The ONLY sights you should have are ....

This is a discussion on The ONLY sights you should have are .... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Carrying on in the fine tradition of this opinionated instructor... He opined that the ONLY sights you should have on your handgun are sights similar ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: The ONLY sights you should have are ....

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

The ONLY sights you should have are ....

Carrying on in the fine tradition of this opinionated instructor...

He opined that the ONLY sights you should have on your handgun are sights similar to the Heinie Straight 8.

His reasoning is:

• You ONLY care about the front sight as that is what you focus on
    • You ONLY care that the top of the front sights with the top of the rear sight (in most situations. Ya, you need to make adjustments for distance.)
    • You need to be able to see equal daylight on the left and right of the front site
    • Night sights are fine. Nuclear is best.
    • You do NOT want any type of illumination on the rear sights as it is a distraction. Front sight is fine, but the entire front sight should be illuminated, not just a dot.
    • Multi-colored sights are useless
    • The RMR sights are a good choice, too

Now, I have big dot sights and he mumbled some unkind words about them. HOWEVER, they work very well for me for the following reasons:

• I am older and my near vision absolutely sucks. I can easily see the dot on my sights whereas I cannot see nutin' on the Heinie sights
    • I can get a left/right much easier as I cannot see the Heinie sights but I can see the post in relation to the big dot.

I was a little discouraged at the beginning of the class when he discussed all this (words are powerful) but as the class progressed, I got over it. Plus we had a few opportunities to try other people's guns and I got several rave reviews for my sights. I think I am going to keep them.
    Rigrat likes this.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Your instructor reminds me a lot of the generic youtube hero.

I guess every person that has been in a gunfight and won that wasn't using Heine sights just got lucky?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Philly Boy likes this.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

I think he is just giving opinions and assuming that all class participants are on the same level.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Yup, he's opinionated; too bad not educated, consistent, or open minded.

My Dad and Grandpa taught me how to shoot. They both showed me what worked for them. They also said to do what worked for me.
    phreddy, azretired and Rigrat like this.
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

Man, this guy certainly wasn't holding back
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

The only sight(s) any shooter should have are the ones that he trains on that work. To each his or her own.
    miller_man likes this.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I have read you other threads on this guys opinions That he spews freely in his class. This is exactly why you shouldn't believe everything you hear.

Did he spew any facts in this class?
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    Did he spew any facts in this class?
    What's wrong with you? Did you miss the part where he mentioned that it was the instructor passing along these golden words of wisdom to the lower folks?? What he told everyone, so kindly, was that everything other than his methods is WRONG, and you should take that to heart as being pure truth and absolutely correct.

As others here have already mentioned- from what the OP said, he was doing a lot of preaching.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

This guy sounds like a bit of a jerk. I'll put my 3-dot Novaks against straight eights any day of the week. When teaching a class you should state fact, not opinion. He should focus more on methods instead of what type of gear people have. Seems mediocre at best.

Administrator
    What? He didn't like the sights that were on your handgun and you still had the nerve to LIKE them? What's wrong with you?

I'm certain that (deep down in your heart) you know that the only truly great handgun sights are the ones that he uses.
    ExactlyMyPoint likes this.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    What's wrong with you? Did you miss the part where he mentioned that it was the instructor passing along these golden words of wisdom to the lower folks?? What he told everyone, so kindly, was that everything other than his methods is WRONG, and you should take that to heart as being pure truth and absolutely correct.

As others here have already mentioned- from what the OP said, he was doing a lot of preaching.
    Oh yea... My bad.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Well, do you want to know what the -true- best sights are? The ones you train with and the ones that you are used to. When you get the new nuclear, super x-ray vision, homing device sights on your gun, there's still the familiarization period that is required at the time of change. Even the cheesy plastic target baseline sights that come on the Glocks when new are better than anything else, if that's what you are most familiar with.
    "If it bleeds...we can kill it." -Dutch, Predator

I have a set of each kind,three dot,two dot(over/under),single front dot,big dots.They all work for me,honestly can't tell much difference.Even the Glock factory sights work well.I'd like to try Speed Sights though.Looks like an interesting concept.Speed Sights

Truism: instruction can be instructive on many levels.

It's particularly true when opinions masquerade as facts and when assumptions bias the delivery.

Sounds like the instructor in question is a fount of information, but he'd be far more useful if he'd cut out the opinionated biases and focus on what's true. Such as, one could more-usefully say: "BigDot sights were developed to be more visible under certain conditions, and many (particularly those with vision problems) have reported they find them to be highly useful; whether you do will be up to you."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links