Placed my Sig under my seat + went to gas station while dark outside=mistake

This is a discussion on Placed my Sig under my seat + went to gas station while dark outside=mistake within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 Baloney. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_it_bett...ets_near_empty http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_it_bett...ets_near_empty Also personal experience. Tired of replacing fuel pumps Carry on...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Placed my Sig under my seat + went to gas station while dark outside=mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Baloney.
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_it_bett...ets_near_empty

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_it_bett...ets_near_empty

Also personal experience. Tired of replacing fuel pumps

Carry on

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I think we are all creatures of habit, and seem to do the right things with out carry guns and gear 98% of the time.

those day where things are out of line like you being in a hurry, that's the 2% we have all fell into.

No spare mag, no speedloader, or in a worst case, forgetting your gun all together.

However, it's the creeps like that guy that's reason enough to carry on your person or in your car.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    It's a good security practice to keep the tank topped off so you're never in a position to have to gas up in bad places at bad hours.
    It's also good mechanical practice, if you have a tank mounted pump. I burned one up by never filling it above half. The new one never gets below half.

Glad everything worked out for you. Just one more reason to hate those pesky gun-free zones.

Edit: Looks like someone beat me to it. lol. To add to what's been posted, though. Not only is the pressure different, but a tank mounted pump uses the fuel in the tank as coolant. When you get below half, you don't have enough fuel to adequately cool the pump. THIS is what happened to mine.

spray him with the gas then throw a lighter in his face and watch him burn..... no really tho Fausty idea is a good one!! glad nothing happened!

I've never had a problem at a gas stop at night.

One night , as I was filling my car..... they were parked at the pump but not putting gas in it (4 males, age low 20's), 2 seemed to be scoping the place as to when it was a good time to rob them..... they would approach toward the front door and someone would say, "not yet, not yet" ...... then one of them noticed me. I'm relaxed, leaning against my car filling it with gas, and my hand is on my waist line (near my gun). It made him nervous I guess. He quickly had a private talk with the others nodding my direction, and they seemed to make a hasty decision to get in the car and leave.

My daughter says it's a "look" I have at times. She says when you have that "look" .... anyone with any sense knows ... it's serious. I have had interesting , to say the least, experiences with panhandlers. One then tried to turn it into a robbery... telling him I WOULD give him all of my money (when he went for the knife in his pocket, I put my hand on my gun and told him how unwise that would be), and another where he wanted to fight me because I told him I had no money on me (which I really didn't )..... and asked him to give me a couple of bucks because my billfold was empty (even showed him it was empty). None of these contacts with panhandlers have been good.

Always good to have an empty billfold in your other pocket.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkruck View Post
    Why running on low fuel is bad for your car |*CarAdvice

The Effects on a Car Running Out of Gas | eHow.com

How an Electric Fuel Pump Works

Modern electric fuel pumps are cooled by the fuel. When the fuel is lower, it doesn't effectively cool the pump as efficiently, and heat is definitely no "friend" to electronic pumps. Premature fuel pump failure is common for vehicles ran that see regularly low fuel levels.

As it has been pointed out as well; Low fuel is being poorly prepared. Part of the reason we carry is the idea of "better to have it, and not need it then to need it and not have it". Maybe you have been lucky enough never had to deal with a road rage maniac, but the last thing I would want to have to deal with is my car running out of gas while dealing with a road rage maniac! I also live "in the country" and have a family. If an event were to happen where I need to "get out of dodge" or get a loved one to seek emergency medical care, the last thing I need to do is have a gas light come on!

Back on topic,...OP: Glad you are OKAY and lesson learned!

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkykb View Post
    I bet getting sprayed in the face with gas would suck.....would be better than nothing if things went south lol.

Great lesson learned I always do this every day wait until I get into the parking spot and then put my blaster away.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkykb View Post
    I bet getting sprayed in the face with gas would suck.....would be better than nothing if things went south lol.
    especially if its cold out

Glad it worked out for you. Should have asked him if he needed a gas shower!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links