Why I like the 1911

Why I like the 1911

This is a discussion on Why I like the 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Why I like the 1911

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar

Why I like the 1911

Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Nice shooting.

'Another Springfield fan here. I actually gave the full-length two-piece guide rod on my 'loaded' model a chance, to see if I saw any advantage. However, once I found the two-piece had come partially unscrewed when I stripped it down, it was outta there and replaced with a GI guide rod. No difference in the performance of the firearm after the switch-over, other than that I know it is more reliable now.

Oddly (or not), my wife prefers a full-size 1911 over any other handgun in my collection, and she's not a shooter. She just decided on her own that it felt and pointed the best, and shot like an ace the first time she ever shot it.

She hates my Glocks.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I swear, some people can shoot a hair of a fly's behind... unfortunately I'm not one of them, I'm lucky to hit the slice of watermelon on the dinner plate the fly was sitting on.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I swear, some people can shoot a hair of a fly's behind... unfortunately I'm not one of them, I'm lucky to hit the slice of watermelon on the dinner plate the fly was sitting on.
    Yeah, all of these accuracy threads are bumming me out too.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Secondhand owner of a Springfield 1911-A1 (with a few 'custom' bits- extended ambi- safety levers, beavertail grip safety, skeletonized hammer, and rubber grips).

Best shooting gun I own- and most accurate. Which makes me kinda sad (well, not exactly 'sad')- my 1911 is more accurate at 100yds than my .22 rifle.

I LOVE my Springfield. My first time taking it to the range, I was amazed. I had never shot groups like that with anything other than a Glock (which I am NOT proud of), but even with that admission- nothing fit my hand like this 1911.

And, just to make it better, the first time my wife shot it she stacked 8 rounds on the X at 14yds. ...then I had to fight her to get it back...
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Nice vid... nice shooting too!
    Love my springer as well.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Eventually I will add a 1911 to my stable. But for now I'm more into revolvers but have to go old school with a 1911.

Nice shooting op
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Heck, I can't even see a target that size at 50 yards.

Once again, another quality video! Nice job!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Nice video, and nice review.

As an aside, it seems I've read a lot of issues with folks bumping the slide release lever while using a thumbs forward grip. I use my support hand's thumb to keep my firing hand's thumb curled down, like how you would grip a revolver (thumb over thumb). I've never accidentally bumped the slide release on any of my pistols. While I might sacrifice some stability in theory, in practice, I see no difference, and I don't need to worry about my thumb mucking up the proper function of the gun. FWIW.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    I haven't found the caliber that's quite small enough to pick individual hairs off, but if a fly is dumb enough to land on my target it will find a .45 ACP round up its rearend.

Hehe.
    WHEC724, joker1, msgt/ret and 3 others like this.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Well I'm shocked to see any solid parts of the fly remain after taking a .45 acp round....
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

.45 is the minimum caliber I would feel safe with for fly defense. Hehehehehe
    joker1, msgt/ret and msc8127 like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Accuracy and its extreme pursuit is fun. Good video and very inspiring! Fun to see 1911s performing like show ponies. I can make hits with fair decency but couldn't roll 'em off like that, at that distance, with that speed.

"The 1911 is extremely ergonomic and that's what draws me to the handgun. This thing fits me like a glove. It's just a very comfortable handgun to shoot. It's very narrow, has the perfect grip angle and that single-action trigger is just amazing. "

"...a 1911 will make a marginal shooter a good shooter..."

Preach on brother!

What's the fellow's name? His presentation is very clear and listenable. He's self-possessed without being a jerk about it.

"Oddly (or not), my wife prefers a full-size 1911 over any other handgun in my collection, and she's not a shooter. She just decided on her own that it felt and pointed the best, and shot like an ace the first time she ever shot it."

Hi WHEC724;

My petite wife's the same way and and has been since day one. It's almost scary how much of a natural affinity she's had for the 1911.

Some 10-yard efforts with ball equivalent handloaded 230 grain FMJ round nose handloads from a Colt Gold Cup .45(what's that one doing "off towards Jonses'?").

A 25-yard effort with a really fine built-for-the-purpose target revolver, a Colt Officer's Model Match and a general purpose .38 Special handload put together with mixed headstamp brass.

Same revolver: 10 shots at 10 yards with an "accuracy" handload concoction.

The fly and the .45 is fun. I once used a .220 Swift to shoot a red wasp that landed on a target, from a hundred yards off the bench rest.

Got him with the first shot. The backside of the target showed the most wasp goo.
    glockman10mm and QKShooter like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links