Thoughts on the PPK

This is a discussion on Thoughts on the PPK within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, my wife has held almost every gun created in her hands and she likes the PPK the best. Maybe because it's shiny and pretty, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the PPK

Thoughts on the PPK

Well, my wife has held almost every gun created in her hands and she likes the PPK the best. Maybe because it's shiny and pretty, but also because it feels the best (she says).
    Anyways, I hear the new ones with S&W markings are more reliable, is this true?
    How's the recoil? I figure it's mild since it's 380 and not exactly light. I would like to get her to shoot one before a purchase, but I don't know if that can happen.
    Any other issues or comments?
    Thanks, and she decided she liked this after holding-
    HKs, Glocks, XDs, Sigs, Berettas, Maks, Bersas Kel-tecs, J-frames....something else I'm forgetting too probably...

2. Remove Ads

I love my S&W PPK/S. Shoots great - wonderful reliability. Can she pull back on the slide ok? My wife has a very hard time with it. Its not a gun you want to shoot all day at the range with but its not uncomfortable to shoot.

Administrator
    The recoil spring is fairly stiff.
    For Sure...have her try to work the slide on one a few times first before you buy.
    My wife has trouble operating the slide as she does not have quite enough finger and hand strength. There is not a whole lot of slide to grip onto.
    The pistol is a perfect size for my wife though and it's a very naturally pointing and accurate pistol.
    Recoil is fairly mild.
    Do not use anything but factory spare mags.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I Had a PPK...

a stainless one. I DID NOT like mine. It was a nice looking gun and felt great in the hand...even James Bond liked them.
    But it can bite...the slide has been know to catch many...
    I also had trouble with it jamming from the beginning. The dealer (who did not stand behing his purchases...don't go there now) said I must be limp wristing. That was NOT the case. I went to a good 'smith' who told me the PPK's were not what they used to be. He noted slide wear after only a couple hundred rounds. He noted the problem in a letter to the manufacturer...who ended up with the same findings and melted and re-made the gun. I got a letter stating it was a new gun with the same serial number. The dealer sold it as new for me...No More PPK...JMHO!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Yeah, she can pull it back but with some difficulty. Nice to hear a good report.
    The PPK/S is the slightly bigger one right?

Yes. I like to carry mine on occasions - usually at church - its very thin and conceals easier than my Glock.

The ppk/s is the one with the slightly longer grip to hold the extra round IIRC.

When I bought my Bersa I also looked at the walther. The shop owner told me that the walthers sometimes have a problem feeding and need to be polished up a bit and also need to be shot a couple hundred rounds so it will loosen up a bit to function reliably.

I still want a walther and will get one but I got the bersa in nickel for now. It has been a great gun and I can leave it in the car and not worry about a $500 gun being stolen.

VIP Member
    I like my Interarms PPK/S a great deal...it is very easy to conceal.

As for the recoil, bear in mind that the PPKs in .380 Auto were designed for 95-grains at 955 feet-per-second. Much more energy than that, and it may feel like it recoils a lot harder than expected. JMHO.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I would love to have one but I hear they are finicky about the ammo. I think before I would buy a PPK I would get the Bersa Thunder .380.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

we looked at a Bersa, and she did like it but she prefered the feel of the PPK. I want to get whatever will actually be carried...
    Thanks for all the info, so far I see no reason not to try one out...

Just a thought,,, how does a PPK or Bersa compare to a Sig P232? I am very interested in buying one of these for my wife to carry. She currently has a SW 642 but she does not like shooting it. Her primary issue is controlling the recoil...

Thanks

A useful gun

I've owned a PPK for about 7 years - a blued Interarms gun in .380 caliber that I bought used. I don't shoot it a lot at the range - maybe 100 rounds per year - but it has functioned perfectly so far and never jammed. It has also not "bitten" my hand, which some people complain of.

The gun's recoil is reasonable - about what you'd expect from a 21 ounce steel gun shooting .380 ammo. And the accuracy is good, although the sights are small.

The strong suit of this gun is small size and concealability, giving you lots of carry options. The gun is very, very thin - about 0.8 inches thick through the slide. And the grip is almost as thin. The grip is definitely "two fingers", and your pinky tucks under the bottom. I have carried IWB in a thin suede Bianchi holster, or in the pocket in a Galco horsehide holster. It actually conceals better than my .38 snubbies.

I think the .380 caliber is marginal for defensive use, but I don't have anything in a larger caliber that conceals as well, so my PPK gets some use in certain situations. Here are some photos:

Walther PPK .380

PPK in Galco pocket holster

Walthers can be VERY fussy about ammo. Bersas have a pretty good rep for eating everything they're fed. Sig 230 Series guns have that Euro bottom mag release (I personally don't like that and I work for Sig) Plenty of 380 cal guns out there, and I'd shop around quite a bit before I got one. (380 guns can be fussy not matter what Mfr they are as the cartridge is short)
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Yeah, 380 is marginal but a 380 on her hip is much better than a 45 left at home. I was pushing 9mm at least but she loves the grip of the PPK. I might be able to talk her into a Bersa, but again a PPK on her hip is better than a Bersa at home.
    I think I'll get a S&W PPK (they have a longer beaver tail right?) and see how it goes, find reliable ammo and a good carry method. If something happens so that she doesn't like it- oh well, every collector should have a PPK anyways!

have you looked at the polish p-64? it is just like the ppk, but in the 9x18 round. the 9x18 is one step bigger than the 380, and one step smaller than the 9mm. the p-64 is a copy of the ppk, hard to tell them apart. you can get one around $200 plus, not a bad price for a gun that is a good shooter. now as with any gun you will need to shoot it, and/or change out some springs, etc.... i got one and it is a great gun. i have stack it up against a ppk and for the money i will go with the p-64. both guns have their drawbacks, but most/all guns do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links