I would only own a Glock....

This is a discussion on I would only own a Glock.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Another opinion of the instructor from the class I took. On this one, though, I totally agree.... This is his reasoning: He has been teaching ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: I would only own a Glock....

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I would only own a Glock....

Another opinion of the instructor from the class I took. On this one, though, I totally agree....

This is his reasoning:

He has been teaching handgun classes for 20 years (or at least the school. I am not sure he has although he was a Ranger in his previously life.) He has seen thousands of guns go through the school with probably millions of rounds of ammo go through those guns. He said that the guns that broke the least were the Glocks. He did not have a favorable opinion of Sig magazines as they tend to break quite easily when they hit the concrete floor.

So this is his opinion based on what he as seen with many many different handguns shooting anywhere from 1000-3000 rounds in a weekend.

Let me also add that he categorized guns as such.

Infancy - when a new model comes out. Unproven design. Stay away from. He classified the 4th gen Glocks in this category and will only carries 3rd gen until proven
    Break in period - what he saw was that if a gun was going to break, then it probably would in the first 1000 rounds or so. Any carry gun should therefore have at least 1000 rounds through it before it is proven reliable
    Old age - Somewhere between 5,000-10,000 rounds. Parts start needing to be replaced then....then you need to go through the 1000 round break in again.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Whew! Never realized that some of my guns had reached advanced age over the last 30+ years that they've been used. Some favored handguns are considerably beyond that 5000-10,000 round count. Only recoil springs in one 1911 has been replaced on occasion as a maintenance item and a shim was added to a favorite revolver to remove some end-shake. As reliability has long been established, no break-in period at at all was considered on either handgun.

No Glocks at all were involved in this handgun aging process either.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Ah yes Glock
    oneshot likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I heard Pat Rogers (EAG Tactical) say the same thing about the 1911 - just to provide a different opinion from a highly qualified trainer who also sees gazillions of rounds go downrange.

Last class I took with him he was evaluating a .45 M&P, so it's not like he's mired in tradition.

FWIW, in my three courses with him, I never saw a 1911 go down, but I did see an H&K choke for an unknown mechanical reason, and a Glock broke something in the recoil spring assembly that made the gun nonfunctional.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

...if it were the last gun on earth.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I love me some Glocks.....
    CDW4ME likes this.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Opinions are like (Insert) we all have one.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Did someone say Glock? I even have the model 81. Too bad they don't make a crimson trace laser for it!
    ZX9RCAM likes this.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

VIP Member
    Everyone has their personal biases, including trainers.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

You have to take some of what people say with a grain, or teaspoon of salt. I love my Glock, and 1911, but there are so many good handgun designs out there that work just as well that to say that one is functionally or mechanically better able to withstand a course borderlines on absurd.

Case in point; the barrel link on the 1911 is the known weak spot, but I have had Glock trigger springs break. The CZ 75 is one of the greatest 9mm combat handguns in the world, the Sig, and HK are there too. But any of them can have an issue that is specific to design.

My opinion is that a full sized fighting pistol or revolver, has a more robust design, and its the scaled down models that will be the real problematic guns over time.
    msgt/ret, Philly Boy and Mike1956 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Administrator
    Your instructor is full of beans and other stuff.

OD* and glockman10mm like this.

To each their own but no one should limit themselves to 1 maker.
    SWIll likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    ...if it were the last gun on earth.
    Who wants some PoPcOrN?

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Opinions are like (Insert) we all have one.

^^^^^Bellybuttons????????^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    In my previous life I was a Labrador Retriever.

Administrator
    You know how caffeine really has an extremely pronounced effect on some people...and yet other folks can drink 10 or 12 cups of strong coffee a day and it will barely raise their heart rate even two beats per minute?

That is the way it is with with one chemical that is found ONLY in the polymer of GLOCK firearms.

Most shooters can own Glocks, SIGS, Colt, & S&W as well as many other assorted firearms and appreciate them all as being high quality firearms that will function admirably for the purposes of self, family, & home defense.

With some other select few GLOCK owners (like "Ranger Rick" up there in the O.P.) ~ that insidious polymeric chemical is absorbed through their skin VIA osmosis and then into the bloodstream finally ending up in the brain where it is known to mutate brain cells and cause incredibly jaded, delusional, and defective thinking.

Sadly they usually end up permanently Glocktarded and constantly babbling silly nonsense.
    OD*, 21bubba, msgt/ret and 6 others like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links