Best Sub-Compact .45 for Concealed Carry

This is a discussion on Best Sub-Compact .45 for Concealed Carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking to get a .45 to replace my Kahr CM9 as my carry gun. The CM9 has everything I desire in a carry gun. ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Best Sub-Compact .45 for Concealed Carry

Best Sub-Compact .45 for Concealed Carry

I'm looking to get a .45 to replace my Kahr CM9 as my carry gun. The CM9 has everything I desire in a carry gun. It is compact, affordable, no safety, and reliable (after some minor modifications to the magazine). All that being said, I still desire a larger caliber. These are the things I am considering for this purchase. The gun must be compact. I know it isn't easy to find a tiny .45, so I'm looking for as compact as possible. I want to carry a round in the chamber, but I do not want any sort of manual safety. This pretty much rules out a 1911 or similar guns that are single action only. Even though I don't have to use the safety, the fact that it is not there to become accidentally engaged gives me peace of mind. I prefer a nice long double action trigger pull as my safety. The gun must also be reliable, and not outrageously priced. Anybody know of any good guns that fit the bill? I would like to explore all of my options. I don't want to risk overlooking an ideal gun, that is why I'm asking for suggestions. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like a Glock to me.............30SF, 36....?

I'm VERY tempted by that XD-S. You can't go wrong with the G30sf or G36.
    JerryMac likes this.

VIP Member
    Look at the Kahr CW45. I carry one daily and have no problem concealing it when I decide to.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Kahr CW45....smaller than a Glock 36 and $200 less.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

+1 for the XDsc

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Colt New Agent is a nice option....
    cookfromAZ likes this.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Or you could wait like me for the Ruger LC45. JK.

GLOCK!
    GhostMaker and cpg113 like this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Look at the Kahr CW45. I carry one daily and have no problem concealing it when I decide to.
    Kahr CW45....smaller than a Glock 36 and $200 less.
    Curious to know your experience with the CW45. The price is definitely attractive. I am currently carrying a Kahr CM9 and have had 1 FTF out of about 800rds. Any problems with the CW45? Are there any types of ammo that it just refuses to shoot?

I sold a Kahr PM9 and Kahr MK9 for the XD-S, no regrets... it's the gun I wanted all along, they finally came out with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddle View Post
    Diddle, I carry a Colt Defender, and I would recommend the same, but he said a manual safety is not an option.

OP, you weren't specific about what would be outrageously priced, but the Kahr PM45 is lighter and has less height than the CW45, but it carries one less round. The Glock 36 (which I carried as an issued sidearm for 8 years) will get you very close to the PM45 at the CW45 cost or less. I found it to be a great carry and very reliable. I've read on the boards of a lot of bugs with the XDS right now. If you can wait a few months, it might be an even better option.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddle View Post
    I've carried mine for years and it's been a winner -- accurate and reliable with all types of fmj and jhp ammo.

Not much fun for really extended range sessions though. Got just a bit of recoil.

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Coltman 77 View Post
    I've carried mine for years and it's been a winner -- accurate and reliable with all types of fmj and jhp ammo.

Not much fun for really extended range sessions though. Got just a bit of recoil.

???

He said:
    I do not want any sort of manual safety. This pretty much rules out a 1911 or similar guns that are single action only.

OP, you weren't specific about what would be outrageously priced, but the Kahr PM45 is lighter and has less height than the CW45, but it carries one less round.
    My idea of outrageously priced is paying $800 on up for something that has no business being that expensive. Take Kimber for example. Sure their guns are good, but probably not any better than other 1911s out there. I think $500 is a more reasonable price for a reliable weapon. I have no interest in paying for looks.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links