Placed my Sig under my seat + went to gas station while dark outside=mistake

This is a discussion on Placed my Sig under my seat + went to gas station while dark outside=mistake within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been a member of this forum for a little over a year and I've learned a few things. Every once in a while, I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Placed my Sig under my seat + went to gas station while dark outside=mistake

Placed my Sig under my seat + went to gas station while dark outside=mistake

I've been a member of this forum for a little over a year and I've learned a few things. Every once in a while, I read about how it's not really such a great idea to gas up your car really late or really early in the morning because that's usually the best time for thugs. Well, yesterday I committed a mistake that could've cost me my life. I have a federal government job that prohibits carrying guns into the building so I always place my little Sig P238 under my seat in a lockable compartment every morning when I pull into my parking space at work but before exiting my car so no one can see me do it. Yesterday morning, I was running late leaving my house and I placed my gun under the seat before starting the car (As stated, I usually wait until I get to work to do this). Half way to work, my gas light turned on and I pulled into a gas station to fill up. It was around 6:45am and still very dark outside. I jumped out of my car and started to fill it up when a guy came up on my blind side and asked for spare change. This guy had blood shot eyes, kept scratching his skin and looked extremely nervous. I kept gassing up my car hoping he'd walk away but then he got very aggressive and started to raise his voice. I realized my pocket carry Sig was tucked away UNDER my seat and I got a sinking feeling in my stomach as I stood outside of my car with this doped up fool next to me. Luckily, another car pulled up behind me and the guy walked away into the night. Afterwards, I took a deep breath and promised myself I would ALWAYS pocket carry my Sig until I physically pull into my work parking lot. This was an eye opening experience for me.
    Last edited by Rhcmlc; August 20th, 2012 at 12:58 AM.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

2. Remove Ads

"sure i have a few bucks for you, hold on my wallet is under my seat." is about the best you have in that situation.
    Badey, mano3, Eagleks and 5 others like this.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    I'm glad to hear things worked out in your favor. Who knows how things would have turned out if the second car didnt pull up. Rack it up as a great learning experience.
    ptco911 likes this.

I bet getting sprayed in the face with gas would suck.....would be better than nothing if things went south lol.

Yup if things started to go bad I would spray him with some gasoline and see what he would do then. Glad you are OK. God Bless
    Rock and Glock, ccw9mm and darbo like this.

It's a good security practice to keep the tank topped off so you're never in a position to have to gas up in bad places at bad hours.
    USPnTX, ccw9mm, WHEC724 and 1 others like this.

To those suggesting a spray with the petrol, I agree it is an option, just remember you usually have to hold the rubber sleeve down to spray it, as if it were in your gas tank. Was just thinking about that the other day and wanted to remind everyone in case seconds were important. Glad it worked out for you!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    To those suggesting a spray with the petrol, I agree it is an option, just remember you usually have to hold the rubber sleeve down to spray it, as if it were in your gas tank. Was just thinking about that the other day and wanted to remind everyone in case seconds were important. Glad it worked out for you!
    Plus at like $3.60/gallon it would be cheaper to use SD rounds...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I recently decided to get my concealed carry permit here in NC, took the class and just received my card. Originally, my reasoning was that I wanted to keep a pistol in my car. In NC that's considered concealed unless out in the open, which I didn't want to do. But then the more I thought about it, the more I thought of possible scenarios of going into a convenience store, or a fast food place and the "what if's" started. I brought it up with my wife also and got to the "... a whole lot of good having it in the car would do, huh?". So, needless to say in addition to my Glock 23 I purchased a Ruger LCP for pocket carry the majority of the time.

This incident you encountered is a prime example and I'm glad nothing bad happened to you. Thanks for sharing and reinforcing my ideas and decisions to carry the LCP all the time.

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    :) True Brad!
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

They must not have those around here..I can fill a gallon can without even putting the spout in the can.
    joker1 likes this.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

3.60?!?!?!?! Another reason to leave the republik
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Our gas pumps don't need condums.They practice abstanance I guess the pumps in CA have a lot sds.
    Ducmonster likes this.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

3.60?!?!?!?! Another reason to leave the republik
    LOL was thinking the same thing....would love to pay $3.60 a gallon. Was out earlier today and it was $4.10 here in northern Cali.

Sounds like he was almost prime for good ol pepper sprayin had he kept at it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links