SHTF - Let's get real, folks

This is a discussion on SHTF - Let's get real, folks within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; (I posted this on other gun forums.) Iím just a few months shy of 62 years old and have been hunting upland game since I ...

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree199Likes

Thread: SHTF - Let's get real, folks

(I posted this on other gun forums.)

Iím just a few months shy of 62 years old and have been hunting upland game since I was nine. Iíve spent one year, 10 months, 13 days and 22 hours serving my country in the U.S. Army from 1969 to 1971 as a military policeman sentry dog handler (but whoís counting?). At the ripe age of 38 I began hunting big game with a .44 magnum Model 629 Smith&Wesson revolver and also rifles in later years Ö mostly whitetail deer and pronghorn antelope.

In 2005 I bought my first Glock, a Model 27, after despising their looks for nearly 20 years. Since then Iíve bought and sold more than a dozen of them, trying to find the right combination of concealment, accuracy and reliable stopping power. Currently Iím in the process of going to only ONE Glock, a Gen 4 Model 26, which matches up nicely with my wifeís Gen 3 Model 26 (for ease of sharing ammo and magazines). I spend most of each year in Arizona and summers at a family fishing cabin in Minnesota; both locations have a shotgun with extended magazines and fiber optic turkey sights. I practice extensively with the Glocks, shooting IDPA matches and the occasional ISPC match at the club level. When the clubs offer a shotgun side match, I bring along the shotguns.

Given all that background, I have to say I am genuinely puzzled by the threads I read here and in other gun-related forums about the sheer volume of guns and ammunition being stockpiled for a time when the SHTF. Whatís that all about? Are there people out there who really think theyíre going to be barricading themselves in their homes surrounded by loaded weapons and ammo and they are going to be attacked in such a fashion that theyíll be able to arm all their family members to hold off Ö what? Hordes of zombies? Ravenous vampires?

Folks, letís face it Ė the odds of any of us getting into an armed encounter are VERY remote when we are out and about, but the odds of our homes being invaded are even MORE remote according to a friend and neighbor who is a retired Chicago police officer (30 years on the force between 1962 and 1992). My friend says home invasions were one of the RAREST forms of violent crime during his time in one of the toughest cities in the nation.

Just like there is a feverís pitch over President Obama taking away our guns and ammo, thereís some sort of a group delusion that society is going to rapidly crumble away and weíll be able to survive and re-build because weíve got lots of guns and ammo. As far as the facts are concerned, all Obama has done is affirm the Bush decision to allow concealed carry in national parks (for those with permits). Oh, and his administration declined to challenge the Supreme Courtís decision a couple years ago supporting the Second Amendment in Washington, D.C. Thatís it. Everything else is hype by fear-mongering people who might have a profit motive Ö hmmm, like perhaps the NRA and the companies that manufacture firearms and ammunition.

My guess is that most of the stockpilers are going to leave their children and grandchildren a wealth of weapons when they pass away and perhaps that is a positive outcome. But, the chances of getting any practical use out of that arsenal are about as likely as a pile of gold dust hitting the fan and blowing into my safe deposit box (or the hole out in the back yard).

Just my 2 centsí worth, IMHO.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - Tom Waits

I hope your right. I think you probably are right. That being said, it's their money. If they want to spend it on massive amounts of ammo and canned goods and toilet paper, who am I to judge. I'm writting this in my home office which has 4 computer monitors in it. It looks like freaking mission control for the mars rover in here. I'm sure the majority of people would argue that I surely don't NEED that...
    JerryMac, nerdyvirgin and baren like this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Lets hope you are right. But like the Boy Scout motto, "Be Prepared."
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, ďmore elegant weapons for a more civilized age.Ē

Administrator
    Given all that background, I have to say I am genuinely puzzled by the threads I read here and in other gun-related forums about the sheer volume of guns and ammunition being stockpiled for a time when the SHTF. What’s that all about?

I think that some atmospheres in the U.S. cause some folks to believe that certain firearms, magazines, and ammunition will become increasingly scarce or unavailable so they tend to buy and stock up on what they feel they may not be able to buy at some possible future point in time.

I don't think that with many folks it's about attacking Zombies or marauding invaders or bloodthirsty vampires or complete societal collapse and ensuing chaos.

And (of course) if life remains calm and peaceful (as we all hope that it will) many people will have a lot of extra ammunition to shoot up at the range.

I think the media is to blame. The likes of Glen Beck scaring people with pictures of Nazis marching down the streets soon. There is a growing distrust of our government being pushed by the talking heads on TV who get paid for ratings. People are being whipped into a paranoid frenzy. Some of them see shadows behind every tree. Buying guns and ammo out of fear preparing for doomsday. A sad way to live with such fear, distrust. It goes to show the power of the media. Fear is what sells...plain and simple...it's all about the money.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Oh I am all about the zombie apocalypse!!! I'm kidding but it is better to be over prepared vs underprepared. Same reason many of us carry. We will probably never have to use it, but will be glad of we do that we have it.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I liked your mini-rant except for what your friend the ex cop says. Cops aren't exactly known for their great record-keeping abilities, so using his as a reference to get your point across wasn't very effective. A better one would be something along the lines of "The FBI has determined through 58 years of records keeping that in the city of Chicago you are 133,984 times more likely to get struck by lightning while walking your dog backwards in a clown suit than to have your house broken into while you are home." Which of course we all know is complete BS considering that in the united states 10% of all houses will have a break in EVERY year... my source? The FBI.

I don't plan to wreck my truck tomorrow, and most likely won't.

But I do have insurance on that truck.

Ammo is money. And as such, you just can't have too much. Better to have more ammo than you need than not enough. I'm no doomsday prepper, but I like having a ton of ammo on hand.

If I can't toss it in a backpack and get the hell outta dodge, I don't need it.
    BenGoodLuck, BurgerBoy and jbum like this.

Good response. Thank you one and all. Sig 35, I couldn't agree more, on both sides of the political aisle. Kmagnuss, I'll have to check those FBI stats ... seems to me the crime rate has been actually falling the last 10 years or more.

SHTF/Zombie prepping is just a way to rationalize buying all the guns and weapons you want but don't really have a need for! lol

VIP Member
    The argument that food/ammo stocking is not necessary based on likelihood of actual need, is logically no different than an anti ridiculing someone that chooses to carry a firearm.

The crazy person is always the one who chooses to prepare more than I do.
    kmagnuss, W9HDG, atctimmy and 1 others like this.

Same as food. Some folks think we are nuts for stockpiling food. We have the money, so we spend it. Just like insurance.
    atctimmy likes this.

Kmagnuss - I cruised the FBI website and couldn't find the home invasion figures you cited. They don't actually show a separate category for that, as far as I can see, but property crimes, like burglaries, have been going down quite a bit in recent years. If you've got a link, please send it along.

Distinguished Member
    I tend to believe there are a few easily possible senarios where SHTF prepping is a good idea. There have been plenty of natural disasters where people were on their own to survive for a few days. I could see something like that added to another catastrophy or attack and things could get ugly quick.

I can see how it could be a complete waste, and like anything else - people can take it way too far. But I know I like having a good stash of water, working on getting a good stash of food, and having a small but decent little stash of ammo. And I also like having a BOB ready to get out of dodge if need be too. You never know, tommorrow you could be on your own - no power, no water, no food, no police.
    niks, atctimmy, wraithls1 and 2 others like this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Links