CC, and I was still wanting an option to carrying the G26 on hot summer days, I took a trip down memory lane and recalled a fine pistol I owned in the 90's, and it hit me that it was EXACTLY what I was wanting in a compact flat 9mm carry gun. Some of you will probably remember a gun from Smith & Wesson called the 3913. Yes, it was introduced in about 1990. Yes, that was 20+ years ago. But it is now on my hip as what I consider to be the best proven example of a Carry 9 that has ever been produced.

The specs are:

Caliber: 9mm
    Capacity: 8+1
    Length: 6.9"
    Weight: 25 oz
    Material: Al frame, stainless slide
    Safety: Large ambi slide mount, and mag disconnect.
    WIDTH: dead on 1" including the safety lever
    Sights: integral dovetailed Novak low-mount

There are several variations of this CLASSIC S&W pistol, including the original 3913, a Lady Smith 3913 which has a more angular dust cover and a cursive scripted LadySmith on the muzzle, a 3913NL which is the same angular dust cover without the Ladysmith name (New Look, aka Non-Lady), and a Tactical option called the 3913TSW which had a tactical rail on the bottom muzzle and some black metal used for the safety levers.

I think Smith & Wesson was literally 20 years ahead of the industry on this model, and sadly it has been out of production for several years. However, it is pretty easy to find them, if you take the time to look. No, they are not plastic. If you want a plastic (errrr... polymer) gun, there are lots to pick from. But if you prefer a metal gun, which helps tame some of the recoil and IMHO makes anyone better able to hit a target because the gun weighs more, the 3913 and its' variants are well worth looking into.

There is plenty to pick from when it comes to leather. It has been a proven performer and one of the most reliable and accurate compact 9mm's for more than 20 years.

I only regret that it took me 20 years to get back to where I came from!
    Attached Images
    bunker likes this.

I also picked up a version of the 3913NL style, since it takes the same mags and wears the same leather, why not have one of each?

3913NL.jpg

Very nice pistol and nice trip down memory lane..
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

How many guns have you bought in the last twenty years to replace the perfect gun you already had? :-)
    kmagnuss likes this.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

nice gun
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I've been finding my self drawn to "old school" options lately as well. Can't beet a 3rd gen Smith auto!
    hogdaddy and TN_Mike like this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    +1
    I like the old 'metal' Smiths.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

my best gunny friend has lucked into both a 3913 and a 3953 - the DAO version - in the last six months. his wife has a Sig P-239/9mm. they're larger than most of the new, hot 9mm's, but a better choice, imo, for shooting. too large for pocket carry, but more reassuring to have on one's hip than a mini 9.

That's a really nice 3913 you got there, tooldawg99! And I agree with Rollo... there's nothing like a 3rd Gen Smith & Wesson auto! I've got a 915 that was my first gun ever, is still carried, and has been 100% from day 1.
    "A man's got to know his limitations." Inspector Harry Callahan

if you want an old school s&w 9mm then i would look at the model 39. just a little bigger, not much and is a great carry gun.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

The very first pistol I bought for myself was a S&W model 59. That was the double stack version of the 39 mentioned above. I really loved that gun.

I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

nice pick up.

It's hard to beat a good 3913. I like them too. Never owned one but I wouldn't mind adding one to the stable.

Congrats on finding what fits you best!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Sponsored Links