Unmodifiying my Glock

Unmodifiying my Glock

This is a discussion on Unmodifiying my Glock within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I drank some of the Kool-aid and modified my Glocks with all the "gotta have" accessories. As of today, I am removing the extended slide ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By glockman10mm
  • 1 Post By joker1
  • 1 Post By barstoolguru
  • 1 Post By ExactlyMyPoint
  • 1 Post By glockman10mm

Thread: Unmodifiying my Glock

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Unmodifiying my Glock

I drank some of the Kool-aid and modified my Glocks with all the "gotta have" accessories. As of today, I am removing the extended slide lock and extended magazine release as I find them causing pain and discomfort when shooting. I am keeping the extended slide stop as it does work very well. I am now seeing the wisdom of Mr. Glock as the current configuration does have its strong points.
    Last edited by ExactlyMyPoint; August 21st, 2012 at 04:57 PM.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Cool

Are you like a multiple personality? In one thread you want to know about a front sight remover, then another thread about RMR sights, and now you are doing an " unmodification".

What the hell are you wanting to achieve? I cant keep up!
    sparkykb likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Sometimes simple simplicity is best.

Glock on!

To each their own but I don't modify my guns in any significant way.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

My EDC GLOCK 19's only modification was performed by the holster it rides in. Not even so much as a .25 trigger job. It's perfect.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Other than the extended slide release and a dab of orange paint on the sights, my Glock is "as issued."
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

instead of an extended mag release try a bigger one, it accomplishes the same thing w/o sticking out
    Glock Magazine Release | Brownells

As far as the slide lock Glock does not put a big one on there for a good reason. In a stressful situation it is hard to find the release so they recommend releasing the slide by pulling back on it and allowing it to slam forward.
    Last edited by barstoolguru; August 22nd, 2012 at 12:59 AM.
    First Sgt likes this.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Are you like a multiple personality? In one thread you want to know about a front sight remover, then another thread about RMR sights, and now you are doing an " unmodification".

What the hell are you wanting to achieve? I cant keep up!
    Hmmmm.....which voice should answer this question????

I am about to purchase two new Glocks. A 19 and 26 (contrary to that instructor's admonitions about Glock 26s). I am going to put on the XS big dot sights so I was curious about the REAR sight remover.

I tried the RMR sight at the class I took. I liked the sight picture, but not sure about the whole enchilada. It felt weird and I was wondering what others' experience was. It was also close to $700. Heck, I could almost buy two new guns for that.

I also discovered that the modifications I made many moons ago really weren't working for me, so I am going back to stock.

OK. Three answers, three voices.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

If you're going to change rear sights often, then I would suggest getting the sight tool. Glockmeister has them cheaper than Glock, and you can also find a lot of DIY engineered stuff on EBay. Then again.....maybe you could make your own tool cheaper than the commercially available ones.
    Ever wonder what we'll do without the internet?

It was the New England "Divine", Henry David Thoreau, who said:"Simplify, Simplify, Simplify!"
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Senior Moderator
    Smart move - if it's not working for you don't use it. I found the extended mag releases painful myself. I may try one of the extended slide releases though. That'd be easy enough for me to do since it's stock on my G34. Kind of interesting that Glock puts an extended slide release on their tactical/practical G34s and G35s.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    Hmmmm.....which voice should answer this question????

I am about to purchase two new Glocks. A 19 and 26 (contrary to that instructor's admonitions about Glock 26s). I am going to put on the XS big dot sights so I was curious about the REAR sight remover.

I tried the RMR sight at the class I took. I liked the sight picture, but not sure about the whole enchilada. It felt weird and I was wondering what others' experience was. It was also close to $700. Heck, I could almost buy two new guns for that.

I also discovered that the modifications I made many moons ago really weren't working for me, so I am going back to stock.

OK. Three answers, three voices.
    Okie Dokie, I understand. You can never go wrong wjith the KISS approach.
    ExactlyMyPoint likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Stock is the way to go. I like the stock slide stop lever. I think that my grip might engage the extended lever and cause a malfunction.

I think Glock puts the extended slide stop lever on the 34's and 35's because they are commonly used in competition. Competition shooters are obviously concerned with speed. The extended slide stop lever can be very fast. I train for SD, so I use the hand over top method to rack the slide. Under stress fine motor skills like hitting the slide stop lever can diminish. A gross motor skill like the hand over top method will be easier to do if that is how you train.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

When you are really good you can slam the magazine in there just right and the slide will release by itself and sometimes they call you "Cracker Jack".

I haven't perfected this yet but it is pretty helpful.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Sponsored Links