Best Sub-Compact .45 for Concealed Carry - Page 2

Best Sub-Compact .45 for Concealed Carry

This is a discussion on Best Sub-Compact .45 for Concealed Carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by cswant88 My idea of outrageously priced is paying $800 on up for something that has no business being that expensive. Take Kimber ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Best Sub-Compact .45 for Concealed Carry

Quote Originally Posted by cswant88 View Post
    My idea of outrageously priced is paying $800 on up for something that has no business being that expensive. Take Kimber for example. Sure their guns are good, but probably not any better than other 1911s out there. I think $500 is a more reasonable price for a reliable weapon. I have no interest in paying for looks.
    Roger that. Your options are pretty limited. Glock 30, 36, Kahr CW45, a used PM45 or the XDS right now.

Just found this as a starter; he's not real knowledgeable about firearms, but thought it showed some good in hand comparison shots if nothing else: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHF4s1B4yPg

If I were personally to choose between the CW45 and the G36, I'd go with the G36. That little less height makes all the difference in the world with printing. That's actually where the XDS will shine, but you loose a round and gain a slight (perhaps negligible) amount of weight.

Don't forget, the XDS does have an external safety; albeit it is a grip safety like a 1911. Don't know if that matters to you as much as one you have to "actuate" with your thumb. I would think not, but it is a concern to some people.
    sensei2 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Glock 30SF. I love mine.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Quote Originally Posted by ejes View Post
    The Glock 36 (which I carried as an issued sidearm for 8 years) will get you very close to the PM45 at the CW45 cost or less.
    The difference between the Glock 35 and the Kahr CW45 are negligible. The 36 is 5/8" longer than the CW, but almost exactly the same in height and width. Just bouncing around the internet I see the CW45 selling for about $200 less than the Glock 36. I own a Kahr currently, and I like it, but the 36 is still on my list for consideration due to Glock's reputation for reliability. Glock 36 selling for approx. $550

Sorry, I get my Glocks cheaper at an LEO price and should have realized you perhaps could not. You are correct, the CW45 would be cheaper.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I'm assuming the suggestion of the CW45 over the PM45 or P45 is because of price, right? From what I've seen, the SA XDS 45 & Kahr CW45 are the best choices. The Glock 30SF & 36 are not that small, IMHO. For me, I'll stick with my P45, which I prefer over the Glock 36 that I used to have. It's not that I don't like the 36 (I do), but the P45 is smaller & thinner, while packing the same amount of rounds in it. However, given the budget, I'd say the CW45 is hard to beat.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I sold a Kahr PM9 and Kahr MK9 for the XD-S, no regrets... it's the gun I wanted all along, they finally came out with it.
    The XD-s is a god looking gun. Its smaller than both the Glock 36 and the Kahr CW45. Price isn't too bad either; along the same lines as the G36, but I'm really not liking that 5rd magazine capacity. Yeah its only one less round than the G36 or CW45, but one round can be the difference between life and death, especially if you are facing more than one bad guy. Hopefully the second guy would run away when he sees the first go down, but people are crazy these days.

Springfield XDs with the 7 round mag

Sent via Mental Power

<----- This (New Agent)
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

SIG SAUER P220......either Compact or Carry model. Double action/single action with no safety. More accurate than a Glock30sf, and yes......I have the Glock also. Sig makes high quality firearms.

Glock 36, 30 or M&P 45c are all good choices. I just went through this myself and decided on the M&P, but if I had to "settle" for a G30 or 36 I woulda been okay with it.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Here CM9 vs XDs
    Attached Images

I'm going through the same search right now. I am getting rid of a Kahr PM40 (when I get it back from the factory for the second time) because it keeps breaking mag followers. I carry a Glock 23, but would like something smaller, and would like something in .45. I held a Glock 36 the other day and liked it, just not sure though. The Kahr I held that day seemed larger, I think it was the CW45. Have lost faith in Kahr though. The XDs seemed too small. Maybe I'll just buy a 9mm pocket gun like the LC9. I've thought about going to a 1911, but don't neccesarily want to learn a new platform. Maybe a Rock Island 1911 to try it? I'm all over the place trying to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by cswant88 View Post
    Curious to know your experience with the CW45. The price is definitely attractive. I am currently carrying a Kahr CM9 and have had 1 FTF out of about 800rds. Any problems with the CW45? Are there any types of ammo that it just refuses to shoot?
    I had a CW45 and had ZERO issues with it. I sold it to fund a 1911....which I no longer have. You're already familiar with Kahr so check it out. Have you thought about the PM45?

My Glock 30 sf is a honey to conceal. Great weapon.

I can only speak for the Glock 36 and Kimber Ultra Carry, but since the 1911 doesn't fit your requirements, I can say I don't see any other sub comp 45 out there I'd trade my 36 for. And even if the 1911 did fit your requirement, I'd still pick the Glock. And i'm not even a Glock fanboy. Size, accuracy and reliability is what it is for most people myself included, in a carry gun.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links