Taurus pt 24/7 g2 or Taurus pt 845? are either of these any good

This is a discussion on Taurus pt 24/7 g2 or Taurus pt 845? are either of these any good within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I won't say not to buy a Taurus. But I will say I would rather shave my butt with a weed-eater and sit-down in a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Taurus pt 24/7 g2 or Taurus pt 845? are either of these any good

I won't say not to buy a Taurus. But I will say I would rather shave my butt with a weed-eater and sit-down in a big bucket of gin than to ever own one...again.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

2. Remove Ads

WT
    I recently viewed a poll on this site that found 82% of people that owned a Taurus have not had a problem with it.

Yet, practically everyone here seems to agree they're crap.

Hmm....

Have seen Taurus quality first hand through several close shooting acquaintances who have come to me with issues concerning their revolvers. One had even been a stubborn Taurus user who was repeatedly burned, finally swore off them, but after several years, again succumbing to an appealing looking revolver configuration offered by Taurus. This one was a bust too. Materials, heat-treatment, and workmanship gave every impression of being distinctly inferior. I haven't seen issues with any Taurus automatics but their appearance when closely examined doesn't inspire confidence.

I'm just grateful I'm not required to own a Taurus.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I had a Taurus PT845 that I kept for about a week. It had issues going back into battery. The trigger also had some issues even when it did go into battery. Not something I wanted to mess with. I traded it for a Glock 30, which I then traded for a Glock 36. I don't carry the G36 (just can't attain the accuracy I need to with it). My EDC is a Springfield XD40sc. If I were going to get a carry gun in 45 today, I would more than likely get a XD compact. They just work with monotonous regularity.

I'm not a Taurus hater either. I have a PT709 with over 2200 flawless rounds through it. I love that little gun.
    To add to this, the G21 is a fantastic gun, if you don't mind a full size. The G30 and G36 are just WAAAYYY too small for me. IMO, the only way to go with a .45 is full size.

My current daily carry pistol is a 9MM Taurus 24/7 G2 Compact. Wouldn't trade it for the world. I have no problem recommending them. Those that don't like them and speak ill of them are usually people who have never owned one, or if they have owned one only put about 100 rounds through them and then complain because they don't "shoot like my (PUTPREFEREDPISTOLHERE)". I used to be pretty loyal to Glock, but I realized that you will never see beauty of another if you are blinded by loyalty. I have a 3 part review on YouTube of my pistol if you would like to check into it. Here are the links:

Part 1 - 9MM Taurus 24/7 G2 Compact Review (1of3) - YouTube
    Part 2 - 9MM Taurus 24/7 G2 Compact Review (2of3) - YouTube
    Part 3 - 9MM Taurus 24/7 G2 Compact Review (3of3) - YouTube

Just my opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by ruger91 View Post
    just wondering if either of these are any good. most people really dislike Taurus and i have no experience with them, but i really like the price and i like how it looks aswell. that said looks dont save lives and i only want to spend my money on something that will be dead reliable and last. thanks for any replies and i would like any recomendations any one may have for a .45 acp that can be used for ccw. thanks again
    I personally think they are both too large for a CCW. I carry the Taurus PT 745 Millennium Pro, and have for several years. I love it, have never had any problems with it, and would recommend it to anyone that wants a good quality CCW in .45 acp. It's deadly accurate, easy to break down to clean, and got great reviews when I was looking. I own five other Taurus handguns and have never had the first problem with any of them. Honestly, the lifetime warranty got me to buy my first, and I've been loving them ever since. Hope this helps

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I haven't had any experience with the G2, but a good friend purchased the 24-7 5" in .45 auto due to the second strike feature and it being designed for the US pistol trials. I have yet to see him go through an entire mag without several failures. It seems to reliably double feed and stove pipe any ammo he runs in it including FMJ's. I am not a fan of the second strike and rather than pulling the trigger again on a dud round that will almost certainly get the same result at the first, would much rather go into failure mode, getting back in the fight. I'm tight with my LGS guys and they send way too many Taurus guns back for reasons that should have been caught in QC.

The last range trip with the 24-7 I noticed the barrel ramp extends back over the feed ramp in the frame when the slide is in it's rear most travel. Rounds being fed seem to go under the barrel ramp and get stuck momentarily until the barrel moves forward before lock up. All kinds of weirdness going on with this gun.

Asgard, I viewed the first video and found it odd that you mentioned GLOCK at least triple as many times as you did the subject of your review. I am not a hater at all, but Taurus is not the company it once was. I have felt for some time if they would just cull their lineup down and concentrate on their best few auto's and revo's they could get QC back to standards that consumers would appreciate. They instead choose to produce so many models of guns in similar, but competing configurations they make it impossible to succeed.

PT 1911 or i don't buy another taurus
    " A free people ought not only to be armed & disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms & ammo to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them including their own government"
    George Washington

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links